User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/17/2006 5:45:33 AM EDT
???

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a good question.  Twist it.  It will come right off.  Be gentle as not to crack it.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is real tight and wont budge.  Place the gas tube in a vise upside down and tap on the metal spring that is under the wood lightly.  It should rotate and pop right out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Put a crescent wrench on the flat part of the has tube (where it contacts the trunion) and twist it while you hold the wood.  Go back and worth gently to work it loose and then give a it a good twist 180 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the adjustable wrench on the gas tube method. It works and isn't difficult.

It's just that most of us are not used to things being simple. We figure that there has to a special trick, when with the AK that's not normal: look at the most simple method and it usually is the correct method. Remember, these were designed to be simple and *not* take all sorts of special tooling.

Terry in NC
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I wish I had a dime for every time this question gets asked.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a vice? Put the squqre end in the vice and lightly tighten it. hold the gas tube in the left hand while pushing downin to the vice to make shure the squared off endd does not slip out. Grip the wood and twist. It should turn. You can oil the wood around the sheet metal flanges too. It may be glued by heat to the sheet steel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Put it in the freezer over night, it works, I read it here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My wife would love to find 8 handguard/gas tubes in the freezer. She would go from to making me go from to .

Thanks for the help guys.

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Man, I wish I had a dime for every time this question gets asked.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife would love to find 8 handguard/gas tubes in the freezer. She would go from to making me go from to .

Thanks for the help guys.

S.O.

That's actually what we did to get the wood off my wifes kit but we only froze it for an hour, worked like a charm.
It's good to have a wife that's into guns
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top