Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT
Let's say I'm willing to spend ~$200.  Should I go with 2 Romanian kits, a Polish underfolder or a Tantal?  I'd like to have a 74, but I usually buy my ammo locally and I haven't seen 5.45 for sale yet.  The extra cutting on the underfolder intimidates me.  I built my Romanian with a Dremel and a 8" drill press.  I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time cutting that big hole for the underfolder.  But, I DO have a Romanian already.  I could buy a Romanian and put a folder on it.  I guess it's between a Tantal and 2 Romy's.  Someone tell me where to go here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
tantal 5.45
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished 2 underfolders with a hand drill and a dremel.  Both came out perfect, all the holes are round (no ovaling.. ) and the folding mech. is solid, locks in both positions and does not move.

I cut the underfoleer holes with a small bit, then a 1/2" bit then cut the rest with the dremel and a carbide cutting bit.  I had 2 different ones, a small one and a med crosscut bit (looks like its checkered).  the little tabs on one side can be cut with the dremel or a 1/8" chainsaw file.

it is not hard, but takes a little extra time.

t
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If I was you, I'd quit dicking around asking people what I should buy, and just buy whatever your wallet will allow. With the barrel ban coming, the masses are buying up every available kit and completed rifle on the market. The more you screw around, the less chance you will have to be able to buy anything at all! No insult intended!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I was you, I'd quit dicking around asking people what I should buy, and just buy whatever your wallet will allow. With the barrel ban coming, the masses are buying up every available kit and completed rifle on the market. The more you screw around, the less chance you will have to be able to buy anything at all! No insult intended!

+1
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

Less talk, more buy.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Less talk, more buy.

+1, in fact, buy 2 or 3 and put 'em on plastic! +
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
keep talking and when you want to buy there wont be any at the price they are now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Tantal ordered yesterday morning!

/sings I'm gonna have a tantal I'm gonna have a tantal

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
okay, can someone link me to the thread about the details of this ban?

what really in a nutshell does it mean (if you can answer it I won't need to look for the thread)?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

what really in a nutshell does it mean (if you can answer it I won't need to look for the thread)?

www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

No more foreign barrels configured in such a way with accessories such as bayonet lugs and muzzle devices will be imported if the assembly of the barrel would make a rifle that is banned from importation under the sporting purposes clause
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

No more foreign barrels configured in such a way with accessories such as bayonet lugs and muzzle devices will be imported if the assembly of the barrel would make a rifle that is banned from importation under the sporting purposes clause

No more imported receivers either...  (Imbel FAL Receiver biggest loss IMHO)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#13]
So can you still buy AK-74's built at the same price after this goes into effect and importations stopped?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]
So can you still buy AK-74's built at the same price after this goes into effect and importations stopped?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
GET 2 ROMANIANS WHILE YOU CAN! Scottgull is out of them pending price increase, and I beleive CFS, IO, and pretty much everyone else will be too.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL, READ THE THREAD!  I bought a Tantal kit weeks ago.  Someone resurrected this to ask about the ban.

Quoted:
GET 2 ROMANIANS WHILE YOU CAN! Scottgull is out of them pending price increase, and I beleive CFS, IO, and pretty much everyone else will be too.

Ben

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LOL, READ THE THREAD!  I bought a Tantal kit weeks ago.  Someone resurrected this to ask about the ban.

Quoted:

Ben

I just like saying those words.

Get two more!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, in that case, Get both!

Quoted:
I just like saying those words.

Get two more!

Ben

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top