Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
Hey guys how hard is it to install a ACE Folding Stock on a milled receiver , and what are the steps I take to do it?   I could save 75 bucks plus shipping doing it myself , but I dont mind spending the money or anything but  just was wanting to know how I can do this.  

So all I have to do is cut the lower tang and grind it down so it is flush with the receiver , then what?    

Thanks guys for the help.

*UPDATE*

Wow it got here fast!  So I got it in the mail , opened it up and took out the parts and took a look at the papers for a while.  I got the AK out and took it apart and took off the stock , and man was that stock on there!  I took a dremel and first cut the lower tang and ground it down flush , then cut the upper tang and grounded it just right so as to fit the block.  Boy I was a little scared to cut on my rifle like this.

But hey I did good I think , so here are the photos of it installed.  Sorry about the pics some did not come out right.

Hate my camera ,

I swiched side with the stock , so that it folds to the left. Testing it out.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Im going to bumb this.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut off the lower tang with a dremel or drill out the rivets and take it off in one piece so it can be replaced later. It just bolts in the receiver and the upper tang is screwed into the block. It's a simple thing, no need to go and pay someone to do it ...

P.S. The one in your picture is for a "cut-the-tang" type for a stamped receiver, the milled will have a 1 1/2 inch block sticking out ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks man!

I can all ways get good help here on the dark side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Apache659 , what about the Milled / internal version?  On this website it shows milled / universal or Milled / internal .  

www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=395

Would the Milled / internal version not have the block sticking out?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is all of ACE's adapters:www.aceltdusa.com/adapters.htm
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I just installed an Ace stock on my Arsenal SM-7 Carbine and it was very easy. For the milled Arsenal there are two tangs, and both need to be cut. Ace has a new internal receiver block that was not shown on their website (at least as of last week). It is a very slick little block that is perfectly contoured to fit the inside of the receiver once the tangs are removed. In fact it fits so snugly that I thought I might have to remove some material from it until I jiggled it a little more and then it slipped right in. With the Arsenal carbine there is a trapezoidal projection at the base of the top tang which has a corresponding shape in the internal receiver block. When cutting this tang with a hacksaw or Dremel just dont cut too close to the projection- line it up and then hand file it a little at a time until it fits.
I was hesitant to take a hacksaw to my new rifle but like I said, it was very easy and the result is very satisfying.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just installed an Ace stock on my Arsenal SM-7 Carbine and it was very easy. For the milled Arsenal there are two tangs, and both need to be cut. Ace has a new internal receiver block that was not shown on their website (at least as of last week). It is a very slick little block that is perfectly contoured to fit the inside of the receiver once the tangs are removed. In fact it fits so snugly that I thought I might have to remove some material from it until I jiggled it a little more and then it slipped right in. With the Arsenal carbine there is a trapezoidal projection at the base of the top tang which has a corresponding shape in the internal receiver block. When cutting this tang with a hacksaw or Dremel just dont cut too close to the projection- line it up and then hand file it a little at a time until it fits.
I was hesitant to take a hacksaw to my new rifle but like I said, it was very easy and the result is very satisfying.
Jim

Tell me more of this new adapter ... Got pics ???
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jim

Sweet! Thanks for that.

Hey this it right? www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=470

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
That's it and it's the first time I've seen one. I'll be ordering that soon ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
ht  MV out!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Except I just bought the other one last week.    MV out!

I feel we were denied vital need to know information ...

Guess we have a new project ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except I just bought the other one last week.    MV out!

I feel we were denied vital need to know information ...

Guess we have a new project ...

Count me in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered a new SA M-5 .223 and all the parts, including the meprolight sights.  Now I am looking for a second job.  MV out!

htlift.gif
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, that's the one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a SA M5 that I would like to install that in but I don't see how it installs.  Do you have to drill a hole on each side of the reciever so the screws on each side of the ACE block can secure the block?  Sounds a little scarry!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It bolts through the center, the screw holes on the sides are for sling swivels ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Apache659 I put an order in for the stock kit with the Milled / internal block , from that website
www.blackjackbuffers.com/ . I'll update when it gets here and post some pics of befor and after when I get the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool, my brother MontanaVet has an order in for another SA M-5S and all the goodies so I'll be doing his unless I get mine first. This is cool because I was about to chop down one of the full size blocks to see if I could make one of these. I was going to do it this weekend, LOL. I'm glad we all got into this discussion, it saved me from some unnecessary trial and error ...

