Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:04:32 PM EDT
I have given up the AR thing, screw it. I am tired of all the accessories you have to buy to make it better. I want to get into AKs. I want kind of a starter gun to experiment with. Here in Dallas, I usually see WASR-10s that go for about $329. Eventually I want to start building them. For now I just need something to keep me interested until I start really getting into AKs. Is there anything wrong with Romanian AKs. I know enough about AKs that some people think they are low class. Do people think this just because of the low price?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:12:07 PM EDT
Nothing wrong with them at all. Romanian AK's are great as is the price. You can always trad up later if you so desire.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 4:27:27 PM EDT by Marco]
Nothing bad about a Wasr. My first AK. Once I shot enough thru her, I could hit most anything btw 50-75 yards. This is min and Ive only invested in a Romy side folder($32.00)
and $8.00 in refinish supplies. Neutral soft wax makes the receiver ;ook pretty good. And the best part is i paid so little for it($320.00) at a shop so no extra fees, and bought another AK, a Yugo M70 AB2

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:07:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
We see a lot of WASR's come in and go out the door where I work. Aside from being pretty rough, most work just fine. Once in a while you'll get one that has problems with accepting mags, but it's not difficult to fix.

+1

The first rifle I ever owned after turning 18 was a Wasr during the ban, only thing wrong with it was barrel cant, which you can't pick out if you order it online but you can see it if it's at a fun show or at a fun store.

other than that, it ran fine for 4 years with probably about 3000-4000 rounds through it without ever opening it for cleaning! Before I sold it, I had to scrub the thing out with some heavy duty cleaners, it was so dirty but still ran fine. Since then I've had ARs and no AR I know of can go through that many rounds and not start giving problems.

BTW, you dont HAVE to buy anything for an AR to make it better. Buy a name brand and they're a good gun right out of the box if thats what you want.

+1 again.

I have also kinda been burnt out the last year or so on ARs and am getting back inot the AK game with one of AK-USA's 74's in my hands very shortly. I'm sure after a few years and a few more AKs I'll get burnt out on those and go back to being obsessed with ARs

But new-arguy is right, a good manufactured AR out of the box, which is pretty much now-a-days any of the top name brands is an excellent rifle, and there's really no real reason to add anything else unless you have the time and money, same thing goes for the AK, you can now add nice optics, different sights, grips, stocks and what not, still a great rifle out of the box.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:35:05 PM EDT

BTW, you dont HAVE to buy anything for an AR to make it better. Buy a name brand and they're a good gun right out of the box if thats what you want.

I agree but thats not what I meant, im tired of people judging each others rifles because of their "bling".

I like the beauty of an untouched rifle, just plain and simple, thats why I am starting to love AKs.
Thanks for your help guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:26:04 PM EDT
Ok you can think and feel what ya want but if you feel youre being judged on your AR as to what BLING you have or dont have you got some issues bro. And you can and will run into that same problem even with something as simple and wonderful as AKs. Theres nothing wrong with a WASR theyre a great buy for the price the barrel cant can be fixed and its a great gun to play with for the price
. GL
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 11:51:45 PM EDT by Atreides]

I like the beauty of an untouched rifle, just plain and simple, thats why I am starting to love AKs.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The accessory market has been laying it on real thick over the last couple of years. I got caught up in the game about 6 months ago and threw a bunch of junk on my BushMaster M4. It looks cool as hell but it isn't as fun to shoot as my bare bones CAR15. Now that gun is a hoot.

I don't think the Kalashnikov was ever meant to have a bunch of stuff hanging off the foregrip and everywhere else a rail can be attached. But the accessory guys have been hard at work trying to catch up with the AR15 market, and I think that's a shame. Even a rail on the front stock seems to take away shape from an AK47. The Kalashnikov has a classic profile that's instantly recognizable. To tell you the truth, so does the AR with her Chevron front site post and that classic carry handle, but slap a gas block on it, shave the carry handle, change the stock and hang a bunch of accessories off of her like an Aimpoint, Flashlight, BUIS, Laser, Vertical grip, and all of a sudden that rifle takes on the shape of the generic battle rifle.

It'll be a sad day when the same happens to the AK...and that day is soon.

Oh, and Melvin? Ain't a thing wrong with a bone stock AR15. As the others sais, it doesn't NEED anything to "make it better". Anything that isn't on your AR15 to begin with isn't really needed. I totally understand where you are coming from with the Bling Factor.

Romanian AK's are your 'basic' model AK. They are the essence of the mass produced assault rifle. I'm new to the AK scene myself, but I have shot a couple of Romy AK's. Both of them had a bad habit of whipping the crap out of my trigger finger, but I am told a good FCG or a trigger job would fix this. They are fun to shoot otherwise.

