Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2013 1:48:15 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the IO Inc., Hellhound AK-47? I see that Royal Tiger Imports recently had them for $799 which seems cheap given the current political situation. They are taking backorders with shipping expected "in a few weeks". The nice thing is they don't charge your card until it ships. Any opinions on this deal? I've read good and bad reviews on Royal Tiger Imports (apparently they are the retail division of IO Inc.). However, most reviews online seem pretty positive for the Hellhound AK.  I'm a patient guy so long as in the end I get a good product.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a solid 7.62 AK, save some money and get an Arsenal SGL21. I have yet to hear one positive review from I.O. AK's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like the M10 AK47. I do like the modern tactical AK's. One of the things that I don't like about this and the M10 is the front sight being part of the gas block. It makes for an akward or very short sight radius. Probably much better for close work. I have the M10 and like it despite this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I.O. builds have been questionable, though to be honest I haven't heard of many bad reviews regarding their Hellhounds. Their customer service appears to be pretty good if you get a problem rifle, though there's no guarantee that the replacement will be any better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
no chrome barrel. hammer forged? saiga's for me thank you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
A) buy cheap POS AK

B) sell AK during panic for way more then you paid for it

C) buy awesome Krebs custom AK when panic goes away with the little you had invested in POS AK.

D).....

E) profit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Once I managed to dislodge the very tight top cover, I noted a Tapco G2 trigger mechanism inside. Fitted to the front of the receiver is a 16.2-inch chrome moly barrel chambered in 7.62×39. I.O. Inc. says the barrels are match grade and capable of producing two-inch groups at 100 yards.

It is built on what I.O. Inc. claims is a military-spec, pressed sheet-metal receiver using Polish factory blue prints. The action is traditional Kalashnikov with a standard European rivet pattern.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2012/06/28/one-hell-of-a-rifle-the-i-o-inc-hellhound-review/#ixzz2ICzONky7

According to that review it does have a chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally would stay away from any rifle whose manufacturer created a cheesy, ridiculously sounding nickname like "Hellhound," to help sell said rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I managed to dislodge the very tight top cover, I noted a Tapco G2 trigger mechanism inside. Fitted to the front of the receiver is a 16.2-inch chrome moly barrel chambered in 7.62×39. I.O. Inc. says the barrels are match grade and capable of producing two-inch groups at 100 yards.

It is built on what I.O. Inc. claims is a military-spec, pressed sheet-metal receiver using Polish factory blue prints. The action is traditional Kalashnikov with a standard European rivet pattern.

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2012/06/28/one-hell-of-a-rifle-the-i-o-inc-hellhound-review/#ixzz2ICzONky7

According to that review it does have a chrome barrel.

Not the same thing.  He was referring to a chrome lined barrel, not a barrel made using chrome moly steel.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Cant speak for the HELLHOUND but i can speak for the HELLCAT.
.380 pocket pistol.
Pure junk.
Good customer service.
Would not buy from them again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Cant speak for the HELLHOUND but i can speak for the HELLCAT.
.380 pocket pistol.
Pure junk.
Good customer service.
Would not buy from them again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I'll follow everyone's advice and look elsewhere. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just get a yugo or a MAK90 and then add the rails if you want to modernize it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I personally would stay away from any rifle whose manufacturer created a cheesy, ridiculously sounding nickname like "Hellhound," to help sell said rifle.

+1

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't mind the looks of it, but I've read about quality control problems with IO AKs
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My best friend who also happens to be my FFL Dealer,  bought FIVE I O's back in 2010 and sold four of them to friends including me. The price was around $425.00 each out the door.

Not one of them would go through a full 30 round mag without hanging-up on an open bolt. Pull back on the charging handle and get a few more rounds out of it. Jam again. Always with the bolt hung-up to the rear.
Tried different magazines: same result. Seemed to be hanging-up on the receiver rails.

His, unfortunately was the worst one. Maybe three rounds before open-bolt jammimg.
Returned it to I O and received another, no-questions asked, that was just as bad. Thank GOD for the lifetime warranty.
After a third one with the same problem, he returned his, mine, and one of the others sold to someone who was made aware of the problem but insisted he could "fix it."
Other two guys kept them as safe-queens as they don't shoot much.

Not saying this will happen to you.
Just relaying an experience.
Easy company to deal with, but who wants to go through the hassel?
Needless to say, I do not have a good opinion of I O's.

Spent $1500.00 on a Firingline-milled-receiver underfolder and have had no problems after 500+ rounds.
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
looks like the M10 AK47. I do like the modern tactical AK's. One of the things that I don't like about this and the M10 is the front sight being part of the gas block. It makes for an akward or very short sight radius. Probably much better for close work. I have the M10 and like it despite this.

You need to view the sight in terms of SBR. You will love the sight if the barrel is chopped just beyond it and threaded. It will be perfect then.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top