Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:21:45 PM EDT
Just ran onto this at
http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail.asp?SDID=5588:1603
It almost made me fell sorry for the poor little hoplophobes.  Almost.

What is Gun Phobia?

Known by a number of names - Hoplophobia, Fear of Firearms, and Fear of Guns being the most common - the problem often significantly impacts the quality of life. It can cause panic attacks and keep people apart from loved ones and business associates. Symptoms typically include shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, and overall feelings of dread, although everyone experiences gun phobia in their own way and may have different symptoms.

If you are living with gun phobia, what is the real cost to your health, your career or school, and to your family life? Avoiding the issue indefinitely would mean resigning yourself to living in fear, missing out on priceless life experiences big and small, living a life that is just a shadow of what it will be when the problem is gone.

For anyone earning a living, the financial toll of this phobia is incalculable. Living with fear means you can never concentrate fully and give your best. Lost opportunities. Poor performance or grades. Promotions that pass you by. gun phobia will likely cost you tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime, let alone the cost to your health and quality of life.

AKs must be especially terrifying (trembles).

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they forgot the word "irrational" in there a few times...

Aren't most, if not all, phobias an irrational fear?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, At least I can definately mark that one off the list (NA)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
We should feel sorry for them... it is a mental disease. The only people (IMHO) that have a good excuse for a fear of firearms are folks that have survived genocides in places like Bosnia, Cambodia, Rwanda (fear of machetes too!), etc.  For all those suburbanites with a fear of firearms I have but 3 words... Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I was right.

pho·bi·a    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fb-)
n.
A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.  

Irrational.

Hoplophobiacs?  Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I especially like it when anti-gunners accuse gun owners of living in fear, when they are so scared of inanimate objects that they want to trample on peoples rights.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top