Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:16:11 AM EDT
Posts deleted after 30 days? must members repost same infor every month for it to be available?

Virtually none of the picture links work in the saved threads.

I wanted to view a thread I saw last week, gone.

I wanted to read up on what sights, and optics people are using, nothing.

Sure post to this board, but it's a practice in futility. No one will be able to search for your post in 30 days, what's the point?

Concerned Newbie.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:23:01 AM EDT
Get a membership, the posts dont "go away then."

They are just hidden to the cheap.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:30:39 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:37:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dace:

Niiiiice attitude.

Yes this place is becoming less useful as it gets bigger. The people who know thier stuff go away as the place becomes cluttered with young know it alls.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:56:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 8mm:

Niiiiice attitude.

Yes this place is becoming less useful as it gets bigger. The people who know thier stuff go away as the place becomes cluttered with young know it alls.

I exactly answered his question with truth. I dont see what the problem is?

Thos people are still here, they just dont answer the same questions that get asked over and over. Look at any rel thread with technical information and you will see the whose who of AR-15.com posting in it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 7:18:21 AM EDT by Dace]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:51:12 AM EDT

Niiiiice attitude.

I exactly answered his question with truth. I dont see what the problem is?

Thos people are still here, they just dont answer the same questions that get asked over and over. Look at any rel thread with technical information and you will see the whose who of AR-15.com posting in it.

I agree with Dace. Get a membership, makes things much easier.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:05:45 AM EDT

slartiblartfast
J­oined :: November 2005
Post Number :: 1

Originally Posted By slartiblartfast:
Is this board becoming useless?

And the award for "Most Ill-Conceived First Post, Ever" goes to...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:38:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:

slartiblartfast
J­oined :: November 2005
Post Number :: 1

Originally Posted By slartiblartfast:
Is this board becoming useless?

And the award for "Most Ill-Conceived First Post, Ever" goes to...

Just noticed that!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:49:16 AM EDT
this is the romanian AK section......what the hell do you expect?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:57:32 AM EDT
No, its just you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT

Welcome to the site!

The membership is well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:20:46 AM EDT
You can save the threads in your Favorites if you don't have a membership. Hard to keep up with, though. But that's what I did for quite some time......

Until a generous benefactor sprung for my membership. I will most certainly keep it up when it gets close to expiration. The "My Active Topics" feature alone is worth the price of admission, IMHO.

And to 8mm......... someone (Dace, IIRC) made a good point about the "Who's who" ppl still being here (many of them, anyway), but just not answering the same question(s) every week/month/etc.

Go to the Archive Server (another benefit of Team Membership). Even the folks who have left the board live on through their threads/posts on the Archive Server.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:22:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wise_jake:
... The "My Active Topics" feature alone is worth the price of admission, IMHO...

Amen!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:11:03 PM EDT
i have "my topics" and "active topics", and im not paying..is that right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:19:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dieter122:

But you do not have "My Active Topics" and a host of other things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:18:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dieter122:

But you do not have "My Active Topics" and a host of other things.

nope....I didnt know you get new buttons...ah well
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:18:15 AM EDT
So far, this is slartiblartfast's first and last post (using the "regular" search feature, which is available to all).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:09:17 AM EDT
FWIW, I sent an email to webmaster@ar15.com asking about using code words for membership payment via paypal, and it bounced back as undeliverable.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:20:57 PM EDT
What are "code words" for membership payment? Is that so PayPal doesn't reject it as "gun-related"?

FWIW, I would post your question in the "Tech Support" forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=3

Best,

Jake.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:29:45 PM EDT

What a bunch of derogatory bull that is. By calling all non-team members cheap, you just insulted thousands of people here. You know, Once Upon A Time, there was a concept on the internet where the exchange of information on message boards was unconditionally free, with the unrestricted collective effort of shared information/resources that could be accessed equally by anyone being the ultimate model in helpfulness and the brightest, most magnanimous and altruistic hallmark of the human experience: free sharing of knowlege. See Wikipedia.com if you want a prime, wildly successful example of this concept. But those days are now just about over. It's all about the God Almighty Dollar now. Wherever you go on the internet, pay up or hit the road or get chastised by the paying "elite". No, the revenue generating advertising banners are simply not enough anymore. There is now a price of admission to pay for information/education that should be free for all. Everything the internet was originally designed NOT to be. And please folks, save your arguements wrt the "bandwidth costs" arguement and the "server/memory bank upgrade costs" arguements - they don't apply here because these sites are generating much more revenue than what they are paying for to maintain such. And yeah, all those hardware costs are getting cheaper everyday as technology advances while membership enrollment gets bigger and the revenue gap increases.
So feel badly about yourselves you non-team member cheapskates, you're not the "elite" (ie: money contributors) so go crawl back under your rocks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:35:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By omon7:

