Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2003 5:23:08 PM EDT
I think my next purchace will be an AK. It will either be a preban or post ban with a bayo and normal blonde furnature or RPK furnature. What I would like best is blonde RPD furnature. Does anyone make that? The yellow color just goes good with the AK. My second question is that I would like to get a drum mag with it. Which open up drum mag is best and where can I find one?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Best open up drum mag is Chinese.

You can find them here sometimes and all in the SGN.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you want it as a collectible buy a post ban.  There is no advantage in an AK to preban.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pre-ban and a post-ban.I'd take a pre-ban anyday over a post (of course I paid alot more too) Pre-ban is the way AK's were MEANT to be. All original parts and no American monkey parts. Threaded barrel, use any mag ya want, change miuzzle brakes like ya change yer underwear! TOO COOL! I shoot MY pre-ban...NO closet queen!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, blonde furniture at www.k-var.com
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless you want it as a collectible buy a post ban.  There is no advantage in an AK to preban.  

Well I just like the look of a polytech with a bayo. Which is of better quality, a 100 round chineese drum or 75? I dont mean round wise. Are they both the same quality? What is the SGN?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I am new to AKs as well and when I was looking I looked long and hard and ended up deciding to buy a Romainian SAR1 AKM.  The SAR1 is a post ban AK that will accept any double stack AK mag and it is the cheapest option out there for a decent quality beater AK.

As for mags, buy a bunch and try them for yourself.  I stocked up on mags as AK mags are still being imported and the prices are cheap.  I have a small collection of 20, 30, 40, and 55-rd stick mags plus several each of the 75 Chinease and Romanian mags.  Every mag I have ever tried in the AK works so the only mistake you will make is not buying them while they are cheap!

As for pre-ban vs post-ban, I agree that an AKM looks much better as a pre-ban BUT I am not willing to pay that premium.  My answer has been to buy the cheap post-ban AK for now and I also have two Ohio Ordanance AKM receivers plus a couple AKMS Parts kits (1 Romanian & 1 Polish) that I will build as pre-ban style weapons (underfolder stock, threaded barrel, bayonet lug) if the crime bill dies without renewal next year.

Oh, SGN is "Shot Gun News"

This is a good site for info but you should also read the old posts here...

ak-47.net/

With particularly helpful pages for what you want to know...

ak-47.net/ak47/index.html

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a pre-ban and a post-ban.I'd take a pre-ban anyday over a post (of course I paid alot more too) Pre-ban is the way AK's were MEANT to be. All original parts and no American monkey parts. Threaded barrel, use any mag ya want, change miuzzle brakes like ya change yer underwear! TOO COOL! I shoot MY pre-ban...NO closet queen!

For the price of 1 preban I can buy 4 or 5 postbans plus accesories. Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
CDNN has 75rnd Chicom drums for $99.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It will either be a preban or post ban with a bayo

only a pre-'89 ban ak can accept a bayonet lrgally.

I meant a preban with a bayo or a post ban.

Oh, SGN is "Shot Gun News"

:D I shouldve known that. Ive never seen it written like that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Which open up drum mag is best and where can I find one?

Chinese drum is the best.  The best place to get them is on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
<snip>... but the top-loading design is more difficult and time consuming to load. the chinese drums are far easier/faster to load.

Hey Campy, will the new AK/LULA fit on the drum? If so that should make filling the drum much, much better.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top