Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2005 3:52:01 PM EDT
I was wondering about the parts count on my WASR, So I sent an e-mail to Century Arms about it..here was the reply I got:

Subject: Wasr rifle  Posted by Bernie (Staff)

As originally assembled the rifle should have a US made pistol grip, folding stock, trigger, hammer, sear/disconnector. It would also have either a US made piston (the US part has a plain face on the piston and is secured with a weld, the original is pinned and has a blued face), or a US flash hider.

Date: 05-16-2005 7:12am EST

So if my thinking is right, I can't just take my Tapco side folder stock and install a Romy Folder on it, I would also need to replace annother original part with an american part to keep the parts count correst...I think I'm reading this and understanding this correctly...If not, please let me know, because I want to be able to prove I'm legal..Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to provide here.
PS: It still has the Romy Piston and carrier in it.But has a US slant break..At least I think it's US, how would I tell? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be correct.
You could change out the gas piston.
You could change out the handguards.

And THEN, put the Romy folder on it.
I'd make it all black with poly HG's and a black PG, Romy folder. Oh yeah....
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah..how are those black handguards? Do they hold up to the heat? I was thinking about getting the black lower handguard, and the black upper maybe from Tapco, then going with thr Romy folder..that would be perfectly legal right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah..how are those black handguards? Do they hold up to the heat? I was thinking about getting the black lower handguard, and the black upper maybe from Tapco, then going with thr Romy folder..that would be perfectly legal right?

The black HGs made by KVar are flat out awesome and much superior with regards to heat. You could also but the KVAR lower HG on and a US steel vented upper tube from FAC. That combo would really handle heat well IMO.
I have 2 AKs with the KVAR black HGs and one with the KVAR lower/steel vented upper. All are awesome but of course they're mine.

TAPCO's stuff, unless imported, is of rather poor quality IMO, and I have no experience with their HGs.
Their Galil style handguard is enticing however, I will admit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
KVAR..Hmmmmmm...this is getting to be an expensive addiction......I love it though..I think K-var is going to get an order from me in the very near future.....I just hope I'll still be talking to my wife afterward..
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Century was very helpful to me when I emailed to ask about the compliant parts on the AK and the FAL I bought.  This is what they said about mine:

WASR: This is listed as our item RI1072D-N. The parts to check for will be the hammer, trigger, sear/disconnector and piston. Yours was sold with the dragunov type stock so I do not include the pistol grip in this list. Some were also released with US magazine parts (follower-floorplate; these mags should have a large sticker on the side to distinguish them). The metal parts will be marked by a small "C". The US piston does not have a blued head like the original and is secured by a weld on one side rather than the pin usued for the original.

The foreign parts came to exactly 10 as mine did not come with US mag parts.  That meant when I threaded the barrel, I had to use a US made slant brake.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone who has responded..as a follow-up, I would like to add that after alot of severe scrutiny, I have determined that all the U.S. Parts either are stamped U.S. Or have the small "C" stamped on the part.  The Trigger/Hammer/disconnecter all have the "C" stamped on them, The hand grip and Folding stock have US on them, And the slant break has a "c" stamped on the bottom..I'm going to print this thread and all letters to Century and keep them on file to prove legality if I ever needed to...Thanks alot fo all your help.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top