Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:53:32 AM EDT
I'm building a Polish underfolder and I've ordered receiver reinforcing plate that goes on the bottom where the pistol grip is attached.  Is it a problem to spot weld this plate to the receiver being that the receiver (GT 1.0mm) is already heat treated?

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a metal expert but I am trying to learn...   So I will give you my oppinion...

I would say that teh spot welder does not get above the temp that we woul dnormally heat the steel to temper it anyways.  Also, you only heat treat the holes for the FCG and ejector anyways so you will not be getting that much heat into those locations...

So, no, spot welding this plate to your receiver should not have any negative effect on the critical heat treated spots of the receiver...  Now, I am curious where you ordered yours from but I assume it was from one of the sites in my thread...  I need a few but i need one urgently or I am going to make it myself...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now, I am curious where you ordered yours from but I assume it was from one of the sites in my thread...  I need a few but i need one urgently or I am going to make it myself...

Mine is coming from Ted Marshall.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now, I am curious where you ordered yours from but I assume it was from one of the sites in my thread...  I need a few but i need one urgently or I am going to make it myself...

Mine is coming from Ted Marshall.

Sudboy

Can ANYBODY PM me his E-mail or some contact info?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
IM sent.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi,I`m a custom knifemaker and I heat treat my own blades.
You will not damage the treat of the reciever by spot welding.
In order to reduce or destroy the hardness of a particular area of steel you will need to get the area to over 1000 degrees or so,for a certain period of time.AK recievers if I`m correct only have a rockwell hardness in the range of 40 or so,and the critical areas that need this hardness are the trigger group pin holes-for wear resistance.The rest of the reciever is tempered to this point to give it toughness,or the ability to flex and return to it`s original shape.40 rockwell is just a wee bit harder than spring temper(it`s very tough)spot welding induces the required heat in a very localised spot in order to stick two pieces of thin metal together,it`s very quick and the heat doesnt have time to travel very far.
Spot welding the reinforcing plate will in no way reduce the integrity of your reciever.
do it to it!
Bossman
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top