Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:09:01 PM EDT
I am using Rustoleum high heat bbq paint, I followed their recommendation of curing 2 hours @ 300 degrees only to have my rag turn black when I gave it a light oil rubbing. Will longer and hotter help?

Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I used Dupli-Color High heat ceramic paint on my build. I don’t know about Rustoleum but from my understanding it sounds like you may not have prepped the metal very well. The new finish needs something to stick to. I used a scotch bite pad to scuff up the finish then I hosed the parts down with brake cleaner and let them dry well before painting. Then I baked the parts at 400 for an hour and a half. For $5.00 I can’t complain.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Sign_Wolfman, I just degreased with brake cleaner so I guess I will strip it down and retry.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#3]
you cant use rustoleum no matter how good of a job you do it will come off with light oil

use krylon bbq at 400 for hour and 15 you will be much happier with the results
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Try Rustoleum textured enamel,  prep it good and bake at 350 for 4 hours.  Oil won't touch it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
+ 1 on the Krylon BBQ.  I have tried several "Rustoleum" products, they usually got gummy or wiped under oil.

One finish I did though with Rustoleum that came out sort of neat was thier "black" hammered finish.  It actually isnt black, it is more charcoal grey and closely resembles the finish on the PSO-1 scopes, very close.

I too would like to know what is the best coating I could lay down on a blaster without going the Dura coat, Alumahyde, gun kote route.

I am a cheap a$$ and also would like to pick it up locally as opposed to mail order.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
How does the Krylon paint hold up against a mild solvant like Hoppes#9?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
it holds upto most solvents
and small amounts of brake cleaner

ie if you clean your bore with brake cleaner its not gonna hurt the finish
if you hose down the side with brake cleaner and start rubbing it will start to come off
but so will almost every other finish including moly and gk
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the help, I will give krylon a try, it's too bad about the rustoleum because I really liked the color and texture of it.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
For me, the ultimate test of any spray on finish is Gunscrubber or acetone.  If neither of those two will soften the paint, it's a good finish.  Not many hardware store paints will pass this test.

The alternate and not as stringent test is to take a cotton ball  soaked in whatever your usual bore cleaner is and wrap the wet ball around the finish.  Leave overnight and check the paint.

BTW--AlumaHyde II passes both tests.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top