Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/30/2010 12:05:05 PM EDT
Went to a gunshow, and was trying to determing good from bad. I looked for canted sights, and found some. What else to look for, and how to be sure?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 4:25:34 PM EDT by svtjohnnycobra]
canted sights are a common issue, canted gasblocks happen but not as common. a way to check canted gas blocks would either be by eyeing it down the barrel or pull the charging handle back slowly till the head of the piston clears the block and enters the gas tube, if it is canted you will feel it catch just slightly. do this with multiple guns and multiple times till you find the one that feels the best.

i wouldnt worry too much about mag wobble but i would look at the hack job that century did in the magwell, some are decent and some are terrible

also look for pitting in the bore

i cant think of anything else, im sure someone else will chime in with more

edit: check all of the serial numbers, all of the numbers on mine match other than the spring
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:29:09 AM EDT
When I'm looking for a AK at the gun show. I look for the most important thing...........price. If its cheap enough I over look the canted sights, poor wood, pitting, sloppy mag wells , trigger slap, sloppy muzzle brake threads, and so on. I figure if I buy it at a gun show, it has no warranty and no way to return it. So all I buy are cheap guns, that I expect to have some slight issue. When I want a nice AK, I order online and have it shipped to my FFL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 6:38:43 PM EDT by M4-AK]
Originally Posted By yellowrexsi:
When I'm looking for a AK at the gun show. I look for the most important thing...........price. If its cheap enough I over look the canted sights, poor wood, pitting, sloppy mag wells , trigger slap, sloppy muzzle brake threads, and so on. I figure if I buy it at a gun show, it has no warranty and no way to return it. So all I buy are cheap guns, that I expect to have some slight issue. When I want a nice AK, I order online and have it shipped to my FFL.

You make buying an AK sound like a crap shoot.

edit: You don't pick up your women in a bar like that too, do you?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:16:13 PM EDT
Bad WASRS usually can be found in bad parts of cities. They hang out with shady individuals, smoke dope, sell drugs, steal cars. The good WASR's go to church, help old ladies cross the street, stay in school and listen to their parents. So, you gotta find one of the good WASR's.
Hiohhhh!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:28:01 PM EDT
Check the sights if they are canted and check for mag wobble.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:43:43 AM EDT
Besides mag wobble, check mag "fit" with a few different types of mags if you can. You can then go one of two routes:

I purposely picked out a WASR with a very tight magazine well. Only about half of the steel mags I try will fit, even if they are the same type from the same lot.

The downside is you need to bring the rifle with you to buy mags. However, even with a loose magwell I would always "try before I buy" any mags that I was getting for a WASR.

The upside (for me anyway) is that my mags all lock in wobble free and rock solid with no mods to the magwell needed. I took it out three times, picked up a half dozen mags on each trip and now have 18 perfectly fitting steel magazines. I found a shop by me that has cases of milsurp mags. The guy was cool enough to let me sit in the back with my gun and pick through them.

This particular AK also had perfectly adjusted sights and a pretty good trigger. Good ones are out there.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:40:08 PM EDT
Some have a canted gas block, watch out for that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:59:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Originally Posted By yellowrexsi:

You make buying an AK sound like a crap shoot.

edit: You don't pick up your women in a bar like that too, do you?

I like the cheap, dirty, broke in ones.
I just don't take them home to mom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:20:48 AM EDT
A lot of the WASR's I've handled lately had a good amount of rust in different areas.
Top Top