Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2009 6:52:20 PM EST
Okay this is a new guy question.

I just got my first AK. It an AK-47-C from Buds Gun Shop made by Inter Ordinance. I was initially VERY impressed with the fit/finish and smooth action of the bolt and trigger. Then I broke it all down and noticed that the receiver is warped. I would assume that the receiver twisted when the side supports were welded into place. It has a about an 1/8" bow to the left that causes the barrel to be about 1/2" out of line with the receiver at the tip of the barrel. The barrel is clearly straight on it's own but the receiver is NOT. Everything else on this gun is real nice for a $499 AK... Is this kind of thing normal for a stamped receiver AK's or should I get it replaced by IO? I'm planing to send it to them on Monday unless you guys fell it's normal for a stamped AK to be like this.

Thanks, Jason.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:56:17 PM EST
Every g-damn one of 'em...
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:58:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By ftldrben:
Every g-damn one of 'em...

For REAL? It looks like a damn boomerang if you look at it close from the top...

Are there any other posts where others have the same confusion?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:07:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2009 7:07:33 PM EST by ftldrben]
I was reading it too fast...

Yes: EVERY ONE OF THEM IS WARPED / TWISTED / ANNOYINGLY CROOKED AS ALL HELL.

It's the worst think about AK's.

That's what every g-damn one of them was supposed to mean.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:12:29 PM EST
My WASR is like that. It's a good thing the rear sight is not part of the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:43:27 PM EST
Is your WASR your only AK? Or is it your only AK that has a warped receiver?

Thanks, Jason
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:45:54 PM EST
It's my only AK.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:55:43 PM EST
If mine are it's not enough to notice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:03:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2009 9:03:48 PM EST by space_weazel]
Mine are straight
WASR
SAR-1
NoDak
Arsenal
Saiga
Saiga
Saiga

You could send it back to IO or get a NDS-3 from NoDak and have a local builder swap the parts over and repark it, and you will have one hell of an AK, I had a DC Romy G kit gun that some fool put together I had it swapped over to a NoDak and added the AK-100 series folding stock at the same time, and it's probably my nicest rifle to date.
NoDak: http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm $60
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:24:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2009 1:25:43 AM EST by POLYTHENEPAM]

Bullshit, ignorance or troll?
Whichever it is, pay no attention.
None of mine are out of line, including the ones I built myself.
If it is warped, send it back.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:07:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:

Bullshit, ignorance or troll?
Whichever it is, pay no attention.
None of mine are out of line, including the ones I built myself.
If it is warped, send it back.

X2 Never seen it befor !! Send it back.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:34:42 PM EST
out 10.....none are or ever were warped.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:10:46 PM EST
My first build was. A couple twists in a vice took care of that.

Send it back.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:54:14 PM EST

Negative, negative, negative. Sometimes it can happen but a good build will not have any noticeable bow, bend, or warp.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:03:03 PM EST
I thought so when I first bought them, but last time I opened the safe I caught my yugo cuddling up with the AMD a little too close so now I have to wonder
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:12:42 PM EST
That doesn't matter though because everyone knows guns are females, and who doesn't like a little girl on girl every now and then?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:00:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2009 4:01:12 AM EST by 1saxman]
AKs 'made' in the USA might have this problem. My TGI-built 'AMD-65' (SA2000M) has it, and the barrel bore line extended to the rear would miss the center of the rear trunion by about 1/4". This is a cosmetic flaw that has nothing to do with function or sighting, but is one of the typical flaws in these 'builds'. If you ever get your hands on a real factory-built AK, you will find no such bends or misalignments. That is why everybody is excited over the new Zastava single-stack rifles being imported. They are being made in the factory in the former Yugoslavia that made the military small arms. With FEG out of the game, this may be the last properly-built AKs we'll ever see.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:10:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:26:45 AM EST
Well the good news is that I received an email from Bud's Gun Shop this morning and they accepted the return of the gun for an exchange. It's at my FFL now and they are sending a UPS label to ship it back.

I have not received a response from IO on this issue yet.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:43:43 PM EST
Well, thanks for the input guys. Upon return to Bud's Gun Shop the staff there was impress to see how tweaked the receiver was and offered to exchange it. But after they attempted to hand pick another AK-47-C they noticed that all of them had a slight bend to them. Apparently mine was the worst of the bunch but they didn't think I'd be happy with the others they had so I was offered a refund, which I gladly took. As soon as I got off the phone with them I ran to the safe, grabbed some cash and headed to the local weapons dealer to procure a new Lancaster side folder that is totally straight and slick as a whistle.

The guys at Buds were real stand up guys and I WILL continue to send them all the business that I can. They paid for return shipping and refunded all of my payment including the CC fee and shipping insurance that I paid. WAY TO GO BUDS!!

Jason
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:55:28 PM EST
I take that back, I had one. A 74 built by Arsenal Houston, the trunion was installed crooked. You could only tell when you took the hand guards off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:56:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 6:57:16 PM EST by sporter]
...nevermind.

Glad you got it taken care of.
Top Top