Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/19/2002 10:35:14 PM EDT
Hi, I'm Ross and I'm an gunaholic.

It started when I began to get bored with the AR. Sure, it may have been all those years with the M16 in the Army that bred a familiarity that just made the AR boring, but that wasn't it. I needed more. Just shooting a couple thousand rounds a year wasn't enough, so I started building some ARs but wasn't satisfied.

I went to the heavier stuff. I put together a FAL, then another, then another, and pretty soon I had grown bored of that. I had started down that road of addcition. The dominos had begun to fall and I began to look for more and more sophisticated projects.

I tried the M14. Aside from wiping out my checking account for parts, the M14 did a good job of satisfying my urge to build things for a while. It was the prime stuff. Old world technology, serious work to do it right. Also you took your time shooting it, so it saved on all that Hirtenberger. I was able to get on the wagon for a while and managed to control my gun urges by just buying a gun here and there. Afterall the VA one handgun a month law means I had to buy one a month, right?

After the BRC I was farily spent. Like a drunk on a binge, I was wore out on guns. I had only shot a couple of mags on the range, and I was able to limit my purchase to the CAV-15 blem lower. It was over a week until I actually built-up the CAV arms lower. I even didn't get to the range that much. I thought I was on the road to revcovery. That maybe I'd actually be able to save money for important things, like getting out of debt.

Well, not really. I've fiddled around with projects, fixing this or that. Buying an AK here and there. Swaping AK parts so I could come up with that idiotic US parts count. Installing my RSA trigger in my 7.62x54R Romak-3. So, I haven't been really clean for a long time. I realized that I was just able to hide my addiciton from myself with little "fixes" (he,he,he)

It goes in cycles. I shoot constantly, or I build constantly. I don't know which is worse. They both cost money. Of course to save on shooting, I have to buy cases of Wolf, etc. and to save on building, I can't pass up deals (like the current K-var AK-74 kit).

Maybe it's a deeper psychological problem. Maybe I just like to spend money and I spend it on guns instead of cars (who am I kidding, I spend it there too!).

I knew I was hooked when I bought a bayonet at a gunshow, and then bought a gun to go with it at the next. I'm hopeless.

Oh well, now I'm trying to resist the K-var AK-74 kit, but it's calling me to action. I'm going to order one of those, and while I'm at it I'll order more useless crap from K-var under the guise of saving money on shipping or some other lie.

WILL IT NEVER END!!!

Ross
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:37:23 PM EDT
(Group) Hi Ross!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2002 11:03:29 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
Hi Ross.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

I've never gotten to the second step so I don't know what it is.

Really..... I can stop any time I want to....
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 11:26:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ross:

WILL IT NEVER END!!!

Ross

NO
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:32:50 AM EDT
And the best part of this particular disease is that its contagious! Take a friend shooting with you, and you have someone to wallow in misery with (And until they buy their own stuff, they can help pay for your ammo habit)

FOTBR
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 2:54:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:22:15 AM EDT
Ross, thank you for starting this thread, now I can prove it to my wife that I am not alone in this delema. It is a terrible disease that rips at your very soul.

I mean, 48 Mausers is not a bad thing right? They all have a "historical significance"...right?

I too must admit straying from the path, I too have gone the way of the FAL, M1 series, etc. Someone please find a cure before I run out of countries to buy guns from. Only with the help of you guys can I stop before all that is left is............GULP............ FRENCH guns.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:24:42 AM EDT
I thought I was alone. Now I know that this site has contributed to our addiction for guns.

It's pretty bad when you think about guns more than sex; (This is a very serious problem).

I bought my daughter a $450 bed mattress this weekend and all I could think about was damn I could have purchased a SAR-2 with K-VAR furniture for that. I would have still had enough left over change for some ammo.

I think this calls for group theropy! I do believe that Campy, Rotdorn, Wave, and any other staff should be excluded because they are all evil.

They have put subliminal messages into our heads; ( buy it, buy it, you need this, now you need that, that is sweet, look at this baby, buy it, buy it).

Ross, Thanks for posting this thread and admitting that you have a problem. I believe that many other members will follow your lead and admit that they too are gunaholic's.