What a bunch of derogatory bull that is. By calling all non-team members cheap, you just insulted thousands of people here. You know, Once Upon A Time, there was a concept on the internet where the exchange of information on message boards was unconditionally free, with the unrestricted collective effort of shared information/resources that could be accessed equally by anyone being the ultimate model in helpfulness and the brightest, most magnanimous and altruistic hallmark of the human experience: free sharing of knowlege. See Wikipedia.com if you want a prime, wildly successful example of this concept. But those days are now just about over. It's all about the God Almighty Dollar now. Wherever you go on the internet, pay up or hit the road or get chastised by the paying "elite". No, the revenue generating advertising banners are simply not enough anymore. There is now a price of admission to pay for information/education that should be free for all. Everything the internet was originally designed NOT to be. And please folks, save your arguements wrt the "bandwidth costs" arguement and the "server/memory bank upgrade costs" arguements - they don't apply here because these sites are generating much more revenue than what they are paying for to maintain such. And yeah, all those hardware costs are getting cheaper everyday as technology advances while membership enrollment gets bigger and the revenue gap increases.
So feel badly about yourselves you non-team member cheapskates, you're not the "elite" (ie: money contributors) so go crawl back under your rocks.

you're gonna need thicker skin around here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:06:23 PM EDT

You are a hoot. Thanks for joining the site.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 11:29:57 PM EDT by npd233]

Niiiiice attitude.

Might want to re-think that answer, 8mm. Are you one of those "young know it alls"?

Ooops.. Wait a second....

Wait for it..

wait for it..

<­BR>
I found one...

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:33:45 PM EDT

You remind me of that guy in the movie, "Ice Pirates" that is screaming "power to the people" while in jail about to get his nuts chomped...

You should post more often. If it weren't for posts like yours, I wouldn't come to this site. You and your like keep things from growing stale.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:10:09 AM EDT
never mind. I went to the store and bought a membership, and paid via paypal.

Yeah, I was concerned about paypals anti-gun crap, with a domain like AR15.com.

Non issue, so far, I guess.

John

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 8:34:19 AM EDT by VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:10:35 AM EDT
Well, a much-delayed (since Nov. 2005) "welcome" to the site, and congrats on your Team Membership (I feel it's very important to note the distinction between the two). I strongly doubt you'll regret it.

That said, I'm a cheapskate with a Team Membership (a generous Team Member sprung for mine).

That said, in several months (whenever mine runs out), I will *still* be a cheapskate, but I *will* renew my Team Membership. It's not a lot of add'l *content* (keeping with the Avila's original wishes to provide the actual helpful, weapons-related info free of charge), but it is a lot of additional services/features for the price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:31:22 AM EDT
Crap, VA-gunnut beat me to it. Then again, his post was a bit more eloquent, not to mention the fact that he "speaks for the site" a bit more than I do. But enough of the ass-kissing........

I would only like to add, if I may, that (much like Wikipedia, to borrow a previous poster's analogy) anyone who adds valuable content* is considered to be "contributing to the site" and, as such, is very much appreciated.

Best,

Jake.

* be it an area of expertise such as history, training, tactics, politics/legal, weapons systems, or just adding valuable contributions to discussion topics or asking "good questions"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:27:50 AM EDT

I kinda agree with you.To some people here,your knowledge is only based on whether you had the 25 bucks to spare or not.Sometimes I think that if Eugene Stoner joined this site and didnt pay the 25 dollars,his first post on the strength and weakness of the AR-15 rifle would be met by many "shut up you nonteam member noob/troll"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:34:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
First, let me say that no one is required to become a Team Member on this site. The membership fee is considered a donation to the site. Yes you get somethings in return for the donation, but joining isn't required of anyone.

