Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:48:23 AM EDT
My rifle has a problem with what appears to be a tight chamber.  Rounds will not fully chamber.  I imagine the most likely remedy would be to ream the chamber.  

If you ream a tight chamber that had been chromed, how would that affect the overall corrosive protection that the original chromed chamber and bore provided?  I would think that if the chamber's chrome liining were removed, this would leave an interface between bare metal and the chromed throat and rifle bore.  Because chrome is a plating and can flake off, couldn't corrosive gases get underneath the chrome plating at this leading edge and leave residue that couldn't be cleaned, leading to corrosion?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be more concerned with messing up the chamber and having an unsuppported case explode.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked the headspace and determined that it is correct? What appears to be a tight chamber may be incorrect headspace.
Have you made a cast of the chamber and determined that it is out of spec?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have you checked the headspace and determined that it is correct? What appears to be a tight chamber may be incorrect headspace.
Have you made a cast of the chamber and determined that it is out of spec?

wow this
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You'd probably hammer your reamer, too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay... Let's assume that head space is not the main issue, because rounds will not fully insert into the chamber.  Let's assume that I send rifle back to the importer and they ream the chamber, destroying the chrome lining.  Now... under that scenario, how will this affect corrosion under the remaininig chrome lining in the beginning of the throat or bore?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's assume that head space is not the main issue, because rounds will not fully insert into the chamber.  

Not necessarily a valid assumption, sice insufficient headspace is the condition in whch the cartridge "will not fully insert into the chamber", causing the bolt to fail to lock up.
BTW: the last person who posted about such a problem had a portion of a ruptured cartridge in the chamber.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let's assume that I send rifle back to the importer and they ream the chamber, destroying the chrome lining.  Now... under that scenario, how will this affect corrosion under the remaininig chrome lining in the beginning of the throat or bore?

Let's assume that you never fire corrosively primed ammunition and always clean the rifle promptly and throughly. Let's further assume that you keep the rifle properly oiled at all times.
In that scenario, CORROSION will not be a problem.
Let's assime that you always fire corrosive ammuntion and never clean the rifle at all. Let's assume that you never oil the rifle.
In that scenario, damage from CORROSION is inevitable.

Aren't hypothetical questios fun?

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top