Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:48:29 PM EDT
I just got an SAR-1 and figured I might as well build up a stash. I'm an AR guy and don't know much about 7.62x39. I just ordered 1k of HP ammo since it was cheaper. Does wolf perform decently against soft targets?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Hmmm, this topic has been covered before, here's some links to read:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=273383

~nb
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmmm, this topic has been covered before, here's some links to read:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=273383

~nb

5.56 relies on velocity for fragmentation, so the underpowered wolf is inadequate. I'm curious about the ballistically different 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got an SAR-1 and figured I might as well build up a stash. I'm an AR guy and don't know much about 7.62x39. I just ordered 1k of HP ammo since it was cheaper. Does wolf perform decently against soft targets?

Beats chuckin rocks.

HP doesn't expand worth a shit, but most rifles eat it just fine.  Wolf makes holes in squishy things, but they'll be 7.62mm wide throughout.  It won't bounce off if that's your question

Domestic softpoint hunting ammo makes nastier holes, but it's pretty damn expensive to buy a crapload of.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that Wolf ammo hurts really bad when you get hit by it.  I've even heard that it could kill ya!

DK

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It definitely has the ability to kill anything you blast it towards, yes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone; point taken. Is there a big difference between FMJ, HP, and SP ballistically?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone; point taken. Is there a big difference between FMJ, HP, and SP ballistically?

Not sure about SP, but not between HP and FMJ.

ETA- Forgot about the Yugoslav surplus.. You might take a look at some of that if you can find it.  It came in on strippers and in boxes, in sealed crates.  It's brass cased corrosive FMJ, but word on the street is it yaws earlier in tissue compared to the common russian stuff. Corrosive primers last longer in storage anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
30 rounds of any 7.62 will do the job on some shit on the fan blades.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The FMJ penatrates well, if your looking for expandability the softpoints seem to work well. Wolf makes 154 gr, SP which seem to expand OK.

The lead on their softpoint scrapes off easy with a knife. It would be like getting hit with a .357 mag. only 800 fps faster.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Stock up and rest easy.  She goes bang every time.  While I do have some Winchester and Lapua soft points, most of my 7.62X39 is Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Get it in the spam cans and you can store it and forget it until you need it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats chuckin rocks.

HP doesn't expand worth a shit, but most rifles eat it just fine.  Wolf makes holes in squishy things, but they'll be 7.62mm wide throughout.  It won't bounce off if that's your question

Domestic softpoint hunting ammo makes nastier holes, but it's pretty damn expensive to buy a crapload of.

+1

There are other types I'd rather have but I wouldn't sneeze at a case of Wolf if somethiung major went down like NOLA.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
wolf actually has a pretty decent airspace in the nose.  Should tumble in flesh pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have mostly HP and have shot into a wood stump.  I retrieved the bullets and they bent but did not expand.  I did hunt deer 2 years ago and took one with using HP.  I just did my normal 2 pull and it went down instantly.  That is proof that it does work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I understand, the Yugo stuff is M67 ball. Wolf has the same type large air space in it as M67. I once sliced a Wolf FMJ projectile and a Uly FMJ projectile. The Wolf had a much larger airspace than the Uly. I would bet the Wolf FMJ is pretty much identical to typical 7.62x39 military ball ammo.

What makes good SHTF ammo anyway? To me, it's ability to hold performance despite being stored for long periods of time is FAR mor important than terminal performance would be. I think for almost every circumstance, the terminal performance of the ammo in question will make little or no difference. It's about placement, and in the end, just plain hitting the guy. Even if you hit the guy in the foot, I'll bet he's not going to steal/rape/kill your whatever - he'll drop.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are fortunate enough to find some, Uly Hollow point has been mentioned by Dr. Roberts as having superior terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have shot many brands and I must say...YES.  It is good ammo.  I would also have to say that most of the brands out there are good also.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a bunch of South African that is SHTF ammo for my SKS's.  The SKS's are 3rd string behind the M4 and the Garand.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Wolf seems like it would be good for punching through cover I guess, since it doesn't expand. I keep hearing people talk about SHTF ammo, I my opinion, anything that goes bang should be good enough. If you get shot with a 7.62x29 you'll probably be dead since hospitals wont be functioning.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
In my experience firing about 2000 rounds of WOLF JHP through my SKS, I had very few FTFs or other problems. Anything that goes bang would be an asset in my book. I would rather have 1000 rounds of WOLF over 200 rounds of Hornady TAP ammo any day. During a SHTF situation I figure that once I make an example out of a couple MZBs, they will move on to greener pastures anyway. You still need to pratice failure drills with any rifle/ammo combination. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In my experience firing about 2000 rounds of WOLF JHP through my SKS, I had very few FTFs or other problems. Anything that goes bang would be an asset in my book. I would rather have 1000 rounds of WOLF over 200 rounds of Hornady TAP ammo any day. During a SHTF situation I figure that once I make an example out of a couple MZBs, they will move on to greener pastures anyway. You still need to pratice failure drills with any rifle/ammo combination. Just my .02.

What do you do when your gun has never failed on you after 2000+ rounds?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Smile and shoot more. On the failure drill aspect. Mix in a snap cap or a fired cartridge that has been crimped so that it will feed. Practice dumping the mag and cycling the bolt. I would hate to be standing there cussing my rifle in the middle of a gunfight. On the odd times that I do have a malfunction while shooting, I attempt to fix the problem as rapidly as possible and resume firing. I personally want to make it a reflex. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I like Wolf for SHTF!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Smile and shoot more. On the failure drill aspect. Mix in a snap cap or a fired cartridge that has been crimped so that it will feed. Practice dumping the mag and cycling the bolt. I would hate to be standing there cussing my rifle in the middle of a gunfight. On the odd times that I do have a malfunction while shooting, I attempt to fix the problem as rapidly as possible and resume firing. I personally want to make it a reflex. Just my .02.

And even if it doesn't feed, it will still teach you to clear a fail-to-feed (as opposed to a fail-to-fire).  Wolf is still inexpensive enough to be able to use for training, training, training.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like Wolf for SHTF!

www.picfury.com/e/guns406flashfrnt-1-th.gif

that a krebs "AK" in the middle there?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive seen x-rays of someone who got shot with a 7.62x39 round that neither expanded nor tumbled. It still dicked him up pretty bad. As for Wolf Ammo in general, it is absolutely reliable in AKs, in my experience. My AK (Romanian WASR) eats it with no problem, and accuracy isnt bad either. If you aim and fire at someone, they are going to hurt, a lot. Not as much as if you shot them with a 7.62x51 or a .50 BMG, but they will probably stop trying to piss you off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, its a Krebs KTR-03S in 5.45X39.  I'm a huge fan of Krebs' KTR series.  This one is my third (had VEPR and Saiga based 7.62 KTRs).  I sold those two but kept the 5.45 model as my 'go to' / trunk gun cause its so incredibly quick on follow up shots.

Kevin

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Wolf for SHTF!

www.picfury.com/e/guns406flashfrnt-1-th.gif</a>

that a krebs "AK" in the middle there?

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top