The Kalashnikov was build in a totally different way from the AR15. It's kind of a wonder how the AK47 has enjoyed the success it has. It is a great design that was produced in the most economical way possible...Nice way of saying it was built the cheapest way possible. But unlike the U.S.'s greasegun of WWII the AK's can boast superior craftmanship. The AK proved to be an excellent battle rifle: EXACTLY what it was designed for, and was MASS produced because of it. The world market became saturated with the design not only because it was cheap, but because it worked. That's why the AK has a reputation of being a cheap rifle. What it lacks in refinements it more than makes up for it with it's reliability and longevity. Alot of 3rd world countries use AK's because they were easy to obtain, and thus the "Low Class" reputation. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH AK'S. They are certainly the most prolific battle rifle in use today. Yes, they are made using stamped sheet metal instead of forged steel, but think about it: So are HK's and they cost 5-6X more per unit if not more.

Just like me, you're getting into the whole build scene a little late buddy. At the end of the month a ban on "AK kits" including barrels will go into effect. So...if you got some building in mind, you should go out and get them kits now while you still can.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:56:31 PM EDT
yeah the only thing wrong with it is that there's nothing to keep people from slapping those tapco furniture on them...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:59:32 PM EDT
Not a thing wrong with a WASR.. Some people knock them. These are probably the same people who knocked the MAK 90s back in 94. These are the same people who praise them today, and pay a premium price for them
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:07:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 12:11:51 AM EDT by ElCamino]

Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:

I agree but thats not what I meant, im tired of people judging each others rifles because of their "bling".

It's not a contest.

As far as WASRs go, I think they're overpriced at the moment. When you consider the other options that are available for just a little bit more, you get a much better finished weapon than a WASR. If WASRs were widely available for around $300 instead of $400 I'd be more in favor of them, but at the price a lot of people are asking for a WASR10 hicap conversion I'd rather pick up a Vector, Arsenal, or even a used SAR.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:15:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 8:17:36 AM EDT by tapeo1]
Is there anything wrong with the WASR-10?

IHMO they're way over priced. Why spend $300 to $400 for a poorly finished and built WASR when you could build a nice Romanian kit (from actual military parts) for under that?

My Romanian build cost slightly less than $300 for all the parts used including shipping.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:43:47 AM EDT
The main difference between the WASR and other AKM type AKs,is the lack or reciever dimples on the WASR.The dimples serve as reinforcement and ,somewhat of,a guide for the magazine.Its not a big deal,some of the AKMs built for Military export in Romania and China,have slick side recievers.

While some view Romanian AKs as rough,I view them,and the Maadi,as diamonds in the rough.With just a little work,you can re-finish or change the stock set,smooth up the rails,straighten anything thats canted or just use the shit out of it,..................AKs look better with a little age and run alot smoother after a couple thousand rounds.
BTW,Welcome To The Dark Side!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:33:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:01:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Darkest2000:
yeah the only thing wrong with it is that there's nothing to keep people from slapping those tapco furniture on them...

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:21:37 PM EDT

Just like me, you're getting into the whole build scene a little late buddy. At the end of the month a ban on "AK kits" including barrels will go into effect. So...if you got some building in mind, you should go out and get them kits now while you still can.

I took your advice and bought a kit here, dpharms.com/grade-c-kits-p-128.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 4:17:04 PM EDT by drobs]

Originally Posted By JOHNO:
The main difference between the WASR and other AKM type AKs,is the lack or reciever dimples on the WASR.The dimples serve as reinforcement and ,somewhat of,a guide for the magazine.Its not a big deal,some of the AKMs built for Military export in Romania and China,have slick side recievers.

While some view Romanian AKs as rough,I view them,and the Maadi,as diamonds in the rough.With just a little work,you can re-finish or change the stock set,smooth up the rails,straighten anything thats canted or just use the shit out of it,..................AKs look better with a little age and run alot smoother after a couple thousand rounds.
BTW,Welcome To The Dark Side!

Johno's got it.

I like my WASR10

This site is getting out of date now but it's the reason I bought my original SAR-1 and would have to say it applies to the WASR10
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

You tapco haters should try out a tapco SAW AK grip on your AK. Most comfortable ak grip I've found.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:17:51 PM EDT
it works, its fairly affordable, offers hi-cap capability...overall, its good

finish sucks; furniture sucks; mag well sucks

but it goes "bang" all the time
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:19:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
Is there anything wrong with the WASR-10?

IHMO they're way over priced. Why spend $300 to $400 for a poorly finished and built WASR when you could build a nice Romanian kit (from actual military parts) for under that?

My Romanian build cost slightly less than $300 for all the parts used including shipping.

tinypic.com/dentkk.jpg

That looks great!!
Top Top