Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 4:06:17 AM EDT
Well the last time I posted I asked what a dark bore was and got my answer as clear as crystal from the gang here. (Thanks) but I have another question:

If a dark Bore is a BAD thing, (and it is) why would anyone WANT to buy a AK kit with a dark bored barrel in it? I see alot of Yugoslavian AK kit's with "Dark Bores" on them going for alot more than the Romainan kits do. Now I don't know for sure, but it could be because the Yugo's are possibly better built than the Romy's, or perhaps made with a better type of steel or something? Like I said, I don't have a clue.

The Polish kits I can understand, seems like they come with chrome lined bores, but the Yugo's?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yugos do not have a chrome bore while the rest have a chrome bore. No chrome and corrosive ammo and poor cleaning leads to pitted and dark bores. They may have been used a great deal more than the Romanians and that also will reflect in the bore condition.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:25:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you split a dark-bore barrel lengthwise, what would you see?  Visible corrosion?  Is there a chemical reaction that causes the metal to become darker?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, but why the high cost?

Dark Bores are (for lack of a better description) a blemished part right? So why would a kit with an old corroded pitted barrel from Yugoslavia cost more than one with a shiny bore from Romania?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it has to do with the exceptional quality of the rest of the rifle. The blueing, the heavy duty barrel and receiver. It's really a handsome rifle compared to the Romy. The ONLY drawback I have seen is the rifling. Mine, although 'dark' bore (I guess) shoots great. It's accurate, feels great and I can not wait to see if those new kits hit, I will be getting another for sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it has to do with the exceptional quality of the rest of the rifle. The blueing, the heavy duty barrel and receiver. It's really a handsome rifle compared to the Romy. The ONLY drawback I have seen is the rifling. Mine, although 'dark' bore (I guess) shoots great. It's accurate, feels great and I can not wait to see if those new kits hit, I will be getting another for sure.

they're gonna have unissued kits?  btw Kevin, where did you aquire your Yugo from?  I've seen a lot of builds for sale that look great on the outside and wondering if they were made with good condition kits, or just refinished on the outside.

But kevin is right.  The yugo is better built and rarer version of the AK than a Romanian, so I guess you're also paying for the rarity of the kit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I got it from the original Centerfire 'pre-sale' stuff, I bought 3 and sent back 2 and traded that credit towards an RPK.
At first as nasty as it was I thought I really got a screwin, but after cleaning I was pleasantly suprised. It has some wear towards the muzzle of which I attribute to being cleaned by a monkey. It's dark to look at, kind of a grey color, but it has lands and grooves, no pitting. Worn down on the muzzle end.
But basically it's freakin kick ass, I really like it. I would say I like it much better than my Polish underfolders, which are both hand select global trades units from about two years ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
how much would you estimate the unissued Yugo kits will be when or if they get here?  just curious.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I think a lot of it has to do with historical value.  These rifles were USED in the 90's war by Serbs, Bosnians, Croats etc...  It is a real piece of history.  Kinda like those old K98 Mausers.   The Romanian rifles, for the most part were only used by communist troups on the range (hence their usually in much better condition).  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how much would you estimate the unissued Yugo kits will be when or if they get here?  just curious.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
damn, don't hint at the prices being that high, someone might be watching, they need to be no more than $300
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Tim.....I've been looking at alot of yugos and I must say that is absolutely a beaut......most builders are parking them or duracoating matte black and they look like ASS!!!!

That's a nice blueing that I wish builders were copying
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly close to $400 cause you know every vendor and builder is going to jump on that like stink on shit

That's a pretty good guess I think.

Here's what a Yugo that hasn't been beat to shit by Bosnian Serb militia looks like.........

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Yugo%20and%20Classic/MVC-022S.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MVC-021S.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/MVC-028S.jpg

where and when did you get yours, and you know their muslim rivals carried the same rifle right
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
......most builders are parking them or duracoating matte black and they look like ASS!!!!

I agree they should be blued, it is sooo sweet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

where and when did you get yours, and you know their muslim rivals carried the same rifle right

Yeah but the current kits coming in overwhelmingly have Serbian graffiti and carvings on them.  They came out of Bosnia/Herzogina and were from stocks captured/turned in from the Bosnian Serb militias when they disbanded.

I picked mine up about 5 years ago.  Hell, I remember selling them the first time around.....

guess that makes sense, I'm just messin with you cause we're all jealous that we don't have one in that condition.

it also looks like the wood hasn't been coated, any reason?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Lets get back to the dark bore discussion for a minute,the only "problem"I've ever encountered with a dark bore,its almost impossible to run a clean patch through one and still have a clean patch.That being said,I've seen Type III Hungarian bbls in very dark condition but with extremely sharp rifling and deep grooves and great accuracy.Its also important to note that non chrome lined Hungarian bbls were made with chromium in the steel itself.In my opinion,a dark bore in and of itself,is not a bad thing,deep and frequent pitting is another story entirely.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top