Second, if you have chosen to help support this site, then thank you for doing so.You shouldn't try brow beating anyone else into doing so. Sharing the fact that members get extra features is fine, but calling non-paying members cheap isn't cool. We don't want to force anyone to join as a member.

With that out of the way. You do get some extra features from being a Team Member. They make navigating this site much easier. Here is the link to all the features you get for which level membership you purchase: store.ar15.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Memberships

So if you wish to support the site and get some of the extra features, that is great. If you don't wish to, that is fine as well. It is up to each member to decide what they want to put into and get out of the site.

Just think how much better this site could be if some would heed this advice.I was a member for allmost 4 years before buying a membership.I put it off cause all the asshole losers that liked to rub it into peoples faces about nonteam members and didnt want to give anyone the satifaction.However I decided with all the info I got from the site(suprisingly some from nonteam members) I decided to help support the site.Oh well
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
lol, what does all this have to do with Romanian rifles?

PS: I think the membership thing is BS... I'm not paying $25 for anything in the internet. The internet is free!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:58:11 PM EDT
+1.

When I saw it in Active Topics one day, I thought "Are the AK people about to schism?"

BTW, when I renew my TM (since my initial TM was purchased for me), it will be the only think on the intarweb I have ever paid for. The great thing is, 99% of the content is free! And 100% of the firearms-related content worth having is free. The value-added part (IMHO) comes from the services. Also, I think of the Team Membership less as a "pay for play" or "pay to play" and more like leaving a tip at a restaurant for exceptional service.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:51:32 AM EDT

Hi, once I've joined, how far back will I be able to see the old threads? TIA!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT
$1187 A MONTH

Now that Im disabled that's what I get back from 40 years of paying them weekly. And of course that is TAXED. And of course they deduct medicare. now were down to $1099 a month. I go to MANY forums, to meet people, exchange info, and try use the want ads to try & save every dime I can.

Quilty as charged on the cheap thing.

I have no choice.

I simply cant afford to give.

If the owners need pay members only, its their bandwidth, and mostly their TIME to even keep up a high traffic site. THEY DON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE ANY FREE OPTIONS.

I have been a monitor of some "well known" hunting forums & chat rooms. Its a no win job. Someone is always pissed. They always will be. Human Nature.

But im not whining. I use the free forums, and if that means saving more posts, digging a bit deaper for topics, and surfing a bit more than paid members so be it. I really think this site gives me much more freedom than other such sites.

And yes, I get the "guest" thing brought up in every forum I use. Bothers me not. Just human nature for those that pay to be a bit higher up the totem pole than those that don't.

When I hit the lotto, I'll join them all! (if this backward ass state ever gets a lottoh,

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:44:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 9:45:54 AM EDT by WolfFox]
Become a paying member if you want the extras, if not don’t. No, big deal. There are those you take and those who give. Some give with their knowledge of the subject. Some give my paying for the band width, service and equipment. Then there are those who just take. It's up to the individual. Whether you are someone who can't afford it or won't pay for it, this site is for anyone to be part of. That’s why it has free memberships. I personally can afford the less than 7 cents a day to support something that has helped me learn about something I love to do. To me it is worth it. I’ve already saved much more than that from learning from others experience and/or mistakes.

OH! Plus you get to get into all the secret places other can't get into!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 10:13:55 AM EDT by cnow]

dude, get over it. this site is free. some of the features that you cant access to make searching this sight a little more easy doesnt fall under the freebie status, but so what. this "ultimate hallmark of the human experience" that you are referring to is free. and if there is a hidden, secretly guarded holy grail mystery that the evil greedy capitalists are hoarding behind their elitist cigar club,members only door, then so be it. the next time you ask a question on this site and get the reply: sorry, those are the kind of answers only members can know", then call up al sharpton or ted kennedy, maybe they can help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:40:55 AM EDT
This stuff gets funnier with each post.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:49:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:

But how the heck could he have known that?

I admit he came in swinging, and shouldn't be shocked when someone swings back, but seriously............

I believe in treating people with the same respect I want.

I remember over 5,000 posts ago, if someone had snapped my ass, I'd flipped them off on my way down the road.

