Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:51 AM EDT
Is it possible to polish the bolt carrier without it rusting? i want that polytec look on my arsenal.

shawn
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My bolt hasn't had  a spec of rust form on it in almost a year and a half and I don't clean my rifle very often.

I used the birchwood casey rust and blue remover then the dremel followed by the finest grit sand paper I could find.looks great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My bolt hasn't had  a spec of rust form on it in almost a year and a half and I don't clean my rifle very often.

I used the birchwood casey rust and blue remover then the dremel followed by the finest grit sand paper I could find.looks great.

Birchwood Casey, hey I have some of that lying around!

Anyone know if the B/C rust remover will do any damage/discoloration to a Yugo bright finished bolt carrier?  mine has a few micropits and specs on it that I would like to clean up, but I don't want the carrier to end up cloudy and icky looking for the sake of a few pits and corrosion spots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I took some  gun oil, and a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper and just started polishing,  no rust ever  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I did the same thing by useing the blue and rust remover and a dremel about a year later no rust ....my brother didn't even use blue remover on his wasr and there is rust all over the bolt....he is an ar guy so he wont clean the rust off he says "I'm not going to clean my ak because it's an ak"..........damn ar guys  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone know if the B/C rust remover will do any damage/discoloration to a Yugo bright finished bolt carrier?  mine has a few micropits and specs on it that I would like to clean up, but I don't want the carrier to end up cloudy and icky looking for the sake of a few pits and corrosion spots.

Dawg,  I am feeling dam generous today, send me your bolt carrier, I will work through the grades of buffing coumpound, down to rouge and flitz on my Baldor bench top buffer.

Send enough cash for return shipping.

IM me if you want to do this.

I am thinking of offering this service soon to all interested. for $15.00 plus return shipping.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Polish the bolt carrier..is that what the kids are calling it now a days?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Polish the bolt carrier..is that what the kids are calling it now a days?

In most parts of the US we are refering to refinining the finish of the AK series bolt carrier  to a lustrous  sheen.  Perhaps in your neck of the woods it means something different.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Oklahoma because of my job.
Move the airplanes and pilot training to Texas and I'm there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm in Oklahoma because of my job.
Move the airplanes and pilot training to Texas and I'm there.

Man Texas, I have never been there but have some friends there.  Sounds like a great place.

Although I must admit, I love my Pennsylvania, you get all 4 seasons (although sometimes it seems at the same time.)

Well, hey, since you were the only one to respond, the same deal goes for you as Dawg, Send your carrier and I will make it shine.  (IM me).

Take care,

Glenn
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't want the carrier to end up cloudy and icky looking for the sake of a few pits and corrosion spots.

Can you use the word "icky" talking about an AK?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys, just got the bolt carrier finished, hand sanded it for about 4 hrs, lol. i have before and after pics if anyone wants to host them, i can send them.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey guys, just got the bolt carrier finished, hand sanded it for about 4 hrs, lol. i have before and after pics if anyone wants to host them, i can send them.

Shawn

Shawn would like to see them,  I use hunt101.com for free photo hosting,
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
here is a good write up. keep in mind i did it by hand, which took 10x longer

shawn
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a fine wire brush on a drill and cleaned it up in no time.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg,  I am feeling dam generous today, send me your bolt carrier, I will work through the grades of buffing coumpound, down to rouge and flitz on my Baldor bench top buffer.

Send enough cash for return shipping.

IM me if you want to do this.

I am thinking of offering this service soon to all interested. for $15.00 plus return shipping.

I am a DYI type guy, just needed the info and I will go about it myself.  But thank you very much for the offer!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]
After reading this thread this mourning i decided to do mine to a carrier that i'm building a pistol with. the carrier is off a romanian kit and it was deep rich blued, what i did was remove the finish with the wire wheel on the bench grinder, It removed it all and gave a fresh steel look to it. I then removed the wire wheel and put on a hard cloth polishing wheel on my bench grinder and used A black polishing stick for compound, that brought it to a real nice sheen (i should have stopped there ). I removed the hard cloth wheel and installed a fluffy wheel on the grinder and used a green polishing stick and buffed the carrier to a mirrow shine, it looks like a freshly chromed bumper.  I made it look too shiny i think, too much bling bling i think, i guess my polishing skills are better than i thought. I will post a picture of it later. McM
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After reading this thread this mourning i decided to do mine to a carrier that i'm building a pistol with. the carrier is off a romanian kit and it was deep rich blued, what i did was remove the finish with the wire wheel on the bench grinder, It removed it all and gave a fresh steel look to it. I then removed the wire wheel and put on a hard cloth polishing wheel on my bench grinder and used A black polishing stick for compound, that brought it to a real nice sheen (i should have stopped there ). I removed the hard cloth wheel and installed a fluffy wheel on the grinder and used a green polishing stick and buffed the carrier to a mirrow shine, it looks like a freshly chromed bumper.  I made it look too shiny i think, too much bling bling i think, i guess my polishing skills are better than i thought. I will post a picture of it later. McM

MCM, haha BTDT!  Yep takes a bit of practise, but you are on the right track with the buffing wheels.

I like to start out with Brownels polish-o-ray 140, then move to the finer grits, down to rouge.  I like a smoothe satiny finish, but not shiny.  Hey if you got it too shiny you can always "frost it" with some light beab blasting or knock the edge off with some clover compound set on an old cloth wheel.  careful with the bead blasted finish as she will rust fairly easy.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Here are a few pics to give you guys an idea. My camera is one of the first digital camera's ever made and it sucks!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/368318.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/368316.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/368319.JPG
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Here are a few pics to give you guys an idea. My camera is one of the first digital camera's ever made and it sucks!

www.hunt101.com/img/368318.JPG

www.hunt101.com/img/368316.JPG

www.hunt101.com/img/368319.JPG

Damn that's got some bling! You should polish your trigger to match.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/368318.JPG</a>

www.hunt101.com/img/368316.JPG</a>

www.hunt101.com/img/368319.JPG</a>

Damn that's got some bling! You should polish your trigger to match.

oh no, dont get carried away.

Great looking wood furniture, shawn.  

(that just didnt look right. _)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/368318.JPG</a>

www.hunt101.com/img/368316.JPG</a>

www.hunt101.com/img/368319.JPG</a>

Damn that's got some bling! You should polish your trigger to match. hr

oh no, dont get carried away. hawn.
(that just didnt look right. _hr

thanks for the compliments, the furniture is ironwood designs, compared to the old worn black bolt carrier, this looks 10x better polished.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
That polished bolt looks great! I have a WASR with a Parkerized bolt. What's the best way to make it bright and shiney?
Thanks
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top