Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2010 5:45:36 PM EDT
I see that the price of the AR's are dropping but I never hear anything about WASR's. Where is the best place to get a good deal on a WASR. I have a MAK 90 and it wants a friend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Having had a couple of Mak 90's and WASR's, you'll be disappointed in the WASR. The fit and finish are nowhere near as good and if you get a canted front sight it will drive you buggy every time you look at it. It'll shoot fine and be functional though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Get it.  Nowhere near as nice as the MAK but it will give you a beater model.

CS
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I'm the exception here but I have owned some pretty nice AK's, and still do actually, and a couple months ago I picked up a WASR 10/63 that I'm really happy with.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that 10 years ago the first firearm I ever bought was a WASR.  So maybe it's a sentimental things.  However, there's just something about a rifle that you can abuse and love at the same time.  Something you don't have to baby and worry if it gets scratched or whatever.  That's attractive to me.  

I say if you want a WASR, get one!  If you don't like it, you can surely get at least what you paid for it.  As long as you get it for about $400.  

Check the EE.  Just saw one listed for $280.  Other than that, check out these places.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/
http://www.aimsurplus.com/default.aspx
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/
http://www.jgsales.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
my line of thinking was why pay double the cost for a gun i plan on abusing anyways?  it's not like an Arsenal is going to give the user some amazing improvement in accuracy over a WASR; it just looks a lot prettier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasr's can be poorly fitted and poor finish, and actual mechanical flaws, both of which can be alleviated by an in person inspection.  I would NEVER buy a Wasr sight unseen.    When I bought mine, I went to 4 differant dealers (gunshow).  One would function...except the bolt would get halfway back and jam, requiring a smack to get shut....Two had canted sights.    The 4th was good.  The one I got.

It's been reliable after a short breakin, plenty accurate for an AK.       Arsenals will be slightly more reliable/durable long-term.

That said, I'm glad I only paid $430 VS the $750+.   Mine works. that's what matters.  Cosmetically, I don't care. And at least $200 of Arsenal's price is cosmetic.      They're good, but even they have troubles occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
"except the bolt would get halfway back and jam, requiring a smack to get shut"

Pretty much every AK I've used does this.  It's because the bolt rides over the Fire Control Group.  Only after several hundred/thousand rounds or polishing the parts that rub against each other does it get smoother.  

"Arsenals will be slightly more reliable/durable long-term."

Why?  What do you mean?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a WASR, a SAR and a Arsenal SLG20. The Arsenal is great, the SAR is great, the WASR is great. None of the above mentioned guns has ever had a failure to feed with the excepton of one round of wolf that had a primer seated incorrectly.All the above mentioned guns feed any crap you put in their magazines. Brown Bear, Black Bear ,Wolf - it doesn't matter. The G2 trigger on the WASR is in my opinion, slightly better then the Arsenal.  My Wasr shoots Left about 4 inches at 50 yards, I have no problem walking them into the black and I'm a lousy shot.  Let me repeat myself; the WASR is great in my opinion, goes bang every time you pull the trigger, just like a gun should,
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top