Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
Just wondering, I'm guessing a little is normal. I have one SKS (1965) that has no movement once locked in, and the other SKS (1983) moves about 1/16th either way. One of my AKs doesn't have any wobble, and the other again moves 1/16th or so.
I can't see it causing any problems, but like I said am just wondering if it is normal.
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:47:30 PM EDT
my yugo has a slight bit of play and causes no problems
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:14:04 PM EDT
None is acceptable to me. Its one of my biggest gripes with AK's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 1:26:39 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 2:01:19 PM EDT by mobius]
a little play in the AK gas tube is not going to cause it not to function, or have issues, some AKs have that play and some don't........but if it bothers you to have a loose gas tube, you can always tighten it up by installing a spring spacer on the back of it. my bulgarian 74 kit came with one, all it really is, is a slighty bent flat piece of metal that goes between the back of the gas tube and the rear sight block, and takes up the slack between it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:12:25 PM EDT
I believe they're supposed to have some play .... Campybob said so I think, a couple of years ago ...

I may be wrong and I will probably get flamed .......................

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT
I can't see that it would hurt anything, since the tube is rotating around the piston and staying centered, I was just wondering if it was a common thing or not. I don't think I'll bother with it, it's such a small distance it aint woth the effort.
I bet the AKs issued to combat units have the same think, I just never thought to look for that on the ones they showed us (or any one I handled in a gunshop for that matter)
Thanks for the replies guys
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:46:50 PM EDT
the bulgarian military parts kit I got......if you take that spring thingy out it is real loose. so maybe they didn't like it loose that is the reason they put it in
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:16:45 PM EDT
Now I remember ...... Accuracy !!!!! .... That's what came up in a discussion ... Leave the gas tube a little loose and you can shoot 1/2 MOA @ 200 Yds ...... LOL LOL LOL ...........

Seriously .... It can affect accuracy if the tube is too tight ...

Target shooters go to great lengths to make sure nothing touches the barrel ... Freefloat ... Glass bed the action ...

Look at the way an AK is made ... The gas tube, if tight, actually puts the barrel in a bind ....

I feel another Flame coming !!!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:49:07 PM EDT
On the Steyrs and Intracs that I've had, the tube was alway's tight, on a couple I even had to file a bit to make it easier to remove ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:08:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Apache659:
On the Steyrs and Intracs that I've had, the tube was alway's tight, on a couple I even had to file a bit to make it easier to remove ...

I have never seen a gas tube that is a little loose. None of my AKs are either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:59:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JaketheSnake:

Originally Posted By Apache659:

I have never seen a gas tube that is a little loose. None of my AKs are either.

I hope you didn't think that I filed the tubes to make them loose. What I meant was that I filed a couple of strokes on the angled part under the lever to make the lever easier to turn because they were so tight. I recently had one that rattled and I hit it with a tackweld to make it tighter ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:46:33 PM EDT
I was a little agressive fitting one for one of my AK's and now its got more play than my others. Never caused any problems. I clean that particular AK every 3000rds or so. It's my beater AK. Ak's are supposed to have play or rattle a little bit. I bet if you had a gas tube so loose that it could turn it 1/4 back and forth it wouldn't matter.
Top Top