Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Russian
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/12/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
I have been thinking about a JLD PTR however a Vepr K in 7.62x39 with some TLC would be nice too. My only problem is I do want a .308 (with mags that are not $40 a piece). What say you? VeprK in 7.62X39 or JLD PTR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:05:08 PM EDT
Me and biggrstick went throught this with SEVERAL rifles fverses the VEPR. Theres a few things we looked at in the long run. heres what we did
#of mags you want for the rifle.
Price of scope
Price of rifle.
VEPR 550.00
MAGS 5@40.00= 200.00
Scope POSP 8-42 pro. 189.00
Grand total 939.00

If the sum of the rifle mags are less than this then your a winner. But most .308s are more than this without any goodies well......But that my broke outlook on the whole thing!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:11:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
I have been thinking about a JLD PTR however a Vepr K in 7.62x39 with some TLC would be nice too. My only problem is I do want a .308 (with mags that are not $40 a piece). What say you? VeprK in 7.62X39 or JLD PTR.

It's hard to keep a straight face trying to answer that question in the "AK-47_Russian" forum on "AK47.net".

I don't have any personal experience with the PTR but they get very good reviews and the 20 round mags are robust, cheap and plentiful. I'm not sure what you mean by the .308 with $40 mags? The mags for the PTR are like $7 apiece. You will spend a bit more for the PTR. You are really doing the apples/oranges thing on this one. TLC for the VEPR? What kind of TLC? They are fine right out of the box.

I say get both.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:26:42 PM EDT
I've read good reviews on the PTR but I have'nt had the opprotunity to look at one closely,I located a Portuguese G3 reciever and an FMP kit,sent the parts to Big 50 out in AZ for the build.They're tough rifles and you can find like new mags for 2.00 each.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:40:04 PM EDT
As stated above, me and 762boddydropper decided to go with .308 VEPRs. That said, the PTR looks very appealing with Tapco selling HK 20rd. mags at 50 for $50. I have a VEPR in 7.62x39 and love it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thekatar:

It's hard to keep a straight face trying to answer that question in the "AK-47_Russian" forum on "AK47.net".

I don't have any personal experience with the PTR but they get very good reviews and the 20 round mags are robust, cheap and plentiful. I'm not sure what you mean by the .308 with $40 mags? The mags for the PTR are like $7 apiece. You will spend a bit more for the PTR. You are really doing the apples/oranges thing on this one. TLC for the VEPR? What kind of TLC? They are fine right out of the box.

I say get both.

Hes referring to the VEPR mags. They are 40 bucks a piece.
Its kind of a trade off.......Pay alot for the gun wiht inexpensive mags. Por pay a little for the gun with the expensive mags.......That sound skinda funny. I guess they are gonna get you one way or another. Up front or in the accesories your gonna pay up for it. But I think the VEPR is deffinately the most cost effective DMR you will find. And if someone would do one of 2 things to it, 1 make some us made hi cap mags that arent $40 a pop. Or Do a conversion to a more econimical magazine. Krebs said that the M 14 mags are just not uniform enough to do a reliable conversion and the g3 mags are too wide to do the conversion. I noticed the NHM 91 mags look alot like the VEPR mags. Anyone have any ideas Or own an NHM 91. WHo do the mags run and where can I get one?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:27:05 PM EDT

I know I did it on purpose which is where the title of the thread came in. LOL Its like going to the SIG forums and asking if SIGs are better than HKs and then doing the same thing in the HK forum. LOL

I have been looking at the Vepr .308 for a while also. The robinson web page said they had problems with the scope mount staying zerod but I could not tell if they were talking about the mount rivited on the side or the fancy mount that they sell that in my opinion has to many moving parts on it. I can not see why the Russian scopes will stay zerod on a 7.62x54 Drag and not a .308 Vepr. I think Robinson will sell Veprs in .308 that are modified for 20rd M-14 mags for something like $750-$800 it is like $150 more than the rifle. I do not mind the 10rd as much as I do $40 a mag. I saw PTRs on the Atlantic Fire Arms page for High $700s and thought it might not be a bad deal. I realy want some kind of .308 and I do not ever see spending $1500 and higher on it or I would get the SA White Feather edition of their M1A.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2005 7:37:57 PM EDT by GotGuns]
<----Waiting for the "get both" posters....