To grow the site.............and to succeed it must grow..........we have to welcome new enthusiasts.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:31:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:

But how the heck could he have known that?

I admit he came in swinging, and shouldn't be shocked when someone swings back, but seriously............

I believe in treating people with the same respect I want.

I remember over 5,000 posts ago, if someone had snapped my ass, I'd flipped them off on my way down the road.

To grow the site.............and to succeed it must grow..........we have to welcome new enthusiasts.

I find it strange that this guy has been a member since 11/3/05 and hasn't posted once on anything ever before this. I know some people lurk but come on surely you must have something to add.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:30:16 PM EDT

I find it strange that this guy has been a member since 11/3/05 and hasn't posted once on anything ever before this. I know some people lurk but come on surely you must have something to add.

Some people will create a new user account so that they don't tarnish their user name when discussing something unpopular.

Can someone answer this for me?

How far back will I be able to see the old threads once I'm a member?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT

Never fear. I know all there is to know about building Ak's. This year on my 19th birthday I got a new punch and hammer kit for my birthday so I did alot of build practicing. You need to know stuff just ask me
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:32:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Neutrino45:

03 or 04 if I remember right.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:46:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:48:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Neutrino45:

Can someone answer this for me?

Team Members:
Roughly 5 years back to 2001.
5 years = ~60 months
60 months = ~1800 days

Non-Team Members:
~30 days back to November 27, 2005 as of today.

Team members have access to 100% of all threads/posts in the database
Non-Team members have access to approximately 1.6% of all threads/posts in the database.

That Non-Team percentage grows smaller with each passing day.

dude, get over it. this site is free. some of the features that you cant access to make searching this sight a little more easy doesnt fall under the freebie status, but so what. this "ultimate hallmark of the human experience" that you are referring to is free.

I don't think that Non-team members having access to approximately 1.6% of all threads/posts makes your above enlarged & bolded statement a valid one. I believe not having access to approximately 98.4% of all posts/threads actually makes searching this site for information extremely difficult and frustrating. Otherwise, I respect the remainder of your post, thanks.

All i'm really trying to say is the information in the database is a collective effort by everyone participating in the threads (whether paying or non-paying members) and they donated their knowledge to this collective database for free (whether they realize it or not). Now that information is currently being dispensed at a 98.4% to 1.6% ratio for Paying members vs. Non-paying members.
Is 98.4% of the information here posted by Paying members? Is 1.6% of the information being posted here by Non-paying members? All I'm doing is trying to make a simple point. I'm not a disgruntled, bitter guy muttering profanities under my breath here late into night, seething and losing sleep. I just wanted to make a point to the person who commented on non-paying members being "cheap". I hope that fellow can now see that most of the information he can get access to as a paying member was provided by Non-paying members.

Folks, either way, I respect what the Avila family and some other selective individuals affiliated with this site and various other ak-related sites have done just the same. Yes, I agree with you cnow that they are providing a very useful service which is primarily free. No doubt about it, these such individuals have contributed something very worthy and noble to the interested. I am not against anyone here, I just have my own individual opinions and concerns on the pretenses of how the infrastructure of collective/shared, archived knowledge is being distributed on the internet as of recent. I believe a better (fairer) model could be found, one that doesn't give another individual the impetus to take an elitist attitude to another because he paid for access to information that was mostly given up freely (and usually by a non-paying member) to the database to begin with. What is any site without everyone equally contributing? I'll tell you first hand that I've held back on posting my own knowledge due to the fact that I can't check it against older information. Plus, what I'm posting may be redundant - will I know that? - no, because I can't see further back then 30 days. And so blah, blah, blah, i'll spare everyone now, this is way too long but hopefully you can see what I'm trying to get at here. Thanks for listening.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:01:18 AM EDT

"..........All I'm really trying to say is the information in the database is a collective effort by everyone participating in the threads (whether paying or non-paying members) and they donated their knowledge to this collective database for free (whether they realize it or not). .............."

Some good info, omon7

But I am not sure of your point. Are you saying it isn't worth it? Or it IS worth it?

you will or will not pay?

An argument could be made that the site would enjoy more participation by "giving" all access to everyone.

Especially since the lion's share of costs are carried by board sponsorships/advertisements (I think)

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:31:45 AM EDT
Top Top