Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:49:19 AM EDT
I saw this post for 30rd Saiga 7.62x39 magazines.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=321489
If these magazines just lock right in, doesn't that me the Saiga will now be banned from importation because it now has the ability to accept hicaps and is therefore no longer considered a sporting rifle?  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually no. The Saiga gets around in that they are not military magazines..Being able to accept a high cap mag is only forbidden if its a military magazine. If its a civilian only magazine (like the Saigas) its ok.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Actually no. The Saiga gets around in that they are not military magazines..Being able to accept a high cap mag is only forbidden if its a military magazine. If its a civilian only magazine (like the Saigas) its ok.

Stottman, how sure are you of that? The reason I ask is that Robinson Armament can't import hi-cap mags for the VEPR 308, which is only a civilian weapon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I have over 20 of these then............

may get scarce.

(Izzy 30rd 7.62....not VEPR .308)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]

The Saiga gets around in that they are not military magazines..Being able to accept a high cap mag is only forbidden if its a military magazine. If its a civilian only magazine (like the Saigas) its ok.

Do you have a source for this information?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they weren't supposed to originally be imported for Saigas....yet they were by EAA, and later via internet..i.e. Oleg@Rusmilitary, and now AndyArts/Ruseller/Andrei.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Glad I have over 20 of these then............

may get scarce.

(Izzy 30rd 7.62....not VEPR .308)

I realize they were talkingabout Saiga 7.62x39 hi-caps, but the laws should be the same for the 308 Vepr. If hi-caps can be imported for the Saiga, why not for the Vepr 308 which is also a civilian-only rifle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Saiga gets around in that they are not military magazines..Being able to accept a high cap mag is only forbidden if its a military magazine. If its a civilian only magazine (like the Saigas) its ok.

Do you have a source for this information?

Look at the ATF pages on AW.. The actual term they use is "Military High capicity magazines". A Saiga (and its products) is a civilian product.

EAA was importing hi cap mags as well, before they dropped the line... So they are not all grey market imports.

While it is possible the ATF could of changed the status later, at present its legal.

Other companies dont import hi caps for the Vepr/Saiga because they dont make them...Even these mags are normally sold in Europe blocked to 10 rds. The Saiga 7.62 mags are modified AK103/104 mags.

EAA was taking back orders for 20rd Saiga .308 mags, but they never arrived. Guess the Russians were too slow in making them.

They do make 10/45rd Vepr .223 mags......
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't those Molot 45rpk mags for 5.45x39?

Do they have them in both 5.45x39, and .223?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Aren't those Molot 45rpk mags for 5.45x39?

Do they have them in both 5.45x39, and .223?

Both.. Molot makes a 5.56 RPK74M for export, and a semi auto version as the Vepr 1B.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top