Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 11:28:19 AM EDT
I talked to my gunsmith yesterday, and he told me he could do the work, Now I just need to find a muzzle brake.  It's going on a new SAR-1.  Any Suggestions would be greatley appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as a gunsmith is doing it you have
lots of choices.
Try GlobalTrades.

www.globaltrades.com/10-01pdf/p6w.pdf
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I realize I have several choices, but I was asking if there was a suggested type of muzzle brake.  I was kind of looking twoards the 45 degree slant brake, but it just dosen't look to be that effective.  I asked some of the people I shoot with, but no one uses AK's or SKS's  everyone is using an AR of sometype.  BTW this gun will double as a hunting gun also (legal in GA)
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
On hand for a winter project for my plate shoot gun, SAR1, is a muzzle adaptor and brake from ak-103.com. US made, so no other parts need to be changed for legal reasons. 7.62 dia so no boring out of a 5.45 needed. Only $50.50 delivered. Unfinished bare metal (I plan to re paint my 2 yr old gun anyway, $10 can of Brownells Aluma Hyde). Campy has seen it and likes the design of the brake itself. Hammer/ slip on the threaded adaptor, put on the brake, line up, a few tack welds, paint, shoot.
Not a chrome lined piece with the nifty F sight threads that the batf lets you leave free to remove for cleaning, but half the cost of the Romy parts alone and no extra US bits needed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I took two of the "AK 74" type muzzle comps (14mm threads) and they were a perfect slipover fit on the muzzle. The only thing I had to do was "deepen" the threaded end so the comp would slip on and rest against the front sight. I then had it welded on the bottom and then touched it up. They look and shoot great.

I have two bulgarian waffles to go with the black polymer furniture, and two orange bakelite to go with the fixed triangle side folder. Looks great with the original wood foregrip.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
 RS39

On that AK-103 adpator/brake:
 How do you line it up and where do the welds go?  I've read that TIG welding is the way to go on these.
 What is a plate shoot like?  Never seen one.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Plate shoot is steel slabs set up like dominos, range officer blows whistle, first one to drop their side/color wins. Follow up speed matters a lot, along with 30 cal inertia.

Lining up refers to the top of the brake being straight up after threading onto the adapator. After tapping the adaptor onto the bbl close to the F sight, spin brake on, align, and I plan tack welds on the top and bottom. Should not be hard to touch the bbl, adaptor and brake in one modest bead.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top