Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2010 1:01:05 PM EDT
Well, I bought my first AK (a WASR 10/63) the other day and while trying to sight it in, I broke the part of the front sight tool that adjusts the front sight post.  So, first, where can I get another front sight tool and second, should I replace the front sight entirely or do something else with it?  I tried spraying Rem Oil in the front sight to loosen it up, but that didn't help much.  The gun is shooting low, so I think that I can just grind down the front sight post easily and have a decent zero or should I get a new front sight?  I can still move the post right and left, but it is very difficult.  What should I do?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
where can I get another front sight tool and second, should I replace the front sight entirely or do something else with it

look in your cleaning kit, there should be a front sight post adjuster  in there, it's at the end of the screwdriver.   you put the screwdriver end into the slot that is in cleaning kit case for the handle.  as for replacing the FS post, you still have to unscrew the post to remove it, so what's the point of replacing it, if you can move the post?

might want to try to heat the FS post with a torch, that is what I did to mine.  the problem with the post, is that  they painted  them  "shut".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought an AK74 that had a very stiff front site post about six months ago.  I also bought a front sight adjustment tools from AIM.  Immediately, when I first tried to lower the front sight the tool broke.  I had AIM send me a new tool made by a different company and again the tool broke.  So finally I got an arsenal front sight elevation adjustment tool made of stainless steel.  With that I was able to adjust the front sight to where I wanted.  In my opinion there's nothing wrong with a stiff front sight.  I figure once you get a stiff sight zeroed it will stay zeroed no matter how much you shoot and bang the rifle around.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The TAPCO AK tool has good reviews online, bought one at Natchez or maybe CTD and it has worked well.  You might just need to try a stronger one.
Once you are able to get it to move a little you shouldn't have trouble with it again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
1 pound sledge and some cold blue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
One source tactical sells the best AK tool ever. check it out
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One source tactical sells the best AK tool ever. check it out

Lies.

Buy this and don't look back:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188813532

The tool you probably had that broke is on the right, the one in the auction is pictured on the left.  

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/188813000/188813532/pix2136336375.jpg

I bought one of these, then my local gunsmith bought one when he saw mine, too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top