Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/4/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT by JimTh]
Everyone was saying that the Romanians have lacquer on them, so, having spent some time on the C&R side, I knew that denatured alcohol dissolves lacquer. I started trying to remove the lacquer, but found that the den. alc. polished the surface very well. It removed some and left a smooth surface that looks pretty good, and it's the original finish. I'm happy with it for now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:19:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:39:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2005 9:04:20 AM EDT by 4get_No1]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Great! Where is the picture?

You betcha - pic please. I got my wife a SAR and would like to see it more like a satin finish than flat-black. This might be just the trick.

ETA: I'm
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 7:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2005 7:44:28 AM EDT by JimTh]
A pic of the buttstock taken straight on to show how glossy it is.

A pic of the complete set trying to minimize reflection.

The upside to this is, it's easy. The downside is if there are problems with the original finish, like chips, then they don't go away.

All I did was wet a paper towel with denatured alcohol then rub. As soon as I stopped rubbing and it started drying, a white film would develop. It seemed to work best if I just rubbed until the paper towel dried. That stuff evaporates like crazy, so it doesn't take long. I just tinkered until the white film disappeared and I had a glossy finish. This just removes all the tiny surface scratches and polishes the lacquer.
ETA: There are a few places where the lacquer had blistered. They're still there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:14:23 AM EDT
I also had good results with this technique after seeing Scott Gull post his results. It's incredibly easy.

Just a note: The finish is shellac, not laquer. DNA won't attack laquer. You must use laquer thinner on a laquer finished stock. Just so we're all on the same page.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:46:57 AM EDT
Okie dokie, had my finishes mixed up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:15:27 AM EDT
i'm completely redoing the wood on mine will post a pic when done. Sanded it all down now i'm applying a golden oak stain to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:43:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Exile:
i'm completely redoing the wood on mine will post a pic when done. Sanded it all down now i'm applying a golden oak stain to see how it turns out.

+1 I'm in the process of sanding... Its a pain. I'll be applying Dark Wallnut stain.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:24:26 PM EDT
I guess you guys are sanding the shellac off? The thing about DNA is, it seems like you need to submerge something in it to remove shellac. It just takes off a little at a time when you rub with it. Does anyone have a good way to chemically strip with DNA?

Jim
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:23:52 PM EDT
I like the oak stain on it. Its not that mahogany/cherry color but it doesn't look like oak due to the woods coloring.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:18:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2005 5:18:44 PM EDT by Rhino_66]

Originally Posted By JimTh:
I guess you guys are sanding the shellac off? The thing about DNA is, it seems like you need to submerge something in it to remove shellac. It just takes off a little at a time when you rub with it. Does anyone have a good way to chemically strip with DNA?

Jim

1. Buy a gallon of Denatured Alcohol at the hardware store.
2. Buy a box of 1 gallon zip-lock bags.
3. Strip all the metal parts off the wood.
4. Wipe excess debris and grease off wood.
5. Put wood into zip-lock bag.
6. Pour alcohol into bag. You don't need to cover the parts completely. When you close the bag, roll up the excess around the parts with rubberbands/string/tape/etc. to maximize the coverage.
7. Repeat as necessary to remove all of the finish.

The shellac will soften and come off in flakes. You can change the alcohol when you think it gets too nasty. Don't pour the alcohol and shellac down the drain. The residue will stick to your pipes.

The alcohol helps degrease the wood somewhat. I soak the parts in lacquer thinner to get really greasy parts cleaned up.

This is a stockset from a Romie kit I purchased from DPHArms. The parts were soaked in alcohol to remove the shellac. Then the parts were sprayed with a mild bleach solution to help remove the stain that was used on them. After the bleaching, the parts were wet-sanded with a medium sanding sponge and soap & water. After the sanding/washing, they were rinsed in really hot water. Then a final splash of alcohol to help them dry faster.

This stockset is cleaner than any other that I've worked on. I think it has more to do with the condition of the parts than my efforts... There aren't any dents, chips, or gouges in the parts. They weren't too nasty, but the shellac was chipped and they were fairly greasy.

I want to do this set up with amber shellac with a little red and brown dye mixed in to get a realistic russian color.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:54:15 PM EDT
I used Oven Cleaner to remove the Romanian finish. I applied it 3 times to each wood part and removed almost all the romanian finish...
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:39:49 PM EDT
Now that's clean wood!
I may have to try that. If it comes out that light, then I think it would be cool to put a natural or slightly honey colored finish on. Maybe get a nice blonde color with the laminate stripes.
I think Exile is gonna send me a pic of his oak stain finish, that maybe close to what I'm thinking of.

Originally Posted By Rhino_66:
SNIP

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:02:12 PM EDT
Now that i've put sanding sealer on it. Its becoming a bit darker( I like).
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:35:37 PM EDT
Exile,
Got your pics, will post a couple tonight if I don't get too absorbed in HALO online.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:11:32 AM EDT

Exile,
Got your pics, will post a couple tonight if I don't get too absorbed in HALO online.

Where's the pix?!?!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:40:21 AM EDT
i just used my oxy torch to burn off the old finish, it catches fire and bubbles right off. just work in sections, lite it, let it burn for 3 seconds and blow it out, then do another spot. then it is ready for bleaching
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:08:29 PM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=72185

LOL @ you because you posted in that thread!

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

Exile,

Where's the pix?!?!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:32:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rhino_66:
SNIP

Hey Rhino,

Did that Buttstock have the Blac stripe on the end?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:08:41 PM EDT
the hardest part i have with redoing the furniture of guns is getting that stupid metal plate off of the end of the buttstock. no matter what its trouble. heh.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
Did mine this weekend. Stained Honey Oak and then pollyd with 3 coats of spray. Looks pretty atleast I like it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:49:04 PM EDT
nice job!
Top Top