Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 6:17:28 PM EDT
I just bought one of the welded Romanian stocks from FAC. They were out of the folders, so I figured I would try this. Now the questions I got are what type screws do I need for the buttstock and what area of weld do I need to take away? Do I need to heat it off with a torch or find someone with a dremel to remove some metal? Anyone got pictures of what I need to do to make it work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The screws for mounting are 5mm which you can pick up at places like ACE hardware.

To make it foldable,  disassemble the mechanism by removing all pins including the pivot pin, the spring. and the button.  That leaves the folding stock and the receiver block that are welded together.  Place it on your workbench with the block section slightly raised off the bench on a piece of wood. Smack the weld with a hammer and the weld should break.  Clean the old weld off with a dremel and reassemble the folding stock.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Glad to see it looks easier than I thought! Looks like two pins I have to take out? Or is there more...
Update question-I removed the pivot pin, a cross pin, the spring, but when I push the button forward it stopps at the front of the block and doesn't seem to come out any further. Is that good enough or does it need to be totally removed before the smacking?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT...kinda stuck for a bit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks! Glad to see it looks easier than I thought! Looks like two pins I have to take out? Or is there more...
Update question-I removed the pivot pin, a cross pin, the spring, but when I push the button forward it stopps at the front of the block and doesn't seem to come out any further. Is that good enough or does it need to be totally removed before the smacking?

the push button, when pin is removed and small pin holding the spring, should come out freeley.

use a little force and punch it out.

then use a roto zip and grind of excess metal..

its one of the easier projects i've done.

bad part is i have a crappy old dark brown stock on my sar now till sunset comes. nothing matches... but thats ok. gives me time to refinish the folder and finish the project.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you. I got the stock off and the weld broken. Now I just need to get it cleaned out. One thing though is that the push button to release the stock doens't come out until after the stock is seperated from what I found, since it comes out the back.
Thanks again for the timely help!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top