Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 5:21:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 5:23:43 PM EST by Taipan]
Someone else in my house has taken a liking to it.

Close Up

Sorry they are so big.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:34:40 PM EST
Looks an awful lot like a rattler. Based on the triangular head and the rattle. And your name. SWEET rifle. Its like a real life Gadsden flag. See if you can wrap him around an AR standing on end.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:00:31 PM EST
Mr. Snake does not look happy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:09:12 PM EST
Well, I'm not sure what a happy rattlesnake looks like but he ate two mice yesterday so he must be pretty happy. Then again he may be happrier when he can perch on my RPK74 once it's built.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:11:08 PM EST
Crazy mo-fo! I hate snakes!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:48:08 PM EST
Awww, how could you hate a little cute creature like Buttons?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:51:22 PM EST
Hey, dude...

THERE'S A FUCKING RATTLESNAKE loose in your house.

Just FYI.

QS
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:53:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 6:56:03 PM EST by Taipan]

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
Hey, dude...

THERE'S A FUCKING RATTLESNAKE loose in your house.

Just FYI.

QS

LMAO You almost made coffee come out of my nose. BTW Buttons is safe back in his locking aquarium now. He gets pissy when he doesn't get to play with the Kalashnikovs now and then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:53:42 PM EST
Where the hell did you find a MARPAT snake?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:56:06 PM EST
you have a damn pet Rattlesnake, that is pretty dumb
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:03:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:

For the general public I'd have to yes it would be. Besides he's a lot more harmless than the snake I grew up keeping.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:08:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Taipan:

Originally Posted By repub18:

For the general public I'd have to yes it would be. Besides he's a lot more harmless than the snake I grew up keeping.

If the snake you grew up with keeping is your board name, Where in the hippie fuck were you parents? I love reptiles as much as the next guy, but goddamn....all that fucker has to do is get out once and somebody's taking a dirtnap. And every snake I've ever owned has gotten out of his/her enclosure at least once. I realize there are enclosures for hot snakes, but still...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:11:31 PM EST
Black-tailed Rattlesnake........yes?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:17:34 PM EST
I didn't keep taipans til I was about 21, and that was at a venom lab I worked at. I'm still puzzled though how it came to be that my mom let me in the house with hot snakes, but that wasn't til I had been already handling them on field trips and other peoples houses for about three years. I think she saw that she could trust me, and knew that I DID know how to handle them safely. Then again that was rattlesnakes, I got into a whole new world when I discovered what elapids were like! My education took a kickstart when I brought a forest cobra home, it was hell on wheels.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:18:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By mattld:
Black-tailed Rattlesnake........yes?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:19:16 PM EST

I didn't keep taipans til I was about 21, and that was at a venom lab I worked at. I'm still puzzled though how it came to be that my mom let me in the house with hot snakes, but that wasn't til I had been already handling them on field trips and other peoples houses for about three years. I think she saw that she could trust me, and knew that I DID know how to handle them safely. Then again that was rattlesnakes, I got into a whole new world when I discovered what elapids were like! My education took a kickstart when I brought a forest cobra home, it was hell on wheels.

Ever been hit?

I took a dry bite from a copperhead about 14 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:21:24 PM EST

what kind of grip is that ??
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:38:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnatra:
what kind of grip is that ??

Looks like some type of ERGO grip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:39:09 PM EST
Oh, I thought that was a Kobra mounted on your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:46:48 PM EST
The PG is a TDI arms. Nice grip for my hand but a little funky, doesn't have a bottom. I need to see if there is a bottom plug for it.

I have been bit twice when I was 16, both dry bites. Lesson learned, twice .

I was waiting for the Kobra reference. I wish I could keep one here in AZ, a Cobra that is. Sure would look nice on that SAR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:49:19 PM EST

The PG is a TDI arms. Nice grip for my hand but a little funky, doesn't have a bottom. I need to see if there is a bottom plug for it.

Thanks, NICE rifle !
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:49:33 PM EST
dude, can you give me the specs on that furniture?

I really like that!

Thanks!

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:49:52 PM EST
QS, that was hysterical.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:50:28 PM EST

I was waiting for the Kobra reference. I wish I could keep one here in AZ, a Cobra that is. Sure would look nice on that SAR.

Yeah, well that would be a real bitch to try and sight in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:56:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By moneyshot:

Yeah, well that would be a real bitch to try and sight in.

Yeah especially if it was a spitter
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:58:54 PM EST
... Before saw your avatar, I said to myself "this guy's gotta be from Arizona"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:03 PM EST
I've got an Arizona Mountain King snake and the books claim that it could kick your snake’s ass; is it true? Also what do you do with a rattle snake? Can you hold it or does it just stay in its tank most the time? And what got you started with hot snakes?