Edit to add that I suppose I should have read TheKatar's whole post.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:18:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GotGuns:
<----Waiting for the "get both" posters....

Edit to add that I suppose I should have read TheKatar's whole post.

I wish I could get both and may but not at the same time. LOL
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:38:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
[ I noticed the NHM 91 mags look alot like the VEPR mags. Anyone have any ideas Or own an NHM 91. WHo do the mags run and where can I get one?

You mean NDM. I wonder if .308 PSL mags could be made to work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:31:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 2:15:13 PM EDT by Thekatar]
Here's a thought:

Keep your eyes open for a DSA SA 58 FAL clone on the EE. I picked up my 16" for $800 IIRC.

My DSA SA 58 Carbine
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:53:52 PM EDT
How about a converted SAIGA in .308?

EE -->www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=314411
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:25:21 PM EDT
So which one did you decide to get?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:50:43 PM EDT
Well I was looking at Robinsons web page today and they still have the KTRs listed. I thought Krebs was not doing them any more but maybe Robinsons is. I have thought about a .308 KTR with the M-14 mag conversion. It would have the reliability of the FAL with better accuracy I think but I do not know if it is even possible to do that still. I decided that I will break my rule possibly just this one time and Grrrrrrrrrrr borrow for a decent rifle. Why not. I do not have boats or motor cycles or a $40,000 truck. Just once for one rifle. If they made the M-96 in a .308 it would be it hands down. The other rifles are still in the mix though. It will be a month or two before I will do it any way but I read and research as much as possible before I buy. I did not want the Vepr because I already have two and other AKs but the KTR would be great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:23:00 AM EDT

Well I was looking at Robinsons web page today and they still have the KTRs listed. I thought Krebs was not doing them any more but maybe Robinsons is. I have thought about a .308 KTR with the M-14 mag conversion. It would have the reliability of the FAL with better accuracy I think but I do not know if it is even possible to do that still. I decided that I will break my rule possibly just this one time and Grrrrrrrrrrr borrow for a decent rifle. Why not. I do not have boats or motor cycles or a $40,000 truck. Just once for one rifle. If they made the M-96 in a .308 it would be it hands down. The other rifles are still in the mix though. It will be a month or two before I will do it any way but I read and research as much as possible before I buy. I did not want the Vepr because I already have two and other AKs but the KTR would be great.

If you're looking for advice, I would think long and hard about getting that .308 KTR if it exists. If you can get your hands on one it is going to cost you $1300 - $1500 easily. For what? A glorified AK. That takes M-14 magazines.

Why not buy an M1A?

The M-96 has a mixed reputation and it seems like Rob Arm is basically dropping this line in favor of their XCR. There MAY be a future version of that rifle in .308 but the current version still needs to come out.

It would have the reliability of the FAL with better accuracy

I think your average FAL is going to be just as accurate as your 7.62 NATO KTR. Magazines are cheap and plentiful and it's a proven platform in .308.

For the scratch you are talking about spending I think you should get either:

DSA SA58
Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A

The rumor is also that in 2007 or 2008 FN will be releasing it's civilian SCAR (ARM) so it sounds like what you really want is an ARM-H in 7.62x51mm.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:10:36 AM EDT
The M-14 mag conversion is a no go. Krebs did do it a couple of times but there are too many differences in the M-14 mags. The problem they were having is, a customer would send them a rifle and a mag. They would do the conversion to fit that mag. Then when the customer tried mags from different manufacturers they would not work with the rifle. Now I dont know alot about M-14s so I dont know how true this is but this is the answer you get if you call Krebs and ask them about it.Supposedly you can conver FAL mags to fit your vepr. This however is a MAG conversion and not a rifle conversion. But I have never seen it just saw the instructions on another board. And as far as a KTR03 in .308. I have also often dreamed of this monster. If they could do that with a mag conversion to legit mags that would be SSSSUUUWWWEEEEEETTT. But they cant do G3 mags either cause the mags are too wide. A couple of things me and biggerstick have been looking into are conversions to take NDM, Or PSL mags.
NDM mag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:03:52 AM EDT

