Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/18/2007 7:41:57 PM EDT
I can't fugging believe it!  I just got orders to Travis.  I am currently at Kadena, and my wife is having medical problems.  We were put on EFMP a couple of weeks ago and I just got an email saying that my DEROS has been curtailed to 20 May and I must report to Travis by 30 June.  My gut is in a giant knot right now.  I have a safe full of AK's, FAL's, AR's, a 1919 and just about any EBR you can think of sitting nice and legally in a safe in the free state of UT.  Am I screwed, and relegated to storing my property out of state or are there special dispensations for GI's?  Anyone that has any experience or insight they can share is more than welcome to pitch in.  Feel free to email or PM me, but it might be better to post to the thread so that others might use the knowledge in the future.

The upside is that I can see retirement in the distance, so I will only be stuck in hell for a couple of years.  What chaps my ass is that I am a CA resident and I will have pay state taxes to the liberal buttholes.  I was happy when I was tax exempt yet still have a voice to offset some liberal SoB with vote, but now they get their pound of flesh back.  Not to mention that I hate Fairfield and don't have a clue how I will afford housing.  An apartment is gonna suck with a wife and 3 kids!  I can't do it.  If I have to go broke renting or buying a house, I will just have to eat ramen until I retire!

Thanks for tolerating the rant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:50:52 PM EDT
I don't think there are any special exceptions for us military members as far as gun laws in the communist state of Kalifornia.  I was stationed there for almost 10 yrs.  Loved the weather but hated everything else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:10:37 PM EDT
I think your prediction will prove true Echo but lets hope for something no matter how small.

Check this out.  For every pistol I bring into the state I must fill out an import application and pay a $19 fee.  I wonder how they are gonna feel when I claim each and every application fee as moving expenses on my taxes.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:30:24 PM EDT

There is an ablity to register your "assault weapons" with the DOJ and bring them into the state. You must be moving on PCS orders, which it sounds like you are, and submit the paperwork and pay a fee, I believe it's $79. Once you submit your S/N's to the list you can not add any more (which is why I never did it, if I end up back here I want to bring all of my weapons and not store the new ones elsewhere.). However, Magazines are still a no-go (when I asked two years ago) to bring in. I don't know where the paperwork with the number is at the moment, but this has been discused before. It's not an ideal solution, I believe it's still pretty shitty, but it is better than nothing. 1 Year left before I PCS!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:00:55 PM EDT
Mrf2 is correct.

Please see the tacked post in the CA Hometown forum. Paul goes into detail on how to do it.

You can bring your AWs to CA, but the mags are a no go. Legally, that is.

I did a cut and paste of Paul's post below:

Obtaining an Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military Personnel.

Any person on active military duty with current, valid permanent change of station orders for duty in the State of California may apply for a DOJ Assault Weapon Permit for personal possession and or transportation of personally owned assualt weapons(s).

Does not apply for those under the age of 18.


Completed Application for Assault Weapon Permit for Military Personnel

$73 fee (postal money order)

Two complete ten-print fingerprint cards (your security unit can often do these)

A copy of your PCS orders

The application has the following information:

Applicant's military rank

Full name

Mailing Address

Physical residential address (if different)

Telephone number

Branch of service

Name and address of military base or unit assignment

Military ID number

Make, model, and serial number of each assualt weapon to be permitted

Applicant's signature

They called me within about four days of mailing and said that they were processing my permit. They left a message "the Department of Justice's Firearm Division would like to talk to you." - just what you want to hear on your answering machine!

It took about two weeks total to receive my permit. You can fill out a second sheet of paper if you have more weapons than the four spaces given on the permit.

Permits are valid for one year from issue or until the member terminates PCS orders in California, which ever comes first. Renewals are required each year and are free. They send a letter in the mail reminding you.

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
PO Box 820200
Sacramento, CA 94203-0200

I worked with:
Yolanda Garcia
Crimianl Intelligence Specialist 1
[email protected]
(916) 227-3274
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:07:49 AM EDT
Thanks for clearing that up for us.  I don't fee quite so bad about going back to SOCal when and if I ever go there again.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:12:36 AM EDT
Wow, you guys rule!  If you ever find yourselves in the Fairfield area later this summer, give me a shout and I will be happy to treat you to a barley pop or beverage of choice.  Hell, lets call it a BBQ and consume some charred protein while we are at it.  I kind of feel like a dumbass for not looking in the hometown forum myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:45:02 PM EDT
That's my nightmare, getting assigned to Travis to fly Freddies...  

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:28:38 PM EDT
I hear ya Spooky.  I am afraid I will be a safety or vehicle NCO in some squadron and bored to tears.  C-17 avionics are included in my job title but I am not sure if Travisty has a back shop or not.  It would be nice if they did and had a spot for me, but all that is still unknown right now.  I have not heard what unit I will be assigned to, but once I do I can give them a call and see what their plans are for me.  I suppose they could put me expediting on the flightline.  I would imagine I would need a 7 or 9 skill level for that though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:15:32 AM EDT
notice there is nothing in there about 10+ round mags or belts. even with the MAWP it is a felony to bring hicap mags into this state. you can get around that by taking apart the mags and storing them in parts. they will have to stay that way while in california. if your 1919 ammo is linked break them down to 10 round links for cloth belts not much you can do other than cut them or store them out of state.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:44:35 AM EDT
I only ran belts in the past.  Now I have an excuse to pick up a couple of thousand links.
Top Top