Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:30:07 AM EDT
ANyone know is it posible to take a screw built and turn it in to a rivit built?

The screws used were 10-32. would special rivits be needed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It is absolutely possible.  I have converted 3 or 4 screw built rifles into riveted rifles and I am sure some of the other guys who have done the same will chime in soon.  Rivets will work in 10-32 tapped holes with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thankyou
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
sometimes you can
sometimes you cant
it makes thangs alot harder
and if it was drilled and taped there isnt enough meat inside the trunnion
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sometimes you can
sometimes you cant

couldent you file down the threads and use thicker rivets? shouldent be any worse than working with egged out holes,.....or am i not seeing a piece of the puzzle here?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sometimes you can
sometimes you cant

couldent you file down the threads and use thicker rivets? shouldent be any worse than working with egged out holes,.....or am i not seeing a piece of the puzzle here?

The ticket would be the thicker rivets. You would need larger dia rivets so when they are bucked they would swell properly. If not, the receiver might appear tight, but after time the receiver would work loose.

When making repairs in aviation, moving up one rivet size is very common. Coming up with larger dia steel rivets suitable for your AK could be a challange.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
if you did not gouge out the holes its easy to do,, but some guys really screwed their holes up and had to use larger screws.. the problem will be in the front trunion as the small pockets where the rivet gets smashed.. there may not be enough room for the rivet to flair properly if larger rivets are used cause the holes are larger...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
How much time and how many rounds is it going to take for my rivets to loosen up?  I just used all long rivets and I am sure that when I crushed them they completely filled the hole in the trunnion.  I have fired literally thousands of rounds through each of mine with ZERO loosening.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top