I also admit that I am a gunaholic. Damn I feel better, but what is the next step. Group theropy?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:37:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:43:44 AM EDT
ober, its ok, most of us own an M48 Mauser... its not like you have 48 Mausers... right?!?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 8:03:15 AM EDT
Hiram, I have 6 M48's, the rest of the 48 are Various Mausers from different countries. Might be more, I haven't counted in a while. I started out as a German Mauser collector, then it spread to every country in Europe, Aisa, South/Central America, even countries that do not exist now! These include Mausers and "domestic" designs.

I wish you hadn't said that Campy, I already have an MAS-36, all three MAS-49 varients and the .22 caliber MAS trainer. I am worse off than I thought.

Looking to buy an AR-50 next even though I have no clue as to what the hell I am going to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:25:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By obershutze916:
Looking to buy an AR-50 next even though I have no clue as to what the hell I am going to do with it.

That's easy--
Make lotsa noise, be the envy of your support group, and make half inch holes in things.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:40:03 AM EDT
Hi Ross! Welcome to the addiction. It only gets worse. My addiction has finally led to the AR-50, and the family is wondering where I'll go from here. I wonder if there is a support group for those like us in Virginia? At least you have taken the first step. Admitting to it. Me, I'll suffer with this at least 40+ more years.
Best of Luck.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:42:57 AM EDT

That's easy--
Make lotsa noise, be the envy of your support group, and make half inch holes in things.

-FOTBR

LOL! Ground hogs beware!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 10:03:06 AM EDT
that is why i like this site so much, i have the same disease , i couldnt believe there were others the same as me.

i hope the addiction never ends.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:10:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Minuteman419:
Hi Ross! Welcome to the addiction. It only gets worse. My addiction has finally led to the AR-50, and the family is wondering where I'll go from here. I wonder if there is a support group for those like us in Virginia? At least you have taken the first step. Admitting to it. Me, I'll suffer with this at least 40+ more years.
Best of Luck.
MM419

Yes There is a support group there! call the FBI/ATF/CIA/State POLICE/BOY SCOUTS etc! etc!
and just tell them you live in virgina and own .223's I'am shure you will be in a program,
real fast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 2:10:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DumbAss:

Yes There is a support group there! call the FBI/ATF/CIA/State POLICE/BOY SCOUTS etc! etc!
and just tell them you live in virgina and own .223's I'am shure you will be in a program,
real fast.

Thanks. They already know what everyone's got. When they're finished here maybe they will visit there. Seriously, no one here is laughing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:08:46 PM EDT
WE LOVE YOU MAN.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:09:41 PM EDT
Yep, but instead of a lame ass 12 step support group, we have 'enablers' around us. Damn this M39 is nice, might need another. But there are other Mosins too, and Turk and M48 Mausers. Several AKs and still growing in calibers. This modular monster called an AR15, but it was better timing to build some FALs next. Spend more time at the 22 league with Bob, another guy wants to find a loaner coat for me to shoot in, first fix is free. A few small handguns, but I need a 45 in there for sure, so I expect that to be done by this time next week. What, no shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:40:28 PM EDT
Hey, anyone know where I can get a Howitzer? Or maybe a Sherman tank? I'll settle for that.

Where the hell do you expect me to ask? Everyone is tied up in group...
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2002 5:43:13 PM EDT by themao]
I have or have owned:

1. Ruger 10/22
2. Browning Gold 3" shotgun
3. Ruger Mini-14 (traded in for an AR-15)
4. Bushmaster V-match 16" carbine
5. Para Ordnance P14-45 Ltd (traded in for S&W)
6. S&W Model 627 Performance Center Revolver
7. SAR-2
8. Winchester Model 12 shotgun (got from grandpa)

Do I qualify yet? I'm only 21 though. The next set of purchases are going to be another shotgun (over and under for sporting clays), a 9 mm handgun (HK USP compact most likely) and another AK (AK-103 or LEGP).