The M-14 mag conversion is a no go. Krebs did do it a couple of times but there are too many differences in the M-14 mags. The problem they were having is, a customer would send them a rifle and a mag. They would do the conversion to fit that mag. Then when the customer tried mags from different manufacturers they would not work with the rifle. Now I dont know alot about M-14s so I dont know how true this is but this is the answer you get if you call Krebs and ask them about it.Supposedly you can conver FAL mags to fit your vepr. This however is a MAG conversion and not a rifle conversion. But I have never seen it just saw the instructions on another board. And as far as a KTR03 in .308. I have also often dreamed of this monster. If they could do that with a mag conversion to legit mags that would be SSSSUUUWWWEEEEEETTT. But they cant do G3 mags either cause the mags are too wide. A couple of things me and biggerstick have been looking into are conversions to take NDM, Or PSL mags.
NDM mag
tinypic.com/in4qyv.jpg

This is true of the M14 mags, I called them myself. They did tell me, however, that they had had very good success converting the .308 Vepr to take Galil mags. That may be the route I take on my .308 Vepr.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:18:22 AM EDT

If you're looking for advice, I would think long and hard about getting that .308 KTR if it exists. If you can get your hands on one it is going to cost you $1300 - $1500 easily. For what? A glorified AK. That takes M-14 magazines.

Why not buy an M1A?

The M-96 has a mixed reputation and it seems like Rob Arm is basically dropping this line in favor of their XCR. There MAY be a future version of that rifle in .308 but the current version still needs to come out.

It would have the reliability of the FAL with better accuracy

I think your average FAL is going to be just as accurate as your 7.62 NATO KTR. Magazines are cheap and plentiful and it's a proven platform in .308.

For the scratch you are talking about spending I think you should get either:

DSA SA58
Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A

The rumor is also that in 2007 or 2008 FN will be releasing it's civilian SCAR (ARM) so it sounds like what you really want is an ARM-H in 7.62x51mm.

Well my Veprs are more accurate than my FAL was even though I did love the rifle. If the Vepr M-14 mag conversions do not work then I probably would not Go KTR. The price was under $1200 that I saw.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:36:45 AM EDT

If the Vepr M-14 mag conversions do not work then I probably would not Go KTR. The price was under $1200 that I saw.

Genghis, I just IMed you with some info. Also, I just talked to Brian again at Kreb's, and he explained the M14 mag conversion problem in more detail. The VEPR can be converted to take M14 mags reliably. The problem was that M14 mags were so inconsistant that the conversion process was very time consuming. They had to convert it, go try it with one brand mag, then try another, and if it didn't sit high enough they would have to make another adjustment and so on. They would have to go back and forth several times to get it to take all mags. He did say all the rifle they put in the market will function with al MIL-SPEc M14 mags. Unfortunatley they no longer do the conversions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:12:23 AM EDT
I checked it out and it is a nice rifle but not realy what I was thinking of. I would love to have it though. I was thinking of a KTR that looked like one of the .223 or 7.62x39 ones with a little longer barrel but not that long. The one I saw was wood furniture and a mile long barrel. I was thinking 18" or so at the end of the muzzle. I am still thinking of a regular Vepr and having some stuff done to it my self. It may have some money into it when I am done but thats OK. However I may opt for a SA M1A or the PTR or a DSA FAL still also.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:18:15 PM EDT

I checked it out and it is a nice rifle but not realy what I was thinking of. I would love to have it though. I was thinking of a KTR that looked like one of the .223 or 7.62x39 ones with a little longer barrel but not that long. The one I saw was wood furniture and a mile long barrel.

Genghis, what rifle did you see? It sounds like a Super Vepr. I was under the impression that the KTR 03V 308 Kreb's had on consignment was based on a regular VEPR II (which does look like a VEPR 223/763x39 with a 20" brl.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:31:50 PM EDT

I checked it out and it is a nice rifle but not realy what I was thinking of. I would love to have it though. I was thinking of a KTR that looked like one of the .223 or 7.62x39 ones with a little longer barrel but not that long. The one I saw was wood furniture and a mile long barrel.

