Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 5:10:23 PM EST
Do they use a gun or a press or something else? Is there a prefered method?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:09:31 PM EST
12ton+ press and Plinker's jig are the best I've seen. You'll need another jig to do the trigger guard, but akbuilder.com can set you up. Air tools are a bit too tough to control, and hydraulic squeezers are too cumbersome/pricey.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:37:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 6:38:24 PM EST by Quarterbore]
+1 on plinkers jig... I don't have mine yet but I have seen some rivets done with one and it absolutely does a fantastic job...

quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=235#235

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:28:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tec_Nine:
12ton+ press and Plinker's jig are the best I've seen. You'll need another jig to do the trigger guard, but akbuilder.com can set you up. Air tools are a bit too tough to control, and hydraulic squeezers are too cumbersome/pricey.

take care,
Tec

That address takes me to a construction website. Are you sure it is akbuilder.com?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 6:15:55 AM EST by Quarterbore]
www.ak-builder.com/ak/trigger_jig.htm

This is a jig you can build or skip....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:15:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By 00_buckshot:
Do they use a gun or a press or something else? Is there a prefered method?

I guess it would depend on the type of equipment and tools you have access to. Using a metal welding table in a maintenance shop, I laid the receiver on one side and used a pin punch through the top and set the rivets on the bottom. Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side. I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft. Worked great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:42:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By mp5a3sd:
Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side. I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft. Worked great.

I'm having trouble picturing this... can you post a picture of your modified c-clamp?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:17:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By mercurus:

Originally Posted By mp5a3sd:
Then I flipped the receiver over, moving it close to the edge of the table, and used a modified c-clamp to set the other side. I notched the head of the clamp to fit inside the receiver, and welded a short stud on the end to bear down on the rivet shaft. Worked great.

I'm having trouble picturing this... can you post a picture of your modified c-clamp?

Yes I can, glad to do it...I'll have to retrieve it from work, and I'll snap a couple and post it. Give me a day or two.
Top Top