Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:49:06 AM EDT
I have a SAR2 that I sent to a very reputable gunsmith to be threaded for a brake. He told me that he would install the pins, brake, and everything. When I got the rifle back, it had no pins, no brake, nothing except threads. I have asked him numerous times what the thread pitch was, and he cannot or will not tell me. He finally sent me the brake and pins, but the brake he sent is a 14/1 and is too big.

How can I determine  how he threaded this barrel? It is very frustrating because I've got this really nice SAR2 with bare threads on it. I'm willing to pony up the money for another brake at this point, if I could just figure out which one to get.

I don't really want to get into who the smith was. He has an excellent rep on the boards, and I have just been unlucky on the two times I have dealt with his company. He did the thread job as a way to make up for the first experience I had with them. Then they dropped the ball on the thread job, never coming through on what he said he would do. Anyway, I just want to get my rifle right at this point. Help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a crappy place to deal with.  If he will not/cannot tell you what the threads are - it might be that he threaded it wrong and there will not be any brakes that will fit it now.  I don't know..................

One thing you could try is locating a nearby machine shop.  Take it by to them and someone there should be able to determine what threads they are.  Then you could decide on the route of which type of muzzle device you can/want to add.  If they did screw up and put the wrong threads, worse case is have the machine shop make a cap and cover the threads up.

Good Luck,

DK
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If he put the threads on the barrel itself. It's probably 1/2 x 28 threads, same as a AR15.
I say this because you said the 14 x 1 threaded muzzle device was too small. AK 74's have threaded front sight bases. They're not threaded on the barrel like an AKM. You will need a Romanian AK-74 FSB to add the 22mm threaded muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
They make thread pitch gauges, you should go to the hardware or tool store and see if you can find one, and match up your threads to the gauge.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top