Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 5:03:08 AM EDT
Would it be possible/ legal for me to import a stockset or two for personal use? I'm looking at the Plum RPK stocksets that seem to be unavailable here in the US. A sidefolding version would be even better. Would I have to get BATF approval?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Troy of In Range huh? I'll have to give him a call this morning. KVAR is out. Well, their website says they are out and so does the lady that answers the phone, but the guy with the accent admitted that he had some but wouldn't sell the unless I spent about $900 putting together a RPK74 kit from him. LOL I bought almost all the RPK74 parts I needed including the barrel assembly off their website and it only ran like $450 +/-, so he basically wanted $450 for the plum stockset.....I went and looked in the mirror, yep SUCKER is not written there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats why I started to think maybe I should look into getting a couple sets imported, but I didn't really know where to start other than asking about it here. Did only Russian make these?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm Great Idea KF, I fired off an email to a guy in Germany that may just be the man for the job.
Thanks for the help. Too bad KVAR does make some here in the US, they'd clean up from us RPK-freaks. .
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
There were a couple of companies on Ebay offering products directly from the Russian factories. This was before the new ebay policy. Might be able to search back and contact them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Without a license I think the most you can import is $100 of value.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it would be worth the licencse. Lots of guys would like stuff like this.
That ebay company is still on there, AKstore-net, I sent an email to them.
Why do I have to have wine and caviar tastes?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, sadly the Russian stock sets that do make it into country are "grey market" imports.

They are not officially imported, as the ATF would disapprove an import permit for "AK stock sets" from Russia. They are a component part of a firearm not covered by the US/Russian arms agreement. . You might have some luck with calling them "Saiga" stock sets. They make it in thru using some very wide stretching of the $100 import rule. I know one guy was able to import some stock sets legally  on a Form 6, but eventually the ATF told him no more.

They are not officially exported either. While they do clear Russian customs, it because of the "extra customs charges" and not because its 100% ok. The Russians are forced to honor the US/Russian arms agreement. Other items are considered dual use. Izhmash sells the parts are Saiga spares, while in fact they are original Soviet military AK parts.

I have talked to Andrei, and the man behind him. Both have said they cannot get any RPK stuff. Molot doesnt sell spare parts (they tried) like Izhmash does, and there are none in the Army depots they buy from.

If they were 100% legitimately imported and exported, wouldnt some big company like K-var or someone be selling stock sets by the container full? The stuff is over there, the Russian military still sits on large numbers. The Russians are willing to deal, but as one European gunbroker told me "only by the thousands"

The K-var stock sets are Russian via Bulgaria.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top