Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 5:45:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 5:54:36 AM EST by 45B10]
Posted in the Valmet/Galil Board that I thought it was a Galil but its a VALMET Hunter.Looked on Gunsa America.Are they really that High?

Went to a fun store and on the shelf there was a Rifle that I hadnt ever seen before.At first glance I thought it was a Saiga but it had a Valmet receiver.I couldnt find anything on the rifle but an oval with a 386 in it,Norinco and
Valley Gun
LA Ca
It was a milled or forged receiver.It had the stock like the Siaga but the hole was there for the PG behind the Trigger Gaurd.So what is it.Any ideas?Ive kinda started to figure out the pre/post Aks by there markings or lack of markings but have no idea here.If I was quessing Id have to say the receiver was a PreBan.Price on this peice was just 200.00.If it is a Valmet receiver Ill pick it up exp if its a Pre.Might make a good future project.Thanks,45B10
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:53:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:58:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/10/2003 6:37:11 AM EST by CockedandLocked]
Campy
Its not an AK.I just looked on GA and they have some VALMET Hunters.Thats exactlly what this is.The mag well is slanted and the rear receiver is slanted.Trust me Im AK dumb but this isnt an AK.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976211725.htm

I dont know if itll link but the above is the rifle
like I saw
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:07:27 AM EST
I have a Norinco Hunter right here. Let me know if you want a pic. It is a mid-ban gun between 89-94, and came with a 5rnd plastic mag.
I like it, great stock trigger,very smooth to shoot, aperture sights with very long radius, took care of my desire for a 20" 7.62x39 rifle without actually getting a SKS. Paid $250 for a very nice one, and Campy still teases me about it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:10:42 AM EST
Just click on RSA post on this forum about 1991 AK info, see the article, see/read exactly what I am talking about. It's a Chinese Norinco (Northern Industries Company) Hunter model.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:27:34 AM EST
RS39
Its hard to tell from the Pics on the tread but it could be the same rifle.There are some diffrences I can see though.Mainly the sights and on this rifle there was some kind of retainer holding down the receiver on the rear.I put it next to an AK he had there and there where several diffrences.Guess it may be an AK variant?Just didnt look like one Ive ever seen.Is the one on GA that I tried to link a Norinco Hunter also????Thanks,45B10
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:47:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 6:50:07 AM EST by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:25:36 AM EST
The GA pic is a Valmet since it has a Galil 50 rnd .223 mag in it (Galils used Valmet receivers when first built).
There is some variation among the Hunters from Norinco, about 4 as far as I know (can't find the link now for the chicom ak fan's site). Mine also has the rear peep at the back of a bolted down receiver. Very secure setup on mine. The one you held in the shop seems to be just like mine. Some have holes in the side of the receiver for a scope rail mount, mine does not.
IMO a better deal than a SKS, and it lets you go off in the woods without being bothered by those who do not like non-sporting guns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 12:53:38 PM EST
Campy
Sorry for doubting you as you are right as allways.Learn me somethin though.Why the change in the receiver design??The Mag well threw me way off.Since there isnt anything besides 386 and Norinco could it be a PreBan receiver or one that slipped thru Customs unmarked??Most all post AKs Ive seen have Sportster,Mak,NHM,Blah,Blah,Blah.This one didnt say Hunter or anything just 386 and Norinco.Could that date it prior to the Import ban or???Thanks,45B10
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:09:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 1:10:18 PM EST by themao]

Originally Posted By RS39:
The GA pic is a Valmet since it has a Galil 50 rnd .223 mag in it (Galils used Valmet receivers when first built).

Can't be. Galil magazines will not work and in fact are very dangerous in Valmets. The angles are different.

www.valmet-weapons.com/Valmet_magazines.html

That said, the gun dealer should be taxed and regulated out of existence (Diane Feinstein style) for having such a contraption with a Galil magazine, if it is a Valmet hunter (which I doubt if there's Norinco markings).

themao

Anyone want to take over Argentina with me?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:07:40 AM EST
OK so it is a look alike mega mag in the rifle at gunsamerica. But the Galil still started with a Valmet receiver:

http://remtek.com/arms/imi/galil/galil.htm

The Galil's most immediate predecessor was the Finnish Valmet M62 rifle and, in fact, early Galil prototypes were fabricated using M62 receivers made in Helsinki.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:40:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:23:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By RS39:
OK so it is a look alike mega mag in the rifle at gunsamerica. But the Galil still started with a Valmet receiver:

http://remtek.com/arms/imi/galil/galil.htm

The Galil's most immediate predecessor was the Finnish Valmet M62 rifle and, in fact, early Galil prototypes were fabricated using M62 receivers made in Helsinki.

That I do not dispute. I was only talking about the magazine. I should have taken your last comment out of my quotation. I went to fast.

themao
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:00:22 AM EST
Mao-No problem at all, it's all about learning. And I learned form your earlier post since I had been told elsewhere that Galil mags and Valmets were still compatible.
Kinda like USGI and USA mags for the AR, both look ok at 5ft, but just try them and you'll find the difference...
Top Top