Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:20:51 PM EDT
Assembly time is short, that is the easy part.  Trying to get ahold of the proper parts, mainly receivers to build on seems to take forever.  I was ready to start assembly back in early Feb, and I am still waiting on receivers.  And they are comming from three different places, different recievers, and all of them on backorder, Armory receivers being the longest on backorder, I am getting really impatiant now that it is warming up, I want to go shooting dangit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just cruise on over to DCI.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
i just got 3 receivers from OHIO RAPID FIRE. they have OOW in stock and ready to go. got em fast enough considering i f'ed up and gave my FFL teh wrong fax number. but they called me and i got it sorted out and it was here 3 days later.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Armory receivers being the longest on backorder

You've obviously never ordered from Joken!!!

Took them almost three months.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
or better yet, purchase a jig and bend your own receivers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
or better yet, buy the steel yourself, and weld your AK together, after cutting the steel to the correct dimensions between the stock and barrel section.

after asking a few questions about it , took me about 7 hours total.

really the AK is so simple :)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
some of us are lucky and have ffl's with rec's all the time
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Just make sure to order 3 receivers at a time from DCI.

FREE
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
OOW recievers from OOW 4-5 days!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it's the glut of dirt-cheap Romanian kits that's affecting the receiver supply.  

Everybody's building now.  This time next year, I hope we're up to our eyeballs in receivers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Global reciever took 2.5 months
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]
$11.99 for a flat and $150 for the jig. You can always sell the jig, I just don't like paying my FFL $25.00 for doing the paperwork on a receiver I can make my self for $12.00. I just received ten flats from Copes, excellent service and fast shipping, now I am going to order ten more.

The 80% Tapco flats are excellent a easy to work with and work fine.  The 80% folded flats are another story they are a lot more work than I ever wanted to do and still I messed up a thirtyfive dollar receiver. I guess a lot of welding and patching it will work but it Is ugly.

I still have a folded flat receiver to do for my Yugo underfold but I bought a milling machine at Harbor Freight, so it should be easier, no more dremmel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#13]
My 1st took forever since I also built my own jig (too cheap to pay $150 for something that I can machine out of the scrap bin for free).  Bending my first recevier took awhile too since I'd never done it and wanted everything to be perfect.  Once you get the 1st one built the next will go together in nothing flat (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
as tom petty said,
the waiting is the hardest part.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I did get one receiver about two weeks ago.  I had two days of fun assembling that one.  Now it really does not matter.  Everything is under water up here now.  Its snow melt and flooding season time.  I won't even be able to get to the range now for at least a month, with the road going out to the range under 15 feet of water because the river is going into flood stage.  Oh well.  Thats life in the red river valley for ya.  I guess I have enough work to catch up with too.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Since you have time to kill, why not get some scrap steel and play with making your own jigs.
It can be done with some thought. Not pictured in this thread are my bolt cutter riveters and the form for bending a flat made from 2"x3" box tubing, using bolts and jam nuts to get my dim's.
$ invested in scrap steel, less than $20
Sense of acomplishment, priceless.
Tools

Good luck,
Del
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
some of us are lucky and have ffl's with rec's all the time

you lucky bastard.  I went to a class 3 dealer by me who claims to manufacture full auto kinks and such trying to get him to get/make some recievers so i would not have to pay FFL on them.  He pretty much refused.  Granted he also could not silver solder a FS on and tried to pin it on and failed.    To say the least i am driving a bit farther for my needs...........
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Any link to DCI? I can't find them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top