Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:50:46 PM EDT
Hello, everyone.  I was just wondering about this.  With the new barrel ban crap we now have incoming and what can be expected in the future political climate are we reaching a point where we should be storing and collecting these AKs instead of using them.  For instance, when I have worn the barrel out of my Polytech in a year or two, will i be able to get a replacement barrel for it.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
you wont wear out your barrel. and even if you do it will still shoot. barrels will continue to come into the country. just have to meet sporting purpose clause. meaning all we have to do is thread them ourselves. just like the WASR's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dude, if you can wear a barrel out in a year or two you need to send me all that excess ammo!

Yeah, I wish I could!  I meant that as more of a theoretical, really.  I mean, eventually parts need replaced, wear out, break, lose acceptable performance, etc even on an AK!  With my ARs, ai can still easily get any parts I need, and can easily replace anything on an AR that could need to be.  Not really so with my AKs.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Wearing out a barrel intended for full-auto fire on a semi-auto rifle is a mighty task indeed.

But the advice to pick one up from Keng's is sound - they are not that expensive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Your rifle will be around 2-3 time longer then you will.

Look at the guns that are still shot that are over 100 yeas old.  And those were made from really crappy soft metal.

The life of a firearm is much longer then your own or your childrens if properly maintained.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your rifle will be around 2-3 time longer then you will.

Look at the guns that are still shot that are over 100 yeas old.  And those were made from really crappy soft metal.The life of a firearm is much longer then your own or your childrens if properly maintained.

And they shot really Corrosive Ammo!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember, by buying a spare now, all you are really saving is a couple hundred bucks at most. There are plenty of domestic barrel manufacturers who would happily manufacture AK barrels. The reason they do not isn't because the Russians are mysterious masters of metallurgy, but rather because imported barrels are so damned cheap. If/when you wear out your AK barrel, there will be any number of "made in US" replacements available for around $200.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There will be domestically produced barrels.

One prominent company is already looking into cold hammer forging and chrome lining the barrels here in the US.  

Hmmm, will they be making AK only barrels.... or maybe some Sig 55X, AUG & HK barrels    

This would really help us out... not just with AKs.  Then again US made anything for guns will have its growing pains.

Are we importing some Europeans to make the barrels too  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One prominent company is already looking into cold hammer forging and chrome lining the barrels here in the US.  

I had wondered when this market would pick up.  If you watch the AR market you will see fads and trends turn into new products made by those who pay attention to the community.  Case-in-point, midlength chrome lined "mil-spac" barrels.  CMMG and giffman started that with Sabre Defence and talon_arms following with a well made production example.  Eventually I predict well see high quality barrels (or at least decent quality chrome lined) made by US producers.  At least I hope so...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had wondered when this market would pick up.  If you watch the AR market you will see fads and trends turn into new products made by those who pay attention to the community.  Case-in-point, midlength chrome lined "mil-spac" barrels.  CMMG and giffman started that with Sabre Defence and talon_arms following with a well made production example.  Eventually I predict well see high quality barrels (or at least decent quality chrome lined) made by US producers.  At least I hope so...

We live in a free capitalistic market (for the most part).  It WILL happen sooner or later.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top