Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 12:10:49 PM EDT
I'm going to cut down a Romanian barrel down to about 9 inches and i want to install a combo gas block/front sight. Will this bulgarian one fit? McM
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There is but one man you need to know and his name is slamfires....

Go to ak-47.net and search for his old posts and you will learn more about how to shorten an AK then any other person has ever shared....  And no, this is NOT a joke....

ETA:  Sure, that should work but there is more to it then just adding a new gas block...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if the barrel diameters are the same I would think you would need to redrill the gas port in the barrel. Your original Romy is more than likely 45', that gas block/sight base is 90' I beleive.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
nice to see you back on the board josh

as for the gb you will need to turn down the barrel alittle
and redrill the gas port

but its fairly simple and easyly doable
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What size do you need to redrill the gas port? I was thinking of the same front sight/gas block for a future build.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
its like 9/64 iirc
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
ACE Ak products makes a front sight, gas block combo that I was looking at for my pistol build..you might want to check it out
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
That's the exact same one I used on my pistol build.
It works great, but as mentioned above, the barrel must be turned down.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you have a pic of your pistol? Did you use a Rommy kit as a base for the build? Thanks fellas, I'm gonna order one today.  McM
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a #31 or #32 bit for the gasports. You could really go alittle smaller as these are so overgassed to begin with.I know of a guy who goes as small as #42 and has had no problems.I got 2 of those gasblock combos right infront of me know waiting for the guy to send me his 2 barrels for assemblely. They will be 8" long.I really like those blocks but Im glad somebody else is paying for them .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Droog, I'm using that block because i saw your post over on Gunco, you do some amazing work and that combo block looks badass on those short barrels. Are you still offering this service for guys? How much to cut and crown and to install this combo block? McM
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a pic of your pistol? Did you use a Rommy kit as a base for the build? Thanks fellas, I'm gonna order one today.  McM

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet

Edit:  That was my evil post
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use a #31 or #32 bit for the gasports. You could really go alittle smaller as these are so overgassed to begin with.I know of a guy who goes as small as #42 and has had no problems.I got 2 of those gasblock combos right infront of me know waiting for the guy to send me his 2 barrels for assemblely. They will be 8" long.I really like those blocks but Im glad somebody else is paying for them .

Talked to Ken yesterday and they are ready to go. As for the cost, the way I figure it, I'm not likey to make another one in my lifetime so make it  right the first time and I wouldn't have complaints in the future wishing I would have done it different.

That said, I'm glad I bought the FSB/GB combo and ship them to you last week before my trunk blew it engine this week!!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top