Now if I could just sell my Kobra to fund a real Galil stock to mate to the block I'd be happy ...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump pics at top.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump pics at top.

Opps! it posted two times.  website going crazy.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey guys how hard is it to install a ACE Folding Stock on a milled receiver , and what are the steps I take to do it?   I could save 75 bucks plus shipping doing it myself , but I dont mind spending the money or anything but  just was wanting to know how I can do this.  

So all I have to do is cut the lower tang and grind it down so it is flush with the receiver , then what?    

Thanks guys for the help.

*UPDATE*

Wow it got here fast!  So I got it in the mail , opened it up and took out the parts and took a look at the papers for a while.  I got the AK out and took it apart and took off the stock , and man was that stock on there!  I took a dremel and first cut the lower tang and ground it down flush , then cut the upper tang and grounded it just right so as to fit the block.  Boy I was a little scared to cut on my rifle like this.

But hey I did good I think , so here are the photos of it installed.  Sorry about the pics some did not come out right.

photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace.JPG
photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace2.JPG
photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace3.JPG
photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace4.JPG
photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace5.JPG
photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/gift/websize/myakwithace6.JPG

Hate my camera ,

I swiched side with the stock , so that it folds to the left. Testing it out.

Nice job, "Basket!"  Wow, that turned out nice.  I should hire you to do mine!  I think I want to get a side-folder for my Arsenal Carbine.  The ACE stock looks great!

Bud
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]
So all you had to do was remove both the upper and lower tangs?  What else was involved?

Bud
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, I don't understand completly what you need to do to install the folder. I own an SLR-101 so I'm pretty interested on it!
First you cut both tangs, I get that much. But afterwards what do you need to do to install the folder? How does the "receiver block" attach to the receiver?
And is the ACE folder rigid, in other words, can you bash something with it and it will not break? I just want something durable.

Thx!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't have a milled AK receiver here....Are you guys hacking off parts of you receiver to install a stock or just a trunnion?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet ...
I have to wait a week or so to do mine ...

Ok, I don't understand completly what you need to do to install the folder. I own an SLR-101 so I'm pretty interested on it!
First you cut both tangs, I get that much. But afterwards what do you need to do to install the folder? Allen wrenches How does the "receiver block" attach to the receiver? It has an allen head bolt through the center with washers and a nut inside the receiver.
And is the ACE folder rigid, in other words, can you bash something with it and it will not break? I just want something durable. ACE stocks are pretty solid from the factory, although I take all mine apart and replace the tubes with 6061 rods. The newer stocks use Delrin(space-age plastic) for the upper tube. I don't really like the folding mechanism.

I don't have a milled AK receiver here....Are you guys hacking off parts of you receiver to install a stock or just a trunnion? Drill out the rivets on the lower tang and cut off most of the upper tang(permanent modification)

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Apache, looks like installing the side folding stock is not all that hard, just cutting the tangs and thats it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks Apache, looks like installing the side folding stock is not all that hard, just cutting the tangs and thats it!

Your right!       On the internal receiver block there is a little notch , that your upper tang fits into. So Cut the lower tang , the grind the rest of it down nice and flat. But on the upper tang just leave a little bit to fit into the block.

Here is a crapy pic for you.

This is not the  internal receiver block , but it has the same screw and washers that hold in the  internal receiver block.

All you do is once you cut the lower tang and the made it flush with the receiver , and cut the upper tang but leaving a little bit as to fit in the notch in the block. Slide the block in and put the allen head bolt through , and slide on the washers inside then put the nut on.  Then get a wrench to hold the nut while you use an Allen wrench the tighten it.  The washers inside is what holds it in place.

There is no wiggle to my stock.  Thanks for the replys guys!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#32]
That looks awesome.  I'm need to put one on my SLR-101SG.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Want to move this back up.  Good information here that I think others would want to know about.

Regards,

Bud
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Does the ACE stock lock in the folded position?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
tag, interesting thread
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey basketcase , what is the length of your ACE folder (they offer three lengths)?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hey basketcase , what is the length of your ACE folder (they offer three lengths)?

Hi sorry for not seeing this , the stock is S (8.5).
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I LOVE the Ace stock I put on my AMD-65:

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top