Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2003 6:38:25 PM EDT
Folks, I have heard all kind of advice on how to sight in my new SAR-1's iron sights.  I have read all kinds of advice on the Internet, and still have not been able to get my front sight to budge.  This is the situation.  At 25 yards, this SAR-1 shoots more or less at the right elevation, but 2-3 inches to the right.  I have taken the advice to pound on the front sight with a 3/16" punch with a .22 caliber brass shell on the end so as to not hurt the front sight too much.  Below I have attempted to add pictures showing the left and right sides of my AK front sight.
As you can see in the pictures below, I have pounded the front sight so much that the brass from the .22 caliber case has come off on to the front sight:

http://www.boomspeed.com/rfdillon/Right_View.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/rfdillon/Left_View.jpg

As you see, I have pounded on both sides of the front sight, and after shooting ~70 rounds of Wolf FMJ, I am no closer to the center than when I began.  
I am honestly a little afraid to pound on the end of the barrel too much for fear of distorting the barrel or permanently damaging my gun.  I also have the little C clamp adjuster, but have heard to not use it until I get the front sight to budge a little bit.  I honestly don't understand even how to use the little c clamp adjuster.  I suppose one tightens it down on the front sight until it moves, but I haven't been able to do anything that results in my front sight moving. Does anyone have any other technique or suggestions as to how I can center my groups?

Thanks so much in advance, Richard Dillon
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say spray some wd-40 or clp break free on it and let it penetrate for a while and then try it. I just got my sar-1 a few days ago and havent been able to sight it in yet. I hope mine doesnt get stuck.good luck getting it sighted in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I failed to mention in my note that I had left it sit all night prior to my trip to the range with penetrating oil to give it a little help in coming loose.  It didn't help one bit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I used that cheap little C-clamp on mine. Tightened the screw and then POP!! and the sight moved. I say go for it, but use that empty .22 shell maybe to avoid marking the sight drum.

To use the clamp: Check that the hole is larger than the sight drum. Mine was almost too small but the drum did fit inside it. Set the hole over the right side of the sight and screw the clamp down tight on the left side. Keep tightening until you or the sight drum gives up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Folks, I hate to plead ignorance, but in the hopes of getting this gun sighted correctly I must ask if the sight drum is the round thing that I have been beating on that is pointed to in one of my pictures?  How is clamping onto that with the c clamp device going to make the sight move?  Does claping onto the round thing in the middle of the sight some how loosen it up?  Does it make a difference which end of the c clamp goes on which side of the sight?  Also, as it is shooting to the right, do I attempt to move the sight to the right (while looking down the muzzle end of the gun) or to the right while looking from the chamber end of the barrel?  Once again, I really appreciate your help and advice, please reply at your earliest convenience, Richard
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Aw heck Rich, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Let's start with this. When adjusting front sights for windage you move the sight in the direction you want to move the point of impact. When adjusting rear sights for windage you move the sight in the opposite direction you want to move the point of impact. Thus, you're rifle is hitting to the right so you want to move the front sight to the right.

And yes, the front sight drum is the round thing you've been beating on. The right side of the rifle is the right side as you are holding the gun as you would shoot it.

A C-clamp is a device that squeezes something as it is tightened. Now if you take a large, regular C-clamp and fit it to your front sight drum and tighten all that will happen is you squeeze both sides of the drum. Nothing happens. But add a 7/16" socket under the side of the clamp that stays stationary and then tighten the clamp screw the screw will still try to squeeze the drum as before but you have a spacer that allows the drum to move instead of bottoming out on the clamp pad.

Thus if you were to put the socket and stationary side of the clamp on the right side of your sight drum (remember, the socket needs to be big enough to fit over the drum) and the screw side of the clamp on the left side and tighten, then the sight will move to the right. If it isn't stuck in place. The little C-clamp style sight adjusting tool works on the same principle.

One advantage to using a larger C-clamp and socket is you can soak the drum in penatration oil and tighten the thing up as tight as you can. If it still won't move, leave the clamp on tight and wack the screw side clamp pad. The steady pressure and sudden impact should loosen the drum.

Did any of this make sense? Or was it clear as mud?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
this is the best info on sighting in an ak. www.ak-47.net  scroll down and on the left you will see sighting in. Buy yourself a sight tool. www.tapco.com
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
A little Gun Scrubber will take that brass right off.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top