Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 3:22:07 AM EDT by Atreides]
There's got to be a name for AK addiction.

It's weird how things work out sometimes. The AK has been a nemesis of the AR ever since it's creation. Each rifle has its good points and bad and as time wears on history has noted several attempts to perfect each design by borrowing the strong points of one to improve the other. Both weapons come from very different lines of thinking, the AK being a Machinegun with single fire capability, while the AR a battle rifle with the option of multiple shot firing.

Alot of people thought it was only a matter of ammunition at first: with the US introducing the medium range cartridge into the world of military rifles. While the AK47 continued to use the somewhat standard 30 caliber bullet in it's design, the AR sacrificed bullet diameter for weight savings and better accuracy. As good as all of this looked on paper, the 5.56MM X 45MM round ultimately lacked the "punch" of it's competition, the 7.62MM X 39MM.

Like the old saying: 'the Grass is always greener on the other side' both designs have seen the incooperation of the competitions ammunition. Colt came out with their 7.62MM AR and there are several offerings of the AK design in 5.56MM NATO. Neither attempt yeilded "the ideal weapon" though the Soviets did take note of the American idea of mid range/low impulse ammunition and soon adopted the 5.45MM X 39MM round for the newly (at the time) revamped AK74. However, the guns very designer Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov was against the ammunition change stating that he designed the AK47 to specifically use the 7.62MM cartridge.

Later, some 30+ years later the AR15 design once again fell upon critisizing eyes especially the round it was originally designed to use: the 5.56MM NATO round. Again larger rounds were being tested in the AR15's design edging it closer and closer to the .30 caliber mark. Realistically the AR will probably never see a .30 caliber chambering offered in mass numbers like the original AR's 5.56MM design was, but a slight increase in bullet diameter along with a modernization of bullet design would do the design good: as was seen in the limited testing of the 6.5 Grendel and later 6.8 SPC. But as far as I know, such testing of larger AR's has all but stopped entirely.

So what does all of this have to do with the Black Rifle disease? Well, seeing as these two weapons share such a history with each other it only seems fitting that a name be given for AK addiction as well. Kalashnikovanitous? No...too long. The "Red Plauge". LOL! Nah, might be mixed up with politics. Автомат КалашниковаKraze? Too kooky.

I guess I just have to be satisfied with: "Dang, I think I'm addicted to AK's."
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:41:43 AM EDT
Ah...Bloc rifle disease.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:21:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:
Ah...Bloc rifle disease.

LOL ...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:23:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:42:26 AM EDT
You're having an AKattack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:43:42 AM EDT
Kalishnaitis???
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:01:54 AM EDT
I just call it being broke...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:34:32 AM EDT
It's essentially a money disorder...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:37:42 AM EDT
The AK Mortgage?

I just ordered two more kits (Romy 47 & Bulgy 74) and three parked receivers from GT.

I am trying to even the count; same number of ARs as AKs.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:07:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By garr:
Kalishnaitis???

"itis" implies temporary inflammation.

More appropriate would be a Kalashnikoma, or Kalashnosarcoma, either of which are uncurable, chronic diseases.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:30:29 AM EDT

BRD = Black Rifle Disease

KBD = Kalashnikov Buying Disease

CKBD = Chronic KBD (seems to be a rash of this going around)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JS1050:
The AK Mortgage?
I just ordered two more kits (Romy 47 & Bulgy 74) and three parked receivers from GT.
I am trying to even the count; same number of ARs as AKs.

I thought the same way, or that was the idea, until I got to repacking my kits the other night, in
order to put them in storage as I prepare to move.

DAHYUUUMMM!!! My AKs have way outnumbered my ARs now - I hope Mrs. Tanker doesn't pay
too close attention to the # of boxes that I'm carrying out to the van tomorrow.

Otherwise, you might be reading about an 'accident' in Loudoun shortly.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:50:49 AM EDT
I guess I have been hanging out here for too long. I didn't think it was a diseaase or a problem, I thought it was normal!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:50 AM EDT
communism?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:58:07 AM EDT
It's like asking a woman, "How many shoes can you own?"!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
Just hope the AR guys don't see your criticisms of the AR and 5.56mm.
They get very defensive about it.

I read that Mr. Kalashnikov didn't like the 5.45mm too but he really likes the 5.45mm Krinkov.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:55:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Robotizing:
It's like asking a woman, "How many shoes can you own?"!

That line has literally stopped every discussion we've ever had about "too many guns".

It is powerful mojo. Use it wisely.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:21:51 PM EDT
K.I.D.S.
Kalishnikov
Inflicted
Debt
Syndr­ome
Thats what I call it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 5:04:13 PM EDT by JOHNO]
We're all victims of "The Kalashnikov Culture"!I hear its a World wide epidemic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:54:12 PM EDT
SAAS = Severe AK Acquisition Syndrom
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
I thought the same way, or that was the idea, until I got to repacking my kits the other night, in
order to put them in storage as I prepare to move.

DAHYUUUMMM!!! My AKs have way outnumbered my ARs now - I hope Mrs. Tanker doesn't pay
too close attention to the # of boxes that I'm carrying out to the van tomorrow.

Otherwise, you might be reading about an 'accident' in Loudoun shortly.....

Good luck with the move. I've been building my own ARs for years and just got into the AKs as a shooting buddy is tooled up for the builds. Last time we moved, I did two things: moved gun and computer stuff last and hired a couple of day workers from a local garage to help with the heavy lifting while the missus stayed at the new house and unpacked.

A little domestic tranquility goes a long way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:03:29 AM EDT
That was some great readin'! Thanks fellas. LOL!

I liked all of 'em actually....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:58:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
K.I.D.S.
Kalishnikov
Inflicted
Debt
Syndr­ome
Thats what I call it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:33:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:
Ah...Bloc rifle disease.

That's good!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:53:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:20:37 PM EDT
I suppose that "I finally have a rifle that really works all the time disease" is really too long.

I'll try again after I finish off the Sam Adams.
Top Top