Was it this one?

It's beautiful and uses Galil mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:39:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Accountant30339:

Was it this one?

www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/10-17-05/countersniper.jpg

It's beautiful and uses Galil mags.

That's not the gun I told Genghis about. I think that is a production gun from Kreb's now, the one I was talking about was a VEPR (that one is just a VEPR receiver) and will be listedin the Consignment Corner, but has not beeen listed yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:53:14 PM EDT
Genghis, the gun they are going to list is a KTR just like the other KTRs except in 308. It also has an ACE Ltd. Side Folding Stock. Galil mag conversion. It should be listed soon. It has all the features of the other KTRs, front sight on gas block, picatinny rail dust cover with AR style rear sight, etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BiggerStick47:
Genghis, the gun they are going to list is a KTR just like the other KTRs except in 308. It also has an ACE Ltd. Side Folding Stock. Galil mag conversion. It should be listed soon. It has all the features of the other KTRs, front sight on gas block, picatinny rail dust cover with AR style rear sight, etc.

Price???
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:18:13 PM EDT

A couple of things me and biggerstick have been looking into are conversions to take NDM, Or PSL mags.
NDM mag
tinypic.com/in4qyv.jpg

OK 762, you're scarin me a little...

You guys are thinking about converting the rifle and/or mags which go for $70 apiece on the low end up to like $130 apiece on the other end...

I like your enthusiasm but you can just BUY a PSL or even a .308 NDM-86...

Have you considered a Galil?

I think I've lost track of the original intent of this thread...

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT

A couple of things me and biggerstick have been looking into are conversions to take NDM, Or PSL mags.
NDM mag
tinypic.com/in4qyv.jpg

You guys are thinking about converting the rifle and/or mags which go for $70 apiece on the low end up to like $130 apiece on the other end...

Personally, I wouldn't convert my rifle to any mag that costs more than $20. I would have loved a G3 or FAL conversion. I may end up with a Galil conversion, but no way on NDM mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT by BiggerStick47]

Price???

OK, I spoke to Brian at Krebs today and he told me they were about to put up a rifle on the Consignment Corner. It is a VEPR KTR03V in .308 (I have never seen the .308 version of the KTR). This rifle was converted to accept Galil mags. It also has an Ace side folder installed by Kreb's (along with whatever conversion it took to add the stock). The rifle comes with a Harris bipod, 2 - 20rd(or 25, I forgot) mags, and 3 12rd mags. Price is $1700. Brian said it was one of the nicest rifles they had turned out.

Accountant, I hope you end up buying it, and I can talk you into letting me shoot it.

ETA how long does it take for your Team membership to kick in? Me and 762 payed for the damn things last week.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT

NDM mag
tinypic.com/in4qyv.jpg

Ah I see. I didnt know how much those mags costed. How hard would it be to have some mags made? I am sure the people here would have no problem buying a few dozen up if someone could just make them!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:17:59 PM EDT

Ah I see. I didnt know how much those mags costed. How hard would it be to have some mags made? I am sure the people here would have no problem buying a few dozen up if someone could just make them!

Making a couple dozen mags would be way more expensive than just buying the VEPR mags. I think the best solution at this point is a Galil mag conversion. The 12rd mags are $20.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:46:52 PM EDT
Ok guys, I think I've found exactly what you want:

Valmet M78A2 308WIN Class III FULLY TRANSFERABLE

Only $11,995.00

Perfect!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:50:02 PM EDT

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976614235-1.jpg

Only $11,995.00

Perfect!

Thanks Katar, I just ordered three! Two for me and one for you for helping out!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:17:54 PM EDT
On a more serious note, this looks like a good deal:

DSA SA58 w/DSA Scope mount****$800FTF****

If you are not familiar with the FAL platform feel free to IM me - I think of it as the Western Kalashnikov.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:01:13 AM EDT

Price???

