Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2004 2:42:38 PM EDT
I was drilling out the rivets on a FEG receiver to remove the Hungarian front trunion to replace it with the Polish tunion from my PMKMS kit.  The drill bit walked a little while going through the rivet and did nip the holes.  They looked worse after I dimpled them.  Should I MIG weld what was removed?  See pic:

TIA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nah, just make sure the heads are big enough to cover.

Indeed!  No worries with that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Being the perfectionist that I am, I would tig it and then take my jewelers tools to make it look like it did.

The only reason I say that is because if I did not, it would always be in the back of my head.

I believe most people would let it slide, being you did not nip it that bad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Use swell neck rivets  seeing as you already champhered for them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
As minor as that is I would be more worried about rewelding it and screwing it up.

Purely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Dewd, that ain't shit.  I buggered my holes up on a 65 build.  I thought...shit I just wasted a receiver...I then thought again.  I busted out the rat tail and elongated the holes so that they lined up with the trunion and then tapped the trunion.  My beeyatch is now screwed up front and riveted elsewhere.  If there is any problems with the front half I will either do my best to mess up another receiver or weld up the holes and start again.  Ohe well. Twas my first AK build and I expected the learning curve to be sharp.  No worries there though...I don't build to sweat it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I started my first build this weekend and I managed to get the front trunion and barrel all drilled and tapped and mounte with NO PROBLEMS...  I screwed up mounting my rear trunion as I got anxious and over confident and now I have holes that are going to need to be welded and ground flush...

I don't have pics I can post but at least with metal there is always a way to put the metal back...

I gae up and need to look at it fresh but I am having all kinds of problems getting my rear trunion in the receiver so that the top-cover will mount and then there is the issue with all the extra holes from me being stupid....

Ugly AK-Pistol #1 with hope that pistol #2 looks better!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top