Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/22/2003 9:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/22/2003 8:23:10 PM EDT by Engineer]
A few weeks ago, for lack of anything better to do in the evening, I whipped out the Dremel and started a pistol grip conversion project on my Saiga 7.62. The BBT dropped off a nice little package from K-var yesterday and after a quick trip to Home Depot for some screws, things are coming together.

Here she is, so far:

There are still some more things left to do including fitting of the safety and installing a feedramp (hopefully enlisting the help of the great Campybob).

With this project almost finished, I've found that just about any monkey with a Dremel, a drill press (thank you, Harbor Freight), a hammer, some punches, a screwdriver and a can of Krylon can do the conversion. Grinding down the rivets and then popping out the leftover bits had to be my least favorite activity, but in the end, I didn't bugger up anything too bad. I'm not sure if I'll undertake another conversion anytime in the near future, but this one has sure been a great learning experience and left me with a great sense of accomplishment
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:17:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Engineer:
<snip> I've found that just about any monkey with a Dremel, a drill press (thank you, Harbor Freight), a hammer, some punches, a screwdriver and a can of Krylon can do the conversion. <snip>

Did you get a job at Century??
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:22:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:

Did you get a job at Century??

I don't think I'm qualified - I still don't know how to install a front sight so that it is canted. So far, mine seem do be coming out straight - I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:34:07 PM EDT
Sweet. Now if you can get the ugly Saiga handguard changed out for a normal one that would be something indeed.

I think it would be nifty to have a sort of 20" barrel AK-103 job. It could be a 7.62 equivulent to that 20" barreled AK-74M3 deal.

To make it extra cool you would have to get a new gas block on there with a cleaning rod retainer, plus a new FSB with one too, and maybe 24mm threads, plus an intermediate rod retainer like those used on the RPK. It would be a truly unique conversion if you're up for it.

AK-74M3:

You could have an "AK-103M3" or something to that effect.

Pop a Polish synthetic 7.62 mag in there and you would have almos the exact rifle above only in 7.62x39mm.

It would be way cool!

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:32:37 PM EDT
AJjer_Bullets,

Believe it or not, I'm actually kind of partial to the Saiga handguard. It's different than all my other AK's and makes this one a little unique. I'm probably done with the project though - and put money towards some optics for the rifle.

I managed to get the feedramp in tonight with the help of a 6-32 tap, so Bob can sleep easy now knowing that I won't be pestering him for help!

Here's the before and after shot:

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:25:35 PM EDT
Engineer
Looks good, I agree with you on the saige handguard. If you want a cheap and easy way to plug those extra rivet holes, go to Lowe's in there fastener dept they sell black plastic plugs. The smallest size fits the holes perfectly, just push in and they snap in place. They look like a rivet head. The rear hole I did have to dimple the stock 1/8 inch in depth.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:41:22 AM EDT
Very nicely done on the feedramp. Yeah, gotta do something about those holes. I personally prefer to fill them with weld and grind flush, but it's up to you.

take care,
Tec
Top Top