OK, I spoke to Brian at Krebs today and he told me they were about to put up a rifle on the Consignment Corner. It is a VEPR KTR03V in .308 (I have never seen the .308 version of the KTR). This rifle was converted to accept Galil mags. It also has an Ace side folder installed by Kreb's (along with whatever conversion it took to add the stock). The rifle comes with a Harris bipod, 2 - 20rd(or 25, I forgot) mags, and 3 12rd mags. Price is $1700. Brian said it was one of the nicest rifles they had turned out.

Accountant, I hope you end up buying it, and I can talk you into letting me shoot it.

ETA how long does it take for your Team membership to kick in? Me and 762 payed for the damn things last week.

1700! That is steep even for all of the work that Kreb's performs. I would have to take that out of the "happy switch slush fund" that I am hiding from the Mrs. Hmmm.......let me have a look at it first.

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:40:43 AM EDT

1700! That is steep even for all of the work that Kreb's performs. I would have to take that out of the "happy switch slush fund" that I am hiding from the Mrs. Hmmm.......let me have a look at it first.

Accountant

I agree it's too high for me, but look at the breakdown.

Harris Bipod - $75
Galil conversion $150
Galil mags - $300 (avg $120 fr 20 rd, and $20 for 12rd)
Ace side folder - $150
Kreb's conversion to take side folder - $50 (that's just a guess)
That leaves $975 for the rifle. The 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 KTRs were $1200 I think.The 308 KTR is much rarer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:13:26 AM EDT

images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976614235-1.jpg

Only $11,995.00

Perfect!

You guys dont already have some of these? I have one for the safe and one thats a daily shooter.
I would have no quams paying 1700 for that KTR03v if I had the money. That may very well be the only one in existence. I would like to see some pics of it. Accountant If you buy it I will buy it from you later Think of it as an investment...........
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 10:28:10 PM EDT by GenghisKhan]

Mmmmmm cool.

Whew I did not know Galil mags were that much money. CDDN had them I thought for alot less.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:29:03 AM EDT

Mmmmmm cool.

Whew I did not know Galil mags were that much money. CDDN had them I thought for alot less.

The mags at CDNN are 12 rd, and are $20. The 20 rd mags I've seen are $100-$140.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:05:02 AM EDT
Pricey.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
OK OK Since I am an AK snob according to some I have decided on the Vepr .308
Resaons why?
1. I decided on a different set up for my .308 and am going to set it up more like a drag.
2. The price of the rife compared to other .308s that I would consider quality. Yes I can get a Century arms rifle cheaper but I do not want one.
3. I am a Vepr AK biased snob hence the name of this forum. LOL
4. If it is not to pricy or if I can do it my self I will convert it to Galil mags since I can get 12rdrs for $20 a pop new and 12rd is about right for how I am setting up my rife and even the 10rds will work.

I will do a few mods to it like removing the front sight and adding a gas block ACE sight since I hate the newer front sights on the .308s I like the older longer triangle tyoed ones but the new ones I do not like. I will not pay over $700 though for the rifle itself or I will get a PTR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 7:49:18 PM EDT by Thekatar]
Head's up, fellas:

.308 KTR-03V

7.62x39mm KTR-03V

Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:56:46 AM EDT
Are the pics of the KTR .308 for real?
Is Krebs Custom offering these rifles?
431P
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:58:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 5:00:32 AM EDT by 762bodydropper]
Saw that thing yesterday. I did a little work on it in paint and made it look bettter But I think they should have left the handguards alone

431P

Yes IT is for real and thats the only one I have ever heard of. I am sure once that one is gone you'll be S.O.L. if you want one!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:04:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 43E1P:
431P

Kreb's is no longer doing KTRs with VEPR receivers. That rifle is a consignment rifle for a customer that they did alot of custom work for. Notice it takes hi-cap Galil mags. (Plus it's $1700)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:24:33 AM EDT

Head's up, fellas:

www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/12-29-05/ktr03v308.jpg

.308 KTR-03V

www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/12-29-05/ktr03v76239.jpg

7.62x39mm KTR-03V

Happy New Year!

Me likey.
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top