Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:22:09 AM EDT
Is that a bad thing?

The first rifle I ever bought on my own was a Russian made SKS. I remember paying $165.00 for it complete with sling, cleaning kit, and attached bayonet. I did the usual stupid newbie mistake of attempting to modify the SKS into a type of po' boyz AK47 by changing the stock to a folder, taking off the fixed magazine etc.etc. Even with all my meddling the rifle remained one of the best guns I have ever owned to date.

Naturally the progression went on to getting an AK, again the cheapest one I could find at the time which ended up being a Norinco that I traded off a year after getting it. That was years back...I purchased several handguns withing the time from then till now along with a M1 Carbine, several 10/22's, a 9mm Hi-Point and a couple of others that don't come to mind readily. LOL! (I really need to take inventory of what I have.)

About 10 years past....namely the 10 years the AWB was in effect. As soon as the Sunset came about I got heavy into AR15's, the forbidden fruit I couldn't afford to get back in the day that I always put off getting thinking I would get one sooner or later eventually... I bought one complete and "built" 3 more before one day deciding to check out the AK47 section of AR15.COM...

Dammit all to hell. Now, before I go on, I want to say that I am not a strager to shooting AK's. My friends have always owned AK's for as long as I can remember and I have been handling them and shooting them just as long, I just never gotten around to getting any myself, well, cept that one I got rid of. But then I discovered the actual "building" aspect of the AK's and how I could actually put one together from the ground up: not just by slapping a few pieces of pre-made parts together. This appealed to me ALOT. Just my luck I 'discovered' this just before complete "kits" will be banned...but that's just the way it is.

I've been working on my Krinkov kit I got from ORF and loving every minute of it. Progression has been slow more because a lack of parts and not time. It is almost done, and I am already looking forward to building another AK as soon as I am. I just bought a Romanian kit tonight and will be putting it together with all of the "spare" parts I didn't use with the Krinkov. I want to end up with a good shooter with this one. I will be using the underfolder stock that came with the Krink and the "thick" metal flat I originally bought and didn't use. Putting these things together has turned out to be just as fun, if not more entertaining than shooting them for me. I have been putting alot of trigger time in on my friends AK47 recently and have found the AK to be a very enjoyable gun to shoot and very very reliable. Is it as accurate as my M4? In distances up to 100 yards I would have to say not actually, BUT not to the point where the AK seems inferior. It can hit man sized targets just as good as any of my AR15's can, and as consistantly to boot, PLUS I am doing this using open iron sites opposed to most of my AR's which all but one has optical devices attached. Am I becoming an AK convert? Maybe so, maybe not. But if I am, I no longer see it as a bad thing. The AK is what it is: a battle rifle. Maybe not as refined as an AR15 but every bit as capable of getting the same job done, and all for a hell of alot cheaper as well! LOL!

One thing is for certain. I have always been a fan of carbines, and I have come to the conclusion that the NATO 5.56mm round my AR15's use was never designed not intended to be used as a carbine round. On the other hand, the 'ancient' 7.62 rounds my AK's will be using don't seem to mind being used in carbines at all. And that's a comforting thought.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:52:48 AM EDT
I handled my first AK back around 1976. It was an Egyptian Maddi. Price tag was $1200.00, I opted for an SP1 AR-15 NIB for $269.00!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:58:45 AM EDT
I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:22:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 11:27:06 AM EDT by BiggerStick47]

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

Me too. One more time and I'll
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:36:06 PM EDT

I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

This is probably a stupid question but,what does that mean?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:38:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 12:40:54 PM EDT by Mattl]

Originally Posted By JOHNO:

I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

This is probably a stupid question but,what does that mean?

+1 WTF?????????

In Before the stupid ass AR token answer??????
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 12:51:23 PM EDT by JOHNO]
Atreides,Welcome To The Dark Side! I have M4s,FALs,a G3,and a few AKs,quite a few.I love'em all,but there's still just something that draws me into AKs.Whether your thing is shooting,collecting,building or just absorbing all of the sortid history associated with them,you're among Friends with like interests.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:24:21 PM EDT

I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

In Before The Stupid Welcome To The Dark-Side Pics
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BiggerStick47:

I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

Congradulations,you're doing well at making the AK side more like the AR side.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:33:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JOHNO:

Originally Posted By BiggerStick47:

I.B.T.S.W.T.T.D.S.P.

Congradulations,you're doing well at making the AK side more like the AR side.

Johno, it was a joke. Just a joke.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:17:54 AM EDT
Well, I think it's pretty official I guess...the dark side it is. LOL!

Ok so AR15 addiction is known as the "Sickness" (BRD)

and AK addiction is "the Dark Side".

Wonder what the FAL, CETME, HK guys consider themselves? (Above having silly nicknames I guess eh?)

Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:21:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Atreides:

Wonder what the FAL, CETME, HK guys consider themselves? (Above having silly nicknames I guess eh?)

Oh well.

I work for Microsoft - the Evil Empire. I own AKs and ARs.

I need to put all of this on my business card.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:40:57 PM EDT
RyJones

Foot Soldier of the Evil Empire

Documented BRD Carrier

and Cruiser of the Dark Side.

That's some business card.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:09:43 PM EDT
you know i have a psl, which is a ak47 on roids a wasr-10,.my bulgy ak74 that i built myself and about 4 ak parts kits chilling out in the basement

i also have one ar-15 in a colap. stock,16in barrel config,. its got all the trinkets,..flat top eo-tec,.knights armament fore end rails, surefire 900 weapon light,...

a cheapo hk91/g3 clone that is really fun to shoot,..

a m-1 garand

a gang of mosin nagants,.

and i love them all,..and as odd as it is with my time in the army, youd think id have more love for it,..but i would pawn/sell/trade off my ar for another ak or hk clone

and i think this is the one place where people would understand that

but im ranting,..
welcome

and enjoy your self a AK
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:24:09 AM EDT
Always good to have great members here!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:36:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Atreides:

Oh well.

For FALs it's FALaholism. I'm a FALaholic myself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:09 AM EDT
Top Top