Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 1:42:39 PM EDT
My SSR-85C has a wobbly upper hand guard (not much) and I'd like to fix that. It's nothing major but I'd like to make it fit so it doesn't wiggle at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:09:12 PM EDT
I have the same AK and its one of the problems mine had.

If the wood is loose you might be missing the c bracket. Mine was.
It is located in the center of the handguard.
I got a new one from K-Var, I think it was around $3.

If your entire gas tube is loose, (mine was) here is what you can do.

I applyed a very small amount of JB weld on the inside of the gas tube,
I put it on the inside where the tube connects to the gas block (in the front).
Let it dry and then sand/trim the Jb weld untill you get a good tight fit.

I checked this "repair" after 200 rounds and some of the JB weld was gone.
But what was left has lasted over 400 more rounds and is still there.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:17:08 PM EDT
If the whole gas tube wiggles a bit I would 'nt even worry about it . If it is just the wood then there is a problem with the fit, I have a Norinco 56s that has a slight wiggle in the gas tube , No big deal its an AK.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
My M70 does this. Put the tube end that goes to the gas port side in a vise and very gently put a little squeeze on it. Just the last 1/8" or so that slides on the gas port. Solved my wiggle. Now be very gentle and try it out as you go. Don't crank down on it and deform it, just a wee bit of a squeeze is all it takes to tighten her up, and we all like her tight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:07:04 AM EDT
It's actually just the upper handguard not the gas tube. It's got the black poly furniture (is this stuff from K-VAR?) and nothing looks to be out of place/bent/broken/missing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:44:26 AM EDT
My Yugo has a loose upper handguard, not gas tube. All necessary parts are in place and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. You could obviously "rig" something, should you choose too or try bending/replacing the c bracket as yours could be damaged. Your handguard could be out of spec and replacement may be in order. Personally, every AK I have ever owned has become looser than my ex girlfriend with time, so I don't worry about it. AK's are my worry free abuse guns. Its slightly annoying, but don't loose perspective. Typically, AK's aren't going to have the fit/finish of an AR or HK. That being said, I doubt I fill attempt to fix mine....after all, bump firing it until it burns my hands is just going to cause it or something else to loosen up anyways.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 2:44:31 PM EDT by M4C]

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
....after all, bump firing it until it burns my hands is just going to cause it or something else to loosen up anyways.....

Ain't that the truth!

Hell, last time I tried it I think I dropped my drawers...

My Vector also has had a "slightly" loose upper HG and the tube rattles a little. SO did my Norinco when I had it.
Conclusion? This is characteristic of the AK design (at least when worn a little), so don't worry about it!

I just remembered a little "fix" I did...
If the whole gas tube assembly rattles, try snugging-up the gas tube disassembly lever to the trunion. The lever on mine was loose when in locked position - therefore would not hold the tube tight (I thought).
I took a mallet and hit the lever a couple times to bend it toward the inside. Now the lever is much tighter when locking down and I found that it keeps the tube tighter in place also.

Hope That Helps!
Top Top