Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 10:04:45 AM EDT
I have read the various reports online and I see that most people feel that the 12-ton press is a good minimum that should work for any build while the 20-ton is a little more rigid and provides additional capability if needed (I have yet to see anybody claime they needed more then 12-tons).

Now, I am going to buy from HarborFreight and I see they make both an A-frame and H-frame press in the 12-ton class...

H- Frame:  $124.99

A- Frame:  $99.99 (On Sale)

I am curious if there is an advantage with one style over the other?  I will likely get the cheaper press unless someone lets me know I am missing something!

Edit:  I also see the 20-ton press is on sale...

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879 ($199 on sale)

I just didn't want that huge of a press as I don't think I will use it all that much and the extra weight would make it much more of a PITA to move....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
While both would probably work, it is only $25 we're talking here. Over the life of the equipment that's not much. The first one looks a bit more heavy duty to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a pretty good difference...  I compared the two owners manuals and the H-press looks to be a much easier and more versitile system then the A-press.  I still welcome oppinions but looking at the manuals I like the moving Jack Plate on the H-press better then the version used on the A frame...

A Press Manual
H Press manual
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The H press is pretty hard to beat  IMO...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are buying this strictly for AK builds, then the 12 ton H frame should be OK.  The 20 ton would be more for a commercial/industrial maintenance type environment.  It wouldn't hurt to have the extra power, but it isn't necessary unless you are going to use it for other projects, and even then the 12 ton would have plenty of power.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top