Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 5:54:37 AM EDT by default]
This is a hypothetical question, since my WASR is for me a range/plinking gun, and I don't foresee needing to carry it around loaded any time soon, but I am curious about how the safety works.

Is it safe to carry an AK "cocked and locked", that is, with a round chambered and the safety on? Is there anything that blocks the firing pin or movement of the hammer, or does the safety simply keep the trigger from being moved past a certain point, and block the full rearward movement of the bolt carrier?

From a casual inspection of the innards of my AK (I haven't gone further than field-stripping for cleaning/furniture installation so far), it does not appear that the safety does anything else than the two things mentioned above. However, I'm no gunsmith, and am not all that clever with machines to begin with, so there may be something obvious I'm missing. Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:40 AM EDT
All the safety does in an AK is hold the trigger, there is nothing to stop the hammer from moving except for the hook on the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:28:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 6:30:25 AM EDT by Jicky]
It's safe to carry locked and loaded..You're assessment is correct, thats about all you're safety does is block the trigger and keep the bolt carrier from rolling back...

Spelling edit..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:50:24 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies! So, if the hook on the trigger is holding the hammer, and the safety is holding the trigger, then it is more or less "drop-safe", assuming multiple parts don't fail simultaneously? Is the free-floating firing pin likely to touch off a chambered round if the weapon is dropped muzzle-down? Sorry for the barrage of follow-up questions, I just like the AK design and want to be an educated user.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:18:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By default:
Sorry for the barrage of follow-up questions, I just like the AK design and want to be an educated user.

Don't appologize. It's the stupid man that doesn't ask questions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
Most AK firing pins are free floating, but wouldn't it take one hell of a drop on the muzzle to make the firing pin strike the primer with enough force to discharge a round?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:39:22 AM EDT
great question! I never ever ever leave mine loaded cause I thought the safety doesn't block firing pin.... I leave safety off no round in chamber. I find that's the quickest way. I used to have the BHO safety lever and I'd keep it back, but I found that would let the bolt go forward if dropped hard enough, so I went back to the old way of nor ound in chamber, no safety.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:06:05 PM EDT
Thanks again for the replies. Not as drop-safe as a G17, more drop-safe than a Japanese Type 94.
Top Top