Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:58:00 PM EDT
Did Russia (and Romania) originally completely heat treat the AKM receiver or just the 3 pin holes and the ejector?

Ben
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:14:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:54:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 7:55:17 PM EDT by Robotizing]

Originally Posted By Templar:
They were completely heat treated.

No country just heat treated the pin holes and ejector, which is why I'm still leary of most of the US receivers.

If Russia, Poland, Bulgaria, East Germany, Hungary, Romania, Egypt, Yugoslavia, China, North Korea, Cuba, etc. thougth that they could get away with not heat treating the receiver..........

They would have left it unheat treated.

+1, Commies love to cut corners.

EDIT: Cuba made their own AK's? I didnt know that
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:25:50 PM EDT
I think Harlan/DCI is doing the whole receiver on the RPK ....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 11:39:23 PM EDT by mobius]

No country just heat treated the pin holes and ejector, which is why I'm still leary of most of the US receivers.

well lets see.........in the 5 years that OOW has been making receivers, I have never heard or read on any gunboard of one of their receivers failing due to the whole receiver not being heat treated, now you would think that after 5 years and hundreds of people building on those that post on gun boards, and shooting countelss of rounds, you would expect to see one post about someones AK failing about that issue .........but have you?

I have 3 kits built on OOW receivers, and all of them are the same as when I first got them from the smith, and I put plenty of rounds down range with all of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:47:41 AM EDT

They were completely heat treated.

If Russia, Poland, Bulgaria, East Germany, Hungary, Romania, Egypt, Yugoslavia, China, North Korea, Cuba, etc. thougth that they could get away with not heat treating the receiver..........

I agree.

It's either made right (to original specs) or made wrong.
Aren't the OOW receivers 1000 series steel? If the commies thought they could get away with crappy sheet metal...........

They would have used 1000 series sheet metal.

Just because a bunch of soft-as-butter receivers still seem to work OK doesn't mean it's the right way to have an AK built.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:51:05 AM EDT
Ok, so what about the ewbanks and global? Arent they fully heat treated?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:01:54 AM EDT
I'm thinking GT receivers are fully HT'ed
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:41:04 AM EDT
Joeken CLAIMS their receiver is fully heat treated, but they don't provide proof. Anyone who trusts joeken is a fool! I do remember reading on a gunsmith board that Armoury receivers are fully heat treated, but again, no one offers any proof. There is a gunsmith that offers heat treating of ak receivers for $35, don't remember his name.
I agree with the posters above that if the commies thought they could get away with sheet metal receivers and no heat treating the whole recr., then they would have done that. And I don't believe that firing a couple hundred rds thru an ak here in the usa is comparable to the commies methods of training, which included live firing in all their training sessions, and an official commie acceptance of 1-2% casualties from live firing. I guess they liked the realism of troops shooting each other(accidentally of course)

OJF
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
Not many full auto assault rifles have been built on them either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:22:20 AM EDT

I would think that in a factory setting, it would actually be easier to heat treat the receiver as a whole than just select spots.
Top Top