User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 7:22:05 PM EDT
You've got a receipt

MAJOR VICTORY FOR FIREARMS OWNERS
AND FREEDOM IN LOUISIANA

On Thursday, NRA filed a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to block authorities from confiscating law-abiding citizens' firearms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  Today, we are happy to report, the Court sided with NRA and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable, law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Federal Judge Jay Zainey granted NRA's motion for an indefinite temporary restraining order and ordered  those in power to cease and desist gun seizures.  The authorities were also ordered to return guns seized by them or their agents to anyone "...who lawfully possessed them, upon presentation of identification and execution of a receipt therefore."

Commenting on the ruling, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said, "This is a significant victory for freedom and for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The court's ruling is instant relief for the victims who now have an effective means of defending themselves from the robbers and rapists that seek to further exploit the remnants of their shattered lives."

Joining LaPierre in hailing the U.S. District Court decision was NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "This is an important victory. But the battle is not over. The NRA will remedy state emergency statutes in all 50 states, if needed, to ensure that this injustice does not happen again."

The controversy erupted when The New York Times reported that the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons." ABC News quoted New Orleans' deputy police chief, saying, "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

NRA also pledges that it will continue its work to ensure that every single firearm arbitrarily and unlawfully seized under this directive is returned to its rightful law-abiding owner.

Although this is great victory, we still need to hear from members who have been a victim of this gun confiscation initiative.  If you have personally had a gun confiscated in Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina hit, please call (888) 414-6333.  Be prepared to leave only your name and immediate contact information so we can get back to you.  Once again, we are seeking contact information from actual victims of gun confiscation in Louisiana only.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
cool, but I'll believe it when I see it. Damn news won't cover it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF?  a receipt?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
cool, but I'll believe it when I see it. Damn news won't cover it

so you only belive what you see on the news??  

it's on the front page of nra.org

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if the cops confiscating the guns were handing out receipts, I doubt it.  If they mean a purchase receipt, Ihope they weren't lost in the hurricane.  I have plenty of firearms that I have owned so long, had built or bought from private parties that there are no receipts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark it down...NONE of the firearms seized will ever be returned.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Knock Knock Police we're here to confiscate your guns because of the hurricane an thefts. Reply Nobody is home. All the shit going on and they were picking up guns WTF! A buddy of mine that is local police in TX stopped some LA cops for speeding. Yeah they where leaving LA, good to know you can count on them in a time of need.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Knock Knock Police we're here to confiscate your guns because of the hurricane an thefts. Reply Nobody is home. All the shit going on and they were picking up guns WTF! A buddy of mine that is local police in TX stopped some LA cops for speeding. Yeah they where leaving LA, good to know you can count on them in a time of need.

I personally belive that there is an extra hot place in hell saved for cops like that.  There is no excuse to just leave the job in such a time of need.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah forgot to mention the fireman with the cops.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WTF?  a receipt?  

What if the cops say they lost your original 1894 Winchester in a tragic boating accident???
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF?  a receipt?  

What if the cops say they lost your original 1894 Winchester in a tragic boating accident???

Well, I remember that rifle having had perfect original bluing and all the original paperwork zip tied to the buttstock....and I want to be paid accordingly!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone hear those reports on the news about some NO cops taking part in the looting there? Apparently, folks were saying some NO cops were going into businesses and people's homes stealing goods.  NO cops have had a pretty bad reputation for corruption for quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone hear those reports on the news about some NO cops taking part in the looting there? Apparently, folks were saying some NO cops were going into businesses and people's homes stealing goods.  NO cops have had a pretty bad reputation for corruption for quite some time.

there is a video around of NO cops looting the walmart... I cannot seem to remember where the link is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The verbiage is kinda clouded, but it sounded like the firearms would be returned upon presentation of an ID, and a receipt would THEN be given the person (or recorded in the government's books) that they received it back.  

Cluster....  Should have just kept your guns.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there is a video around of NO cops looting the walmart... I cannot seem to remember where the link is.

Here you go:

www.thatvideosite.com/view/614.html
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top