Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:05:58 PM EST
How do you remove the upper guard from the gas tube? I don't want to bend/break anything.
It looks to me like the front retainer with the fluted extension is the one that should move, sliding over the fluted portion of the tube. Is this correct?
It seems to be frozen in place.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:11:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By onetuza:
How do you remove the upper guard from the gas tube? I don't want to bend/break anything.
It looks to me like the front retainer with the fluted extension is the one that should move, sliding over the fluted portion of the tube. Is this correct?
It seems to be frozen in place.
Hold the flat end with an adjustable wrench, and twist it off. If it's wood, be careful not to crack it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:14:36 PM EST
Flat end of what? Twist what? Can you be more specific for a newbie?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:22:46 PM EST

The gas tube has two flat sides, on the end closest to the receiver. Put a wrench on the flats, and use it to hold the tube as you twist upper hand guard off with your other hand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:24:16 PM EST

The extreme rear end of the gas tube has flat sides. That's the "flat end". You turn the upper hand guard 1/2 turn to free it from the flanges on the tube and pull it away from the tube until the retainer spring that's under the HG is free of the tube.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:11:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 1:14:34 PM EST by onetuza]
Got it! It was tight! There's a metal thingamabob inside the guard that I'll have to transfer as well.
Thanks. I love this forum.
Top Top