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 4:47:40 AM EDT
Ross; Ain't this a wonderful diesase? I've had it for 35 years and just now really seeing how great it can be. This site has enabled me to meet people like RS39 and CampyBob, learn about 'the better stuff', look at shooting as more than just something to do when the inlaws come in on Thanksgiving to pass the time, and really spend some serious bucks. Hope none of us ever get over this 'disease'.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 5:01:48 AM EDT
I am an innocent victim...

It started with my older brother, "Here, Shoot this Ruger for free" he said.

He showed me how to use... and shoot it up...

He fed me free ammo and soon I was hooked.

Then he said if I would get my friends involved, he would keep my habit fed.

Soon we were shooting it up in groups. We would sneak off early in the morning and shoot unsuspecting deer and turkey...

We would eat the flesh of our victims... oh the humanity!

Oh God, Oh God why can't I stop?!?

I have even involved my sons in this amazingly adictive habit. I have no excuse...

My name is Herb and I'm a GUNAHOLIC!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 7:16:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:57:41 AM EDT
I guess this will be our first AA (Assault-Rifleoholics Anonymous)meeting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:54:59 PM EDT
I think we should meet here each day to discuss our problems or other gun related issues.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2002 1:50:48 PM EDT by M4Madness]
My name is David, and I'm a gunaholic as well. It started out innocently enough. Back when I was junior high school age, some of my friends were shooting. I caved in to peer pressure and experimented with them. I just did it a few times at first. "I smoked shot, but I didn't inhale aim." At first I just did it on weekends and never bought any myself. Then it started to be an after school thing.
When I was in high school an older cousin of mine started attending college in another town. I went down for a visit and stayed the weekend. He glanced around suspiciously, looking for peering eyes, and said that he had something to show me. He pulled out an Armscor Precision M-1600R (the cheap .22LR with the telescoping wire stock that looked like an M16) and handed it to me. The next thing I knew, I was buying that .22LR from my cousin because I needed a more permanent fix.
Pretty soon I was buying from various dealers. Most of the transactions were made in dim basements and garages. I was kind of cautious at first, trying not to draw attention to my filthy habit. Then I got my own home and before long, I was very open about my obsession, not caring who came over and saw my goods displayed around the living room. I had paraphernalia lying around everywhere; spare ammo and cleaning supplies. An inspection of my car's ashtray would have turned up spent shell casings. A pedestrian passing by my open window would have detected the pleasant aroma of Hoppes gently wafting into the cool night air. I started eating ramen noodles and frozen burritos, washing them down with a case of Big Red soda, in order to finance my slavery.
As you know BB guns and .22's are just "gateway firearms" to the more hardcore stuff. I soon graduated up to the really evil stuff, you know, AR-15's, AK-47's, a SPAS-12, and other evil "assault weapons". I learned that the really good stuff comes from faraway exotic places, not the domestic stuff. Then about 1991 (before the dreaded '94 AW ban), I had friends who helped my kick this life-destroying habit by introducing me to fast cars. Then I quit cold turkey and sold ALL of my firearms, and bought car parts--big cams, high-rise intakes, headers, and four-barrel carbs. That eased the pain of quitting cold turkey somewhat, but I just couldn't get the cravings to subside fully.
After a failed marriage, I met and married another woman whose family introduced me to hunting. Finally, I didn't need to be ashamed about my firearms cravings any longer. After four miserable, gunless years I reasoned that slug guns are nothing to be ashamed of. After all, most people have slug guns in their gun cabinets. I started buying hunting shotguns and rifles. Over time, I started giving myself more and more to the dark side by buying a "pre-ban" here and there to replace the ones I had been longing for all those dark years. Now it is a full-blown obsession again, with me sneaking into the computer room to log onto AR15.COM under a screen name to hide my shame and making telephone calls to various firearms accessory companies to order "goodies" to help me make it through the day. My wife gets upset and threatens me, saying I need to slow down and use my hard-earned money for useless things, like a water heater and food. I just need to win the lottery and it will be alright...
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:46:52 PM EDT
The post ban AK's aren't really bad, it's the belt feds that really kick your budget. $65 per minute fer cryin out loud.... and that's cheap 8mm. I can't imagine what the 50 BMG guys do, they have to be doing $450 per minute. I only have one friend with a 50, he's had it for three years and hasn't shot it yet.
Top Top