Jerad
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:07:06 PM EST
Seriously though, was there ever a time when you were a kid that you were scared to death of snakes? I was deathly afraid of any snake. I remember having nightmares and one time while I was walking on a trail I saw one about 30 feet away but ran like a sissy all the way home. But..somewhere around my younger teenage years I just got over the fear and became fascinated with them. I would catch them whenever I found them around and hold them and look at them. Today I feel like I have a healthy respect for snakes though. I dont go looking to piss them off and I wont just grab one without some measured assurance in mind. I actually get excited if I think I've found a snake. I look forward to showing my 5 year old one and I hope he wont be afraid of them like I was at his age. I've only caught one rattlesnake and he was mean as piss. Most snakes Im lucky to encounter are rat snakes, garters, bull snakes, etc. I keep reminding myself to take leave every Spring and hit the big Rattlesnake Roundup here in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jerad:
I've got an Arizona Mountain King snake and the books claim that it could kick your snake’s ass; is it true? Also what do you do with a rattle snake? Can you hold it or does it just stay in its tank most the time? And what got you started with hot snakes?

Jerad

I've had Arizona Mountain Kings too, but I really haven't known them to be snake eaters like some of the other kings. Matter of fact we kept them in with AZ Black rattlesnakes at the Houston Zoo.
I don't ever "hold" him, no need too. I'm not in venom research anymore. He just gets handled with a hook when I need to service his cage.
I started studying zoology when I was about three, no kidding. My older brother got bit by a praire rattlesnake when he was about three and the story always facinated me. I started keeping snakes when I was maybe 8? Docent at local zoo at 13. Hot snakes at home at 16. It all seemed rather natural to me. I remember reading a particular book by a herpetologist when I was 9 or so that kept a couple cobras and thought, yeah, that'll be me someday....it was. That is until I moved to AZ .
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:54:15 PM EST
Is that a Western Diamondback? I've never seen one of those in person. Seen plenty of the Eastern variety in the wild, though, often a little too close up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:31:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By GomerPyle:
Is that a Western Diamondback? I've never seen one of those in person. Seen plenty of the Eastern variety in the wild, though, often a little too close up.

Black-tailed rattlesnake.

We've got lots of little nasties here in Arizona.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:18:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jetlag:
Where the hell did you find a MARPAT snake?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:10:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:32:26 AM EST
OK snake boy... Here's some questions for you. #1 . Is a King snake immune to the poisons of a rattler, copperhead , ect....... #2 . If so why is it? #3. If so to them , is all snakes immmue to another snakes bite ?

Quick story... I pinned a Cotton Mouth with a forked stick one time frog giging . It was the Mother of all Mothers of Cotton Mouth. A big Preistoric one. It turned and bite it's self in the back a good 6" from the forked stick . Now why did it bite it's self? Was it going after the stick or what????? It did get away.. The stick fork broke off and it crawled into some quagmire. I wasn't going in after it... TIA WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:00:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 8:01:30 AM EST by Taipan]

Originally Posted By WarDawg:
OK snake boy... Here's some questions for you. #1 . Is a King snake immune to the poisons of a rattler, copperhead , ect....... #2 . If so why is it? #3. If so to them , is all snakes immmue to another snakes bite ?

Quick story... I pinned a Cotton Mouth with a forked stick one time frog giging . It was the Mother of all Mothers of Cotton Mouth. A big Preistoric one. It turned and bite it's self in the back a good 6" from the forked stick . Now why did it bite it's self? Was it going after the stick or what????? It did get away.. The stick fork broke off and it crawled into some quagmire. I wasn't going in after it... TIA WarDawg

#1 Yes common kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getulus) are known to be immune to rattlesnake venom, and I assume copperheads/cotton mouths as well. #2 Natural selection. Nothing esoteric, just at some point a kingsnake had the gene for immunity and passed it along. Those that ate rattlesnakes and had the gene lived, and you know what happened to the others. That said, kingsnakes do not exclusively dine on other snakes, they eat mostly rodents. #3 No most snakes do not have immunity to other snakes venom, and some snakes (king cobras and gaboon vipers) do not even have immunity to their own venom.
My guess on the cotton mouth was that he was so scared/pissed that he accidently bit himself in attempts at self defense.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:53:16 AM EST
Thanks for the reply ... I have a big Rat snake liveing under my house right now. Where I once had mice... I now have none...... WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:04:33 PM EST

Thanks for the reply ... I have a big Rat snake liveing under my house right now. Where I once had mice... I now have none...... WarDawg

yeah, but now you have snakes!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:27:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By jtw2:

Yeah but snakes don't spread disease.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:28:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By jtw2:

Yeah but snakes don't spread disease.

Yeah, but now you have snakes!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:44:52 PM EST
Order up some cans of alumahyde from Brownells and paint your AK to match your snake.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:28:45 PM EST
SHAME ON YOU!

Your magazines are empty
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:32:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Order up some cans of alumahyde from Brownells and paint your AK to match your snake.

I was thinking of that!! LOL After a few of the comments, what better desert camo?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:42:16 PM EST
Jeeeze! Damn!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:13:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:

I was thinking of that!! LOL After a few of the comments, what better desert camo?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the snake is going to react well to the baking part of the Alumahyde application.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:23:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
i don't like spiders and snakes...

+1
Top Top