Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:54:50 PM EST
I want to take some live ammo, pull the tips and dump the powder to make some dummy rounds. Can I press out from the inside the primer, can it go off, or is there a way to ruin the primer with water or oil ? I just built an ak, my first one and I only have live ammo for it, and I want to cycle some through it but I dont want to use live ammo until I test fire it. All local stores dont have any snap caps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:59:41 PM EST
Get on the internet and buy some snap caps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:02:10 PM EST
Yeah I know I can do that, was just wondering about doing it myself for free.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:29:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 6:38:05 PM EST by silascobb]
Honestly, I'd look for some snap caps online if you have to.

It's one thing if you have a reloading press and tools to make a dummy round.

You could pull the bullet with a cheap plastic inertial bullet puller (using pliers is going to damage it).
You could probably also press out the primer from the inside given that you would ordinarily use a reloading press and a decapping pin to deprime even a live primer from the inside in essentially the same way.

Some people soak a primer in WD-40, but I think it takes a LONG time, and doesn't work half the time (i.e. doesn't deactivate the primer all the time).

Moreover, how are you going to reseat the bullet after you drain the powder? Sure you could try and push it back in with pliers or something, but then how do you know you've got it seated to the proper depth (OAL)?

Even if you are able to figure all that out, you still have a "dummy" round that looks a lot like the real thing. It'd be all too easy to end up mixing rounds and mistakenly treat live ammo as the "dummy" you made. A bad receipe.

Again, seems easier just to get some snap caps or plastic dummy rounds.

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:35:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By silascobb:
Honestly, I'd look for some snap caps online if you have to.

It's one thing if you have a reloading press and tools to make a dummy round.

You could pull the bullet with a cheap plastic inertial bullet puller (using pliers is going to damage it).
You could also probably press out the primer from the inside given that you would ordinarily use a reloading press and a decapping pin to deprime even a live primer.

Some people soak a primer in WD-40, but I think it takes a LONG time, and doesn't work half the time (i.e. doesn't deactivate the primer all the time).

Moreover, how are you going to reseat the bullet after you drain the powder? Sure you could try and push it back in with pliers or something, but then how do you know you've got it seated to the proper depth (OAL)?

Even if you are able to figure all that out, you still have a "dummy" round that looks a lot like the real thing. It'd be all too easy to end up mixing rounds and mistakenly treat live ammo as the "dummy" you made. A bad receipe.

Again, seems easier just to get some snap caps or plastic dummy rounds.

My $0.02.

Good point, will look online. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:36:09 PM EST
Get the molded orange plastic ones, they're cheap.
Cheap enough to get a dozen so you can test magazine feed and extraction.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:56:51 AM EST
Pull bullet.
At the range, chamber cartridge, squeeze trigger, firing cartridge.
Insert bullet into empty case.
Carefully tap bullet into case, making sure it is straight and checking overall length by comparing it to an unfired cartridge.

Never chamber a cartridge when you're off the range without examining the primer first.
If the primer is not dented, the cartridge is LIVE.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:59:56 AM EST
Yeah I just ordered some snap caps online, even searched for dummy rounds but everyone only sold snap caps, description said metal but pics showed clear blue ones. Pachymer I believe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mikegigabyte:
Yeah I just ordered some snap caps online, even searched for dummy rounds but everyone only sold snap caps, description said metal but pics showed clear blue ones. Pachymer I believe.

You made a wise choice.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:42:17 AM EST
I actually prefer the solid plastic ones or the A-Zoom brand (aluminum) to those clear plastic jobs.
The primer surface is under spring pressure and after a while they pop apart.

I also had a set in .357 that I used to keep loaded in my GP100 for dry firing and after it was put away for a while, they just disintegrated.
The one that was inline jammed up the lockwork and I had to force the cylinder out.
When I inspected the remaining five, they all had cracks and a couple of them were also falling apart.

I'm not sure what caused it but I suspect that lube or solvent residue might have attacked the plastic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:58:57 PM EST
im only using mine for function test, then to be put away until another build.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:08:13 AM EST

I saw them for as little as $5 online. With the labor you'd use, you may as well buy them.

Other option - take a spent cartridge press in a bullet = done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:30:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:

I saw them for as little as $5 online. With the labor you'd use, you may as well buy them.

Other option - take a spent cartridge press in a bullet = done.

would like to, never shot 7.62 so no cartridges laying around, and no bullets either. I will be saving some after I shoot it maybe to make some in the future.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:16:52 AM EST
I made my own 5.45mm dummies by pulling the bullet and powder, firing the primer, and replacing the bullet.

I had what I thought were feeding issues related to the magazine, but once I started testing with my dummy rounds I discovered the bolt was binding at its back end, but only when a round was attached to its face. The dummy rounds greatly helped the trouble-shooting.

After cycling them a few dozen times they stand out a mile away as my dummy rounds, barely any finish left, and the primer is dented from blasting it. I wasn't having any hammer/firing pin issues so I didn't really have to worry about the primer/striker indication or anything.

But yeah, get snaps caps: rubber primer, different color, all that. For other calibers I have actual snap caps, I just couldn't find any in 5.45 and it only took me a couple minutes to make a handful.
Top Top