Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:28:54 PM EDT
Are ACE stocks the only ones available?  Thinking about doing this to one of my AKs.  Always wanted one.  What say you?

Bud
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
there should be some E.German or Romy side folders,..but the ace one is the only one that looks like that other than the shitty tapco one,....

i cant find it but ace does have a web site and gives directions,.. i know there is one model where you have to cut the tang,...but most should attach to a standard rear trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed an ACE stock, and don't really like it. I like the AMD65 sidefolders much better. They lock up tight, open or closed, and they are hell for sturdy. The ACE stock is very liteweight, seems to be made of mostly alum and plastic. and at $160 + for a complete assembly, way too expensive.
I won't buy another, or recommend them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What sort of process is required to change a non-folding stamped receiver over to a side folding Russian or Bulgarian side folder?

(These sidefolding kits are available from akstore.net , by the way)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What sort of process is required to change a non-folding stamped receiver over to a side folding Russian or Bulgarian side folder?

good know-how of AK building.

Chris Butler at AKUSA told me they charge around $375 for entire installation...

it takes some tools no doubt....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on wether or not the reciever has already got a fixed stock on it or not..

I just put on on a reciever that had the fixed stock..the two front rivets are about 1/8 of an inch too far to the back..can't tell it by looking.

I have also installed one on a virgin reciever..it was a little easier..

If you are mechanically inclined..give it a whirl
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you're thinking of putting on one of these

And you are putting it on a bulgarian gun, you can do it.

You will need to remove (carefully) the rivets from the rear tang.

The existing two holes in the receiver should line up with two of the holes on the new folding block.

Then all that needs to be done, is to remove the metal on the receiver (mostly on the left side) to let the folding block fit in.

After you rivet it in, you will need to cut the slot in the front of the receiver (for the latch) and drill the hole for the latch pin.

If you do all this right, you will need minimal finishing. But in most cases, you'd want to refinish the whole receiver.

If you can get someone to do it all for $375.00 it sounds like a lot. When you consider that people are building complete side folding bulgies for under $300.00 including finishing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
my romo folder was a bitch to fit in my sar-2, had to do a bit filing and actually had to heat up the strut to get the receiver pad in the butt plate to actually hit the receiver
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Who sells the bulgarian sidefolder like the one above?  I can only find one on gunbroker.

Thanks,
BJohnson
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top