Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2005 6:12:11 PM EDT
**UPDATE is halfway down**

I finally received my Walnut Ironwood Designs AK47 stocks.  If you remember, I am changing the stocks on my Arsenal SLR95.

These are the Ironwood stocks:

They are not yet sanded, you are seeing them raw, but they have a nice grain and are well milled.  The sling is side mounted, and the indent for the swivel is precut(not shown, other side of stock).  Overall, I am satisfied with the woodwork.  Only thing I don’t like is the method for attaching the butt stock to the receiver.  Because it is a milled receiver with a thumbhole stock, there is only an upper tang to accommodate the design of the thumbhole stock.  Therefore, you have to run a bolt in from the butt plate, which goes through the stock and into a machined bolt that fits the rear trunion.  You can see it at the front of the butt stock (the aluminum piece).  The design seems very sturdy, but you lose the trap door.  Ironwood does sell butt stocks for these receivers with a lower tang pre-cut, but you have to add the lower tang.  On my receiver that requires cutting a groove in the lower receiver for the tang to rest before being pop-riveted in place.  Too much for me, and I want to be able to bring the gun back to stock if it becomes desirable in the future.

I pre-fitted them to the gun and drilled the holes for the screws.  I am waiting on a butt plate, I will fit it, and then it will be time to start sanding and oiling.

The SLR, to be legal without the Thumbhole stock, requires the changing of the FCG to US made parts, which I have already done.

I also am considering replacing the pinned muzzle brake and putting on a  threaded slant brake, but I would have to cut off the factory one.  I am not yet prepared to make that decision.

More as the project develops.

**UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE**

Finally finished(no pun intended)!

I used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil for the finish.  Above is the photo of the stocks pre-finish.  

First, I fitted all the stocks and hardware to the rifle.  There were a few mods that had to be made via the handy Dremel, but they were a very close fit straight from Ironwood.  After touching up the fit the next step was surface and hardware prep.

I bought new screws, a can of Rustoleum metal primer spray paint, and a can of Rustoleum gloss black metal paint.  The butt-plate, which was purchased surplus, was sanded down to remove the old black paint.  I used 0000 steel wool to smooth out the metal before painting.  The screws and butt-plate were then primered and painted with the gloss black.  They were set aside to cure and harden.

I then began the preparations of the stocks.  I started off with 150 grit garnet sandpaper and gave them a good sanding.  Note that I kept the edges sharp and did not sand the walnut TOTALLY smooth.  I wanted it to have an AK rough style finish rather than looking like a Seiko deer rifle.  Next, I used 180 grit and further smoothed the grain.  After this I wet the stocks down to raise the grain.  After allowing the stocks to dry, I then sanded them again with the 180 grit.  Wet them again and allowed to dry.  Next, I used 220 grit garnet to smooth the remaining burrs.  Next, I buffed HARD with 0000 steel wool.  Using a tack cloth, I removed all debris.

Time for the Tru-Oil.  Using only my finger, I rubbed the Tru-Oil into the grain  liberally (especially the ends).  After rubbing in a circular motion, I then smoothed the oil with the grain.  After allowing the stocks to dry over night, I buffed them HARD with the 0000 steel wool, again with the grain.  After each buff, they were wiped with the tack cloth to remove any debris.

I repeated this procedure four more times.  After the final coat dried, I VERY LIGHTLY buffed the stocks with the 0000 steel wool.  This takes some of the gloss off, and gives it a little bit more of a matte finish characteristic of the AK's.  Here are the stocks before final steel wool buff:

After the final buff, I waxed the stocks with carnauba wax.  Then I installed the hardware and attached the stocks to the rifle.  Below are the finished and installed stocks.

Overall it was a pain in the a$$.  It was fun, though, and am quite pleased with the results.  Total cost was about $140.00.

To me it is a damn sight better than the old thumbhole synthetic stocks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2005 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ironwood is quality stuff.

I'd not worry about loosing the trap door, it only rattles anyway with a cleaning kit in it.

Looks like that SLR-95 is gonna be mighty purdy with it's new clothes on!

Stuff some cleaning patches in it.................is what I did to stop the rattles with the cleaning kit in my M1

Just my $.02

John
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]

All done, read update in first post.

Link Posted: 2/3/2005 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks sweet!  I purchased the same stock set form Ironwood, but I went with the darker military look.  I must say that your SLR-95 turned out great.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks sweet!  I purchased the same stock set form Ironwood, but I went with the darker military look.  I must say that your SLR-95 turned out great.

Thanks!

Do you have any pics to post?

Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Mateomasfeo,

I would be happy to post a pic of my refinished SLR-95.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
SEXY
now you just need to do alittle work on the front end
whoever designd that comp on the slr should be shot  
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Mateomasfeo,

I would be happy to post a pic of my refinished SLR-95.  

www.hunt101.com/img/047624.JPG

VER - REE - NICE!

I need one of every color...

Link Posted: 2/12/2005 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Matt from Ironwood Designs here.

Great finish job, really looks nice. It looks like you took the time to do it right. I try to tell my customers to take their time when finishing one of our sets. We use quality black Walnut, and if finished properly, as described on my web site How To page, it will look fantastic.

Once again, great job.

Also, a heads up regarding our web site. We have posted a large batch of blemished stock parts, AK & FAL.
Take a quick look at our Woodpile page if you are looking to do a budget build, or need a truck gun stock set.

www.Ironwooddesigns.com

Thanks for yor business,
Matt
IWD
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn beautiful!   Good job.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Try shooting the rifle after night fall, the comp makes a pretty good flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an ultimak, is this enough US parts to make the SLR-95 legal for this wood stock kit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks great
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]

My slr-101 with AIM's us made walnut furniture, finished by me.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
This is an Ironwoods walnut stock set with some red and yellow Rit clothing dye as stain....then the oil finish.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2005 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#17]
They all look very nice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a beautful russian red set to install.
I need the butt plate,sling swivel,and if possible and right the metal for the top of the pg.
Thank You for your help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
That's REAL REAL nice !!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Ordered an Ironwood stock set from the woodpile on 7/28.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Today, 8/16, I can not get a response from Matt.  

How long did it take you other guys to get your Ironwood stocks?  

I ordered US made FC parts and gas piston from two other sources the day after I ordered the stock.  Those parts have been here for a while, but no stock yet.

I'm not crying.  I've done plenty of online business, and realize some people are more prompt than others. Heck, I waited 3 months on a preban Colt last year.  It just bothers me when I can't get a response to multiple emails.  Sure responded promptly prior to receiving the funds....

Hopefully, he is simply taking a well deserved vacation.

EDIT 8/18:  Matt responded via email a few minutes ago.  Was apologetic in saying that he had experienced machine issues this week, and would be shipping today.  All's well that ends well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]

I never received a return email from Matt.  Call him.  That's what I did, and I got my stocks pretty quick.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I called Matt